Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/10/23 at 22:59

19 minutes ago, villan95 said:

An excellent win. The first half especially was brilliant. Spells where we were really on the front foot and seemed to win every duel. The 2nd half was slightly different and we had to weather a bit of a storm for 20 mins but overall we did that well and then countered to devastating effect. 

The thing that struck me is, I don't think Brighton looked that bad.....They are, and still are, a very good team.

We beat a very good team comprehensively on the day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well, I got this one wrong. I predicted 3-2. Like Brighton, I underestimate Prof. Emery and company at my peril.

Can you tell me any predictor that got this score right.?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing that struck me is, I don't think Brighton looked that bad.....They are, and still are, a very good team.

We beat a very good team comprehensively on the day.

Yep, similarly Newcastle did it to us and then Brighton to them. I think we're all good teams but it happens, especially when a team is at home and really up for it.

Just now, villan95 said:

Yep, similarly Newcastle did it to us and then Brighton to them. I think we're all good teams but it happens, especially when a team is at home and really up for it.

Thats Key.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rubberman said:

If Southgate doesn't pick Konsa and Watkins after this performance then I don't know what else to say. 

Sat in  the sun in a beach bar in Croatia watching this. Couldn't be happier. Well played everyone. Superb performance. 

I suspect JJ won't go unnoticed to the discerning eye either.

9 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

10 on the bounce at home in the league and 6 clean sheets. Not bad for a team that doesn’t do the defensive work as well as other teams allegedly. 

Not bad at all.....I guess we need to Praise the good defensive work today, and be objective towards the days, when its not praiseworthy.

To suggest that the poor defensive displays didn't happen because of today is sheer Folly.

Look, I want to enjoy the days, when we get it right too.....so don't prod the bear, looking for a reaction, on the basis that today was great and last game wasn't .....it has no bearing on other days, don't try to make out it has.

Trying to suck me in, to defending my comments of the Everton or Legia games is poor sport on a day, when I want to rejoice like you.

10 hours ago, rubberman said:

If Southgate doesn't pick Konsa and Watkins after this performance then I don't know what else to say. 

Sat in  the sun in a beach bar in Croatia watching this. Couldn't be happier. Well played everyone. Superb performance. 

Have to say Gareth was looking distinctly puzzled and gloomy as Ollie was banging in the goals. Bit of a blow to his preconceptions?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Hmmmmm I'm not sure it works like that.

I think each game has to be taken on its merits......The League cup used to be our thing, we have history with it, I think it was sad, we went out in the fashion we did...it was an opportunity for us.

The Brighton game, was a different entity, just a fantastic performance and result, under different circumstances.

I don't think there can be a trade-off, as such.

Even Man City have begun to turn their noses up at the Carabo Cup, and you know how Pep likes to win everything. I think teams who have ambitions to be a top 6 side see that cup more as a hindrance, sad but true.

• Like 1

Well then. That wasn't bad, was it?

Hard to pick a poor player for Villa - what an outstanding performance!

3 things I learned:

• I used to make fun of people who couldn't understand offside - but I no longer know what it is.
  • Our players are incredibly adaptable - which is just as well given the extremes in officiating. Today was "fall and I'll blow the whistle" - the complete antithesis of last week.
  • We've been missing Ramsey
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Not bad at all.....I guess we need to Praise the good defensive work today, and be objective towards the days, when its not praiseworthy.

To suggest that the poor defensive displays didn't happen because of today is sheer Folly.

Look, I want to enjoy the days, when we get it right too.....so don't prod the bear, looking for a reaction, on the basis that today was great and last game wasn't .....it has no bearing on other days, don't try to make out it has.

Trying to suck me in, to defending my comments of the Everton or Legia games is poor sport on a day, when I want to rejoice like you.

10 on the bounce 6 clean sheets, 4 goals conceded. Maybe the ‘poor’ defensive displays are overblown and exaggerated. ? 

12 hours ago, romavillan said:

Had to give my statement and hospital papers etc to the Cisterna police! Listened to some commentary on a stream on my phone in the car though for about 15 mins... 

Big statement made today, fairly decent run of fixtures coming too. 

Hope you’re on the mend man, that 6-1 victory will be good for the soul at least! 

• Like 1

Great win with the whole team up for it from the off. Ollie put on a master class today and could have scored five.

Konsa was class again and SJM had a blinder, everyone else had a decent game with us coming out worthy winners.

UTV

Great team performance today. We out-Brighton'd Brighton.

Although Ollie got his hat-trick it was not a forgone conclusion he was the MotM. His performance (and those of Konsa & JJ), was well timed with Southgate in attendance. Another fine exhibition by Dougie, he really does make us. Well supported today by Kamara & SJM tick. Nice cameo by JJ.

We have a good run of fixtures coming up, so we need to keep to up the momentum

Onwards & Upwards!

(will keep this short today, have some jobs to get done before the Ryder Cup starts 🇪🇺⛳)

Just now, chappy said:

Great day at VP. Special shout out to the Konsa through ball and McGinn free kick routine faux run up. Ref was atrocious.

having had such a mixed bag of set pieces over the last couple of years, it was almost as if we did not have to practice the first part of that routine.🤣

• Haha 1