Cup final 2/6 pre match

Pinebro

I’d go with this:

Martinez

cash.       Carlos.     Pau.     Moreno

Luiz.       Kamara

mcginn                                  Ramsey

Zaniolo.   Duran

Still a very strong side but gives an opportunity for those returning from injury to get some minutes.I’d also like to see zaniolo given a run out in the diaby role 

it’s a shame that tielemans and dendoncker have been so poor when used as we could really do with resting Luiz and kamara. But after everton I really don’t think we can afford to swap either of them out. Hopefully we can take an early lead and allow some subs later on 

• Like 2

Only one change I'd be happy with is Ramsey coming on, either for Zaniolo in a direct swap or Diaby if he's injured, with Zaniolo taking his role. Otherwise go strong. If we don't win, we're pretty much out after two games. I don't see any realistic path to progression from this group that doesn't involve winning this game. 

• Like 1

Need to get that balance right and rotate a couple of players in without weakening the side. The likes of Chambers can’t be trusted, clearly, but we can’t play the same 11 every game in all comps either. 

Oh, and we pretty much have to win. No slacking and half-arsing it. 

We keep saying "this team should be enough to beat X" but we keep losing.

I would probably do 2 changes at most. Duran for Watkins and Ramsey for Zaniolo.

When it comes to Olsen there is no reason to play him. Keepers don't get fatigued. Should only play if Martinez is injured imo

• Like 1

On 30/09/2023 at 17:42, VillaChris said:

Other than knowing they're Bosnian I genuinely know nothing about Zrinjski. That however is part of the charm of european runs.

Luka Modric started his career there.

That's my only knowledge and you're about the 500th person i've told in the last month ;) 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'd play Watkins in this. He's on fire. He will score.

Yes. Diaby started the last game so you'd think with him getting a few knocks v Brighton it makes sense to rest him up for Wolves and bring in Ollie as the experienced front man.

Maybe a chance to play him alongside Duran and see how that looks?

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes. Diaby started the last game so you'd think with him getting a few knocks v Brighton it makes sense to rest him up for Wolves and bring in Ollie as the experienced front man.

Maybe a chance to play him alongside Duran and see how that looks?

I'd love to see Ollie and Duran playing together 😍

We really need to be winning this after we fought so hard to qualify for Europe. We have to put a marker down and go with a strong team and show we are taking this seriously. I would probably just look to start Ramsey and Carlos if he’s ready, and keep the rest from Saturday. 

By all means take some players off if we are winning comfortably, but not before. There’s an international break after Wolves anyway so let’s just go for it, I say. 

• Like 1

Minimal rotation. If we rotate 5 or more players we're asking to be humbled. 

3 players at most would be my choice.

Diaby and Watkins rested in place of Ramsey and Duran. Zaniolo moves to Diaby role, Ramsey into to Zaniolo's.

Then maybe one more in defence if Carlos or Moreno are fit...

Any more and we lose the cohesion and we've seen what Olsen, Tielemans and Donk bring playing from the start. We don't want that again. They don't deserve the opportunity again at the moment.

If you're winning comfortably, we can then bring on 2 players at half time, and 3 more at 60 minutes.

Wolves will be a really tough game, they're on a high from beating City and we always struggle there, so having our core team only playing 60 minutes or less will be perfect prep for it. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

I'm worried he will start Dedonker and Youri  

Asking for a beating then IMHO. We cannot take this team lightly if we rotate the team too much all i can see is a beating, then we will be facing a uphill task to progress in our 1st year in a long time in Europe.  This is a must win game

I expect 1 or 2 changes but expect the core to remain.