Cup Final 4 of 37 Pre-Match

TheAuthority

19 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Palace are not a high press team and certainly not away. They are content with playing in a low block and then breaking with pace and their game winners (Eze, Edouard). This team is being managed by Big Roy after all.

So that spells some trouble for me in terms of our defense, particularly down the left. Eze starts central and has floated around the pitch. I think Cash and Konsa can handle him but can Pau and Digne? Hmmmm.

I think vs a low press we can get away with McGinn on the left this game and he can help out defensively as he's more inclined to do than Zaniolo.

Then again - Unai did roll out the configuration against Liverpool when the match had already been decided and he had Zaniolo on the left and McGinn on the right and Diaby still in the middle. He still prefers Diaby in the middle which I think will work at home when in possession but I have questions about it away.

Control should be the name of this game and I expect it will be a bit flat as that is what Roy wants and Unai does not want an up and down game.

First goal should win and I would attack down Ayew's side.

We can propose all the systems we like.....but it comes down to individual performances, morphing in to a collective performance.....No 6's please.

We need 7's & 8s at least.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s because we asked for the first game to be away.

5 other clubs also had 3 away games in first 4. Fulham, Forest, Spurs, West Ham, Wolves,

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TRO said:

We can propose all the systems we like.....but it comes down to individual performances, morphing in to a collective performance.....No 6's please.

We need 7's & 8s at least.

True but the system puts the players in the best positions. Once Unai figured that out vs different opponents, we will be tougher to beat. 

After all, this is largely the same set of players under Gerrard and I’m sure he couldn’t just say, give me 8’s instead of 6’s out there. 

no excuses not to win this, but the performance in particular v liverpool will cast a long shadow until we can prove we aren't soft as **** in defence and Ollie can actually score goals against proper teams again

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

It seems like ages since we played last. 

Palace will be hard to beat, Roy will have them well organised and he’ll want to get good counter attacking opportunities. 

There are a few players pushing for a starting spot. But I think I’d go with

Emi

Cash Konsa Pau Digne

Luiz Bouba

Diaby Zaniolo McGinn 

Ollie

Hoping to see JJ and Moreno on the bench! 

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

True but the system puts the players in the best positions. Once Unai figured that out vs different opponents, we will be tougher to beat. 

After all, this is largely the same set of players under Gerrard and I’m sure he couldn’t just say, give me 8’s instead of 6’s out there. 

Its not one or the other, its both......But if you play 10 outfield players, with prime offensive qualites, and questionable defensive qualities,  its not likely you will be hard to beat, irrespective of the system you choose.

Its hard to identify a team set up right, with the right system, and still lose....but it happens, if other factors are not right.

I accept you point about maximising the players opportunity to play well......but after that, they have to execute it too.

I am not sure, I understand, what you are alluding to with your last line....Many was Dean Smiths signings too, so not sure of the relevance.

Unai Emery, needs 8's from his players in addition to his  tactical brain......without it, his work is diluted.

I am certainly not suggesting its just a case of saying to the players, give me 8's and sending them out unprepared.....what I am saying is, when the preparation is complete and the training ground work is done, and the line-up is balanced to win a game.....the players need to deliver 8's....else the prep work is negated.

PS When I am watching a game, I am not aware of what work has been done at BMH or the instructions given out( I can only guess).....I am aware of the set up, but as importantly, I watch the player performances, and their effect on the game.

Edited by TRO

I watched their game against Wolves the other day - the international break does crazy things to a person - and Palace were outplayed up until their first goal. Eze was the main threat of course but Mateta linked up well with Edouard when he came on. Roy will probably start with Schlupp still. He plays as an extra body in midfield and Mitchell provides the width on the left. Joel Ward is showing his age a bit on the other side so those fullback areas could be something to exploit. Our home record in recent times is excellent and Palace haven't beaten us at Villa park for 10 years. So I fancy us for a routine win.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Seems a bit arrogant. Palace are not that bad.

I don't mind the arrogance, but I don't think "Easy win" is what happens. I've never once seen Palace just roll over. They're always high NRG. They're going to be pesty and difficult.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I think Villa will concede in most PL games until the likes of Torres can adapt and Moreno is back playing.

Going 3-1 Villa, hopefully we have too much for them.

Villa have to continue to be strong at home and try and nick a few wins away from home.

Don't know if anybody else takes any notice of these but I quite like reading the "Jones Knows" betting and score predictions articles on Sky Sports every week. Link below if anyone is interested;

Premier League predictions: Brighton to rock Manchester United, Brentford to hit vulnerable Newcastle defence | Football News | Sky Sports

He says in our preview (and mentions it in the Wolves v Liverpool preview) that we're quite overrated? And follows it up with tipping Palace to win. Don't know if it's just me but I feel that's quite a harsh comment, I don't think we're especially overrated by anybody. I see plenty of articles about "non big six" combined teams and very few in any of our players ever seem to come up in those. I don't think we're in a different class to Brighton for example, and yet people will rave about them. I would think that looking to beat Palace at home would be a fairly standard point of view for any side just looking to finish top half, never mind in European contention.  

• Like 2

Watkins has to be a certainty to score in this one. I might even have a little flutter on him getting a double. 

Hopefully the break has given Unai some time to reassure the squad that we're still on the right path, regardless of the Liverpool result, and hopefully that will be evident when we put Palace to the sword on Saturday.. 

Come on me Babbys!

1 hour ago, wict01 said:

Don't know if anybody else takes any notice of these but I quite like reading the "Jones Knows" betting and score predictions articles on Sky Sports every week. Link below if anyone is interested;

Premier League predictions: Brighton to rock Manchester United, Brentford to hit vulnerable Newcastle defence | Football News | Sky Sports

He says in our preview (and mentions it in the Wolves v Liverpool preview) that we're quite overrated? And follows it up with tipping Palace to win. Don't know if it's just me but I feel that's quite a harsh comment, I don't think we're especially overrated by anybody. I see plenty of articles about "non big six" combined teams and very few in any of our players ever seem to come up in those. I don't think we're in a different class to Brighton for example, and yet people will rave about them. I would think that looking to beat Palace at home would be a fairly standard point of view for any side just looking to finish top half, never mind in European contention.  

He said it twice in the article as well. He must have lost a fortune betting against us gettimg into Europe because he seems to say it weekly