Jareth

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

We all know that city, Liverpool and Arsenal will be there or thereabouts.

Spurs have had easy fixtures and have a thin squad and will be impacted by African nations cup as well for 4/5 games as will have a few players that will go away for that. 

Not to mention the inevitable Maddison injury that will sideline him for 2-3 weeks.

Edited by ejs1111

Personally I think Arsenal will lose some momentum eventually. Same for Spurs. 

I don't know if we can keep the great results, but I'd be willing to bet Emery's Villa will be more consistent than those two. 

• Like 2

I look at the title race similarly to how I looked at the race for Europe in the second half of last season. I am enjoying the ride, taking it each game as it comes. I notice that things have opened up and we have given ourselves a chance. We just have to enjoy this and see where it takes us.

20 hours ago, jayEm said:

Assuming they continue at their current form, I think staying competitive in the table all season with the top four of City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs would be a mighty achievement. Do that and stay clear of Newcastle and Brighton and we can be very, very happy.

What I really love about this is Man United and Chelsea don't even get mentioned... can they really both stay this bad all season? I'm sure they can, but something nags at me. 

56 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

What I really love about this is Man United and Chelsea don't even get mentioned... can they really both stay this bad all season? I'm sure they can, but something nags at me. 

I feel eventually it will click at Chelsea and they'll become a very good at least attacking team who score a lot. Hopefully by then though it will be too late for them to really push on for Europe. Man U are terrible now but will get a truck load of iffy decisions and Vs teams in the bottom half it will only take Rashford and Bruno to be bothered for a half a game to be the difference so I wouldn't be surprised to see them win say 6 in a row at some point while not looking especially decent. 

We just have to try and get a point or two at least vs city, arsenal and pool home and away, beat the bottom 6 home and away, and Vs teams 5th-14th win at home and draw away with the odd win. We won't go undefeated but balance on points average, do that and we'll be on for high 70's/low 80's points and that should be enough for top 3 or 4th if arsenal don't fade..

To win the league will require probably both of city and pool having catastrophic injuries or points deductions etc which is next to impossible to happen 

Edited by VillaJ100

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

1/3 of the season is gone and they are 7 and 10 points behind us already. As we saw when we were 'stuck' in 11th last season it takes a lot of work to catch up that many points. It would need the top 5 gang (and most importantly, us) to have a run of bad form as well as them completely turning things around to catch up. Certainly not impossible at this stage, but getting harder by the week. I can see Utd getting worse as it gets more toxic there and no real signs of improvement at Chelsea yet, though I think they are more likely to improve.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I feel eventually it will click at Chelsea

I'm not sure about this. I think Poch is better suited to manage older players who already know how to win, like Ancelotti. These Chelsea players are mostly young and unaccustomed to the pressure and demands of playing for a club like Chelsea in the media glare of West London, in a league as competitive as the Prem. They'll collect points against the lower table riff raff, but struggle badly against the top 7.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

The thing is. Man u and Chelsea are mid table clubs this season, after a quarter of the season. We have been a top 4 team, points wise this season, and most of last season.

So which part of it would change for them to be a threat to us? We suddenly start playing like a mid table team, and they both start playing like a top 4 team? Because you need both of those things to happen for either of them to overtake us. We are 3 wins above them already and have scored twice as many goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I feel eventually it will click at Chelsea and they'll become a very good at least attacking team who score a lot. Hopefully by then though it will be too late for them to really push on for Europe. Man U are terrible now but will get a truck load of iffy decisions and Vs teams in the bottom half it will only take Rashford and Bruno to be bothered for a half a game to be the difference so I wouldn't be surprised to see them win say 6 in a row at some point while not looking especially decent. 

We just have to try and get a point or two at least vs city, arsenal and pool home and away, beat the bottom 6 home and away, and Vs teams 5th-14th win at home and draw away with the odd win. We won't go undefeated but balance on points average, do that and we'll be on for high 70's/low 80's points and that should be enough for top 3 or 4th if arsenal don't fade..

To win the league will require probably both of city and pool having catastrophic injuries or points deductions etc which is next to impossible to happen 

Leicester absolutely smashed both Liverpool and Man City over the whole season. Its closer to unlikeky than impossible that we do it.