Cup final 2/6 pre match

Pinebro

For all the end of season celebrations at qualifying for Europe and getting 7th place it does seem to be all falling a bit flat especially as this is our first home game playing European football for ages and it doesn't appear to be a sell out (yet).

If we don't win tonight is this a deliberate tactic of not taking European football seriously then? Is it all about just getting to the best position in the premier league? in that case what is the point?

I wonder if there has been a deliberate change in strategy that because of the amount of injuries at the start of this season the club have decided to "concentrate on the league"....

I hope I am wrong

13 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

For all the end of season celebrations at qualifying for Europe and getting 7th place it does seem to be all falling a bit flat especially as this is our first home game playing European football for ages and it doesn't appear to be a sell out (yet).

If we don't win tonight is this a deliberate tactic of not taking European football seriously then? Is it all about just getting to the best position in the premier league? in that case what is the point?

I wonder if there has been a deliberate change in strategy that because of the amount of injuries at the start of this season the club have decided to "concentrate on the league"....

I hope I am wrong

Looks like it will sell out tbf

11 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I hope I am wrong

I really don’t think so, it’s just that we can’t keep playing the same players over and over again and we have been desperately unlucky with injuries.

Personally, I like that we are prioritising our better players for league games - our standing in the league is important and we want to progress as a club and be more competitive against PL competition.

That doesn’t mean we aren’t taking cup competitions seriously though, we just have to utilise our squad. And players need to feel involved and gain sharpness too.

Just imagine how much better off we would have been and how much less of a drop off there would’ve been if Unai had been able to rotate as intended - without those key players injured or out for the season. The options would have been so much better…

If we don’t play our back up players, they’ll never be ready or sharp enough. No choice but to play them into form, it’s up to them to step up.

-

Anyway, on to a good performance and result tonight… I hope.

UTV

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Seen Zrinjski's match against AZ. Mad game where there were completely dominated against in the first half and got two out of the blue goals and suddenly they were a different team.

Started 7 Croatians against AZ, so as you would expect, they are a decent technical side and they can zip the ball around and are quite inventive around the box, but their defence doesn't seem particularly strong physically and second balls can be won against them in midfield too. They are a threat however from set-pieces due to pretty good deliveries. They sat back mostly in that game in a 4-5-1 which switched to a 4-3-3 when attacking but they often left large gaps in midfield in transition.

On paper this should be a comfortable win for Villa, but Europe is difficult as you are playing sides that are used to winning every week and so their confidence levels are extremely high and then with them coming to a Premier League ground, they will look to impress.

Our injury situation is starting to become a real concern but hopefully we will have more than enough for tomorrow night.

Apparently, their keeper is a real weak link. We have to test him and pepper their goal with shots…

As a whole, fans and players, we need to find a way to be intimidating and instil a fear factor in the opposition…

15 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I hope I am wrong

I think we are interested in progressing in all the competitions, but we proved against Everton and Brighton, the team can have a stark performance gap, from game to game....for whatever reason.

Developing consistency is the challenge moving forward....despite the sublime performances, sadly, the dark ones still rear their ugly head, from time to time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Zaniolo will be the main outlet, would like to see him in the Diaby role for this with either Watkins or Duran beside him.

Yeah, let’s get him on the scoresheet. May do wonders for his form and confidence… I’d prefer to see him playing up there rather than the wing.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Is this match heading towards a must win?

Out of the mini league we are in with 4 teams, is it the top 2 that go through? or is it just the team that finish top?

Yes only the top 1 goes through into the next round. 

The team that finishes second goes into a play-off round, where they play a team that came third in their Europa League group.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm in Legoland Deutschland on my Todd.

Is there some weird cooky TV channel I can get this on?

Must remember I'm +1hr as well! 

From here the foreign channels showing it are :

Arena Sport 1 HD BiH     
Arena Sport 2 HD Croatia     
Arena Sport 5 HD Serbia     
beIN Connect MENA HD 
beIN Sports MENA 6 HD     
Blue Sport 20 Live HD     
Cytavision Sports 7 HD     
ESPN 4 Nederland HD     
EXXEN Digital Türkiye [$]  
M+ Liga de Campeones 10     
Megogo Futbol 6 ($/geo/R)     
RMC Sport Live 12     
SuperSport MáXimo 1 HD     
SuperSport Variety 3 HD     
TNT Sports 2 HD UK     
TSN Malta 7 HD     
TV8.5 Türkiye HD
V Sport 2 Norge HD     
ViaPlay Baltic HD     
ViaPlay Norge HD     
ViaPlay Polska HD     
ViaPlay Suomi HD     
ViaPlay Sverige HD     
ViaPlay Ísland HD     
Virgin Media MORE HD

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’ll be nice to see the shirt with no sponsor on again tonight… I assume 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Couldn't we have done a quick deal with an anti-perspirant brand? I think our shirts were made for it and we could have raked the money in.:D   Advert for Sure Deodorant, 1970s - Film 1093303 - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Haha 1