Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/10/23 at 22:59

Destroyed a very decent Brighton side that we seem to have the hex on. I mean even Gerrard beat them.

An excellent team performance but Ollie, Dougie, Diaby and Cash were excellent. Emery got the tactics spot on with the counter attacking.

Easily the best football I have seen at Villa Park.

10 wins a row at home, that is an amazing effort. It is still less than a year since Emery came in and the differences are huge.

Just hope we can go strong on Thursday and not do an Everton.

Unreal result, as per my pre match post I did not record the match - perhaps this is the way to go!

I honestly thought we’d lose today, so to win 6-1 is beyond comprehension right now, saw about half the match, can’t wait to see the highlights when I get in.

something about Emery isn’t there? Every time we lose (save for the 3 in a row last season) we always bounce back big time.

Im sick of saying it but just build his statue now and be done with it, best manager in my 35+ years supporting this great club.

My only concern about this result is that it makes it harder to fly under the radar as Emery has done so cleverly until now.

He has very quietly been building an excellent squad and, despite the absence of three or four really key players, we are starting to see what they can do. Other managers and football pundits don’t seem to have noticed this so far but I suspect we will be coming in for closer attention from now on. I am sure other managers will be making much more comprehensive plans to counteract our attacking style.

What a performance today. I haven’t seen a rampant performance like that for many years. So many star turns - I can’t really think of a weak link, but Kamara, McGinn, and Douglas Luiz were outstanding. King of it all was Ollie who was totally on fire. Very pleasing to see Jacob come back for a superb little cameo as well.

All hail King Emery!

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

Long, painful, injured day at work, just got home hobbling, f****** train delayed yet again... my excuse for this very late yippee... Yippee ! 😃

Wow. 5 wins from our first 7 matches!!! Magnificent. Even better than MON's start to his 1st season?! I remember well thay we won 3 from the first 6 that season, I attended one of them (the 2-0 at home to Charlton).

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I wonder how far back in history we’d actually have to go to find when we last won 10 home league games in a row?

According to the BBC it's since 1983, apparently. I think i read this evening that we somehow won 13 top home flight games in a row that year?!

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robby b said:

According to the BBC it's since 1983, apparently. I think i read this evening that we somehow won 13 top flight games in a row that year?!

Is that the season after we won the European Cup? We must have done pretty good in the league that season!

So we need to beat West Ham, Luton and Fulham to equal it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is that the season after we won the European Cup? We must have done pretty good in the league that season!

So we need to beat West Ham, Luton and Fulham to equal it.

Sorry, I meant to wtite 13 top flight *home* games in a row! What an amazing fortress then and now ! : >

Edited by robby b

12 minutes ago, robby b said:

Sorry, I meant to wtite 13 top flight *home* games in a row! What an amazing fortress then and now ! : >

I don't think that is correct.

season 1982/83

We had 2 runs of home wins that season a 8 game winning run and a 9 game winning run, with a loss to Liverpool in between.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think that is correct.

season 1982/83

We had 2 runs of home wins that season a 8 game winning run and a 9 game winning run, with a loss to Liverpool in between.

From the BBC's match report today: "This was Villa's 10th home league win in a row - their best run since registering 13 home league victories in succession 40 years ago." But maybe those 13 games weren't all in the league, maybe they were in all competitions? Apologies if so.

Edited by robby b

2 hours ago, Hornso said:

If we’re going to get results like that in the league, against that level of opposition, I’m ok with going out of the league cup.

Hmmmmm I'm not sure it works like that.

I think each game has to be taken on its merits......The League cup used to be our thing, we have history with it, I think it was sad, we went out in the fashion we did...it was an opportunity for us.

The Brighton game, was a different entity, just a fantastic performance and result, under different circumstances.

I don't think there can be a trade-off, as such.

An excellent win. The first half especially was brilliant. Spells where we were really on the front foot and seemed to win every duel. The 2nd half was slightly different and we had to weather a bit of a storm for 20 mins but overall we did that well and then countered to devastating effect. 

Edited by villan95

23 hours ago, robby b said:

From the BBC's match report today: "This was Villa's 10th home league win in a row - their best run since registering 13 home league victories in succession 40 years ago." But maybe those 13 games weren't all in the league, maybe they were in all competitions? Apologies if so.

just going by the bible " Aston Villa the Complete Record"......(no need to apologise), I went through the League results at home and there was no 13 game consecutive wins, in that year to my knowledge.

The BBC have better resources than me, but I couldn't detect it.

I don't know the answer to your question....but I suspect 10 consecutive home league wins wasn't done very often....its impressive.

In 1980/81 when we won the league Title, we won 16 home games from a possible 21....those sequences went 2-5-5-2-2

I would suspect to match 10 consecutive Home wins in the League, will take some tracking down.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1