Cup Final 4 of 37 Pre-Match

TheAuthority

Crystal Palace have done OK under Hodgson though I would also put it down to the opposition they have played. They beat all three relegated teams in Hodgsons first 3 games whilst also beating West Ham and Bournemouth who were hovering over the bottom three for large parts of last season. Looking at their form from the opening 4 games they've beat a Sheff Utd side who hadn't really improved their squad at the time and one of the favourites to go down and also beat Wolves who are probably going to be hovering around the bottom 6 so whilst they've been OK I wouldn't say they have beaten anybody of note.

Just seen they've got injury doubts over Marc Guehi who would be a blow for them if his missing. After our home form towards the end of last season I'm expecting there to be fair few boring games at Villa park this season as teams will defend and be happy with a point. Can see this being maybe a repeat of the 1-0 win last season where Palace didn't really offer anything going forward. Might have to patient in breaking them down. Got to be a game where Watkins will finally score a league goal. 

Going for a 1-0 Villa win. 

3 hours ago, wict01 said:

Don't know if anybody else takes any notice of these but I quite like reading the "Jones Knows" betting and score predictions articles on Sky Sports every week. Link below if anyone is interested;

Premier League predictions: Brighton to rock Manchester United, Brentford to hit vulnerable Newcastle defence | Football News | Sky Sports

He says in our preview (and mentions it in the Wolves v Liverpool preview) that we're quite overrated? And follows it up with tipping Palace to win. Don't know if it's just me but I feel that's quite a harsh comment, I don't think we're especially overrated by anybody. I see plenty of articles about "non big six" combined teams and very few in any of our players ever seem to come up in those. I don't think we're in a different class to Brighton for example, and yet people will rave about them. I would think that looking to beat Palace at home would be a fairly standard point of view for any side just looking to finish top half, never mind in European contention.  

Guessing he's an Arsenal fan.

Feel like the team picks itself due to injuries...

Watkins

Diaby                 Bailey

Luiz      McGinn

Kamara

Digne Torres Konsa Cash

Emi

Zaniolo maybe in place of Bailey?

Moreno on the bench due to lacking match fitness but coming on at some point. 

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

They’re weakened massively with no Guehi, Lerma or Olise. 

We should win this.

I’d like to see Zaniolo start. Not sure where he will play though. 

On paper yes but we also got a cb pairing of pau-konsa which doesnt inspire me with much confidence 

Thank god they dont have zaha anymore he woild have  a field day

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

On paper yes but we also got a cb pairing of pau-konsa which doesnt inspire me with much confidence 

Thank god they dont have zaha anymore he woild have  a field day

Think that’s very harsh on Konsa who is mostly excellent.

Agreed on Torres though. He’s got a long way to go given what I’ve seen so far. 

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Think that’s very harsh on Konsa who is mostly excellent.

Agreed on Torres though. He’s got a long way to go given what I’ve seen so far. 

I agree konsa has been good but my broader conceen is the partnership betwen konsa and pau looks veey suspect so far and thata more to pau. Im hoping as season progresses pau will get  better  defensively 

On 13/09/2023 at 16:39, WakefieldVillan said:

Hopefully Guehi doesn't make it for them, it would help our cause - Having said that, we have a good record against this lot at VP, so hopefully that continues.

I don't think they will come out all guns blazing, which probably suits us. Keep Eze quiet (no mean feat) then I think we might have too much for them.

2-1 Watkins, Diaby 

Depends who they put instead, Chris Richards is a decent prospect. If it's James Tomkins we're laughing given Watkins and Diaby have both had two weeks off so they'll be as fresh as anything.

Have to say Eze is one of my favourite players to watch in the league. Wonder how much Palace would want for him and if he could be a serious target? Perhaps we'll have to wait for them to get relegated and then snap him up for 40-50m like Spurs did with Maddison.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I watched their game against Wolves the other day - the international break does crazy things to a person - and Palace were outplayed up until their first goal. Eze was the main threat of course but Mateta linked up well with Edouard when he came on. Roy will probably start with Schlupp still. He plays as an extra body in midfield and Mitchell provides the width on the left. Joel Ward is showing his age a bit on the other side so those fullback areas could be something to exploit. Our home record in recent times is excellent and Palace haven't beaten us at Villa park for 10 years. So I fancy us for a routine win.

Ward is as safety first a full back as they come, I'm sure he was playing for Palace in about 1998! Certainly key is to get Diaby, Zaniolo, Digne and McGinn all that side and create endless overloads and hopefully Ollie is awake for the crosses. 

• Like 1

Can't afford for players to be having one eye on Thursday, as that will trip us up.

Palace will likely sit in and try and break on us, so need to take chances when they come. Can't afford to be passing up good opportunities like we have (been the case even in games we won e.g. against Burnley both Ollie and Zaniolo missed gilt edged chances)

• Like 1

Would be putting out 

EM

MC EK PT LD

Jm  bk  dl 

Nz Md

ow 

We still have options on the bench to switch systems 

After the dismal failure of last seasons lucky pants on our 1st game this season I have to find a new lucky pair as haven't worn them since. I may have to root through the attic and see which old villa top to wear, probs my none muller one.

Going for a 5 - 1 win