Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/10/23 at 22:59

Was absolutely certain we would get smashed by at least three goals and did not see that performance coming. Looked like a side with and without the ball and if we can hold on to that level of performance as a baseline then good things are ahead !

• Like 1

Well, that'll do, Villa, that'll do. 

Great game from the boys in the claret & blue. 

Ollie obviously motm 3+1 and directly involved in the other two goals too. 

I don't like that Digne thought it was a good thing to make me a little nervous. But how much he's improved this season. 

The swedish studio argued that the 2nd goal should've been called off for offside. I agree that it was but it's doing my head in that they have never even thought of the possibility that the same happened against liverpool. 

Nevermind, 6-1 is frigging wonderfull and it's a great Saturday. 

UTV!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

One of the great mysteries of life why so many people on this forum cack themselves in the lead up to us playing Brighton.

For whatever reason season in season out they can't handle playing us.

Far more worried about the West Ham game.

What an amazing performance from us. First 10 minutes felt like it would be a tight, cat and mouse european game and then we just scored and steamroller them.

We just don't believe we're going to lose at home (in the league) which is an amazing feeling considering how mediocre our home form has been for pretty much every season since the 90s finished. Momentum is everything in football sometimes.

They’re obviously a good side and I wouldn’t have considered anything like today’s scoreline.

But yeah, our record is extremely good against them, think it might only be Everton who we’ve picked up more points against since coming back.

And we have it us to hammer sides (would like it to happen more often :)) and despite being quality, Brighton are capable of having a mare like against West Ham this season, or Forest/Everton towards the end of last season.

That coupled with a home crowd up for it, great record at VP, players wanting to amend for a midweek home defeat, Watkins having found his shooting boots the week before…perfect storm (much like our opening game of this season but this in reverse).

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I did not see this result coming! Very pleased for Ollie to bag another hat trick to follow up on last weeks winner. Hopefully he is up and running now for the season. 

Just think, we are not at full strength yet, the team is gelling and getting better. UTV

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Was absolutely certain we would get smashed by at least three goals and did not see that performance coming. Looked like a side with and without the ball and if we can hold on to that level of performance as a baseline then good things are ahead !

We havent conceded more than one home league goal in a game in about 8 months.

I said in the pre match thread, where are all these weird predictions of us losing by 3 or 4 coming from.

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 1

manager and all players were great.  The thing that stood out to me was our midfield shape.   we started with doug and kamara in center, zaniolo left and SJM right.  When we had possession, Cash advanced, Kamara dropped into RB and SJM moved into the double pivot central with Doug.  

The coordination between Doug and SJM was perfect, one stayed to cover the CB's and the other pressed into the attack.  Doug got a goal from it. 

The other thing I noticed we did is when brighton was building, digne, doug, ollie and dobi pressed center and our left.  while SJM stayed deep and central inviting them to put the ball out to their left.  then as they progressed, the trap was sprung.  SJM, Kamara and Matty collapsed onto the ball and the passing lanes.  they lost possession in our right side more often than they progressed.

Unai brilliance and intelligent tactical application by Cash, Kamara, SJM, and Luiz.  Ollie had to get MOTM, but all 4 of these really deserve honorable mention.

• Like 4

What an amazing performance that was. A couple of pretty amazing stats from the match are that Watkins had 6 shots with 4 on target and played 5 key passes which is amazing. The other crazy stat at the other end of the spectrum is Zaniolo made 6 passes in his 57 minutes with 2 completed. I’ve never seen passing stats as bad as that for Villa and that includes Hogan and the fact we still destroyed them is brilliant.

if you let us run at you, no matter who you are, no matter how clever you might be, we'll score goals.

We looked razor sharp, incisive, thought out and dangerous on the break all day - like we might score every single time we attacked.

Brighton are a very, very good side and we made it look easy - tactically, with our commitment, our running and with some quality play.

Six goals makes for a very lovely afternoon.

Brighton? No sweat.

• Like 3