Cup Final 4 of 37 Pre-Match

TheAuthority

Palace have quietly been quite good so far this season, two wins against poorer sides and were pretty even away to Brentford which isn't something to turn your nose up at. Wasn't exactly the most thrilling appointment but Hodgson has done a good job with them since returning, particularly with the being without Zaha and Olise also being injured.  Will be a tough one but as said previously one Villa need to be picking up three points in all the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst it’s games like this we should be winning I think talk of champions league is not realistic at all.  Especially after losing Mings.  We all saw the gap in quality against Liverpool. That is the level of ability that will make top 5.  We’re still not there unfortunately. 

I think we will finish between 6-8 but win the conference. Will take that any day.

Whilst I get what you're saying, if Liverpool play like they have they'll easily finish 2nd, 3rd at a minimum.  4th and 5th will probably be at a level below that, which if we can go on a good run is certainly achievable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Whilst I get what you're saying, if Liverpool play like they have they'll easily finish 2nd, 3rd at a minimum.  4th and 5th will probably be at a level below that, which if we can go on a good run is certainly achievable. 

Fair point. Be interesting to see how we do against the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, United.  Newcastle game I write off due to the circumstances.

First things first we hopefully best Palace who are looking decent too.

Maybe go something like this:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Torres Digne

Luiz Tielemans

Diaby McGinn Zaniolo

Watkins 

Looks like Moreno may be back so will be good option off bench while he builds up match fitness. 

Palace are a decent team, better than Everton and Burnley but not Liverpool or Newcastle. Probably finish around 11th again this season. The sort of game we need to be winning especially at home and after that bad Liverpool game. 

Seems like an age since our last game and be good to get back to winning ways. I’m sure our last game/performance will have been eating away at Emery and he’ll be desperate to put it right.

Will Carlos be fit, will Moreno be back for the bench and does he give Tielemans or Zaniolo a start?  Personally, I would hold Carlos back for Legia next week, which would hopefully be less demanding on him. Moreno on the bench and hopefully gets a few minutes. Tielemans doesn’t start yet for me. Bailey or Zaniolo is only the other debate. I think Emery will start with Bailey, but I’d love to see Zaniolo start on the right straight from the off:

Martinez

Cash         Konsa              Pau       Digne                                    

Kamara       Luiz                    

Bailey/Zaniolo?                    McGinn  

Diaby             Watkins 

Subs:  Olsen, Chambers, Lenglet, Moreno, Dendoncker, Tielemans, Kellyman, Zaniolo, Duran. 

I’m going with a 2-1 win here.  UTV

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Seems like an age since our last game and be good to get back to winning ways. I’m sure our last game/performance will have been eating away at Emery and he’ll be desperate to put it right.

Will Carlos be fit, will Moreno be back for the bench and does he give Tielemans or Zaniolo a start?  Personally, I would hold Carlos back for Legia next week, which would hopefully be less demanding on him. Moreno on the bench and hopefully gets a few minutes. Tielemans doesn’t start yet for me. Bailey or Zaniolo is only the other debate. I think Emery will start with Bailey, but I’d love to see Zaniolo start on the right straight from the off:

Martinez

Cash         Konsa              Pau       Digne                                    

Kamara       Luiz                    

Bailey/Zaniolo?                    McGinn  

Diaby             Watkins 

Subs:  Olsen, Chambers, Lenglet, Moreno, Dendoncker, Tielemans, Kellyman, Zaniolo, Duran. 

I’m going with a 2-1 win here.  UTV

• For me, McGinn has to play on the right, to get the best out of him.
  • Diaby and Bailey, render us light in terms of the press...just Diaby for me.
  • The 2 centre backs are not as robust and aerially dominant as Mings and Carlos, that concerns me...but its the best we got.
  • Kamara need to find his "A" game....he is allegedly our ball winner, lets see it.

Not going to call it, simply don't know.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • For me, McGinn has to play on the right, to get the best out of him.
  • Diaby and Bailey, render us light in terms of the press...just Diaby for me.
  • The 2 centre backs are not as robust and aerially dominant as Mings and Carlos, that concerns me...but its the best we got.
  • Kamara need to find his "A" game....he is allegedly our ball winner, lets see it.

Not going to call it, simply don't know.

Re McGinn, I totally agree but until Ramsey, Buendia and/or Moreno are fit, it’s left us incredibly weak down that left hand side, which is why Emery is having to put McGinn there I reckon. I think he’ll start on the left again against Palace because of this.

I think Bailey and Diaby can play together at home and/or against weaker opponents, where we should have more possession.

Our CB options and the lack of aerial ability is a major concern and one I thought Emery may try and resolve over the summer and especially when Mings got injured. He hasn’t and we’re stuck with it unfortunately. I think we’ll concede throughout the season because of it.

Kamara, again I agree. Tielemans or Dendoncker just don’t get in ahead of Kamara for now, but he must show some consistency and quickly.

I do find it fascinating seeing first hand what Emery does each game with his team selection. Can’t help but enjoy it 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Re McGinn, I totally agree but until Ramsey, Buendia and/or Moreno are fit, it’s left us incredibly weak down that left hand side, which is why Emery is having to put McGinn there I reckon. I think he’ll start on the left again against Palace because of this.

I think Bailey and Diaby can play together at home and/or against weaker opponents, where we should have more possession.

Our CB options and the lack of aerial ability is a major concern and one I thought Emery may try and resolve over the summer and especially when Mings got injured. He hasn’t and we’re stuck with it unfortunately. I think we’ll concede throughout the season because of it.

Kamara, again I agree. Tielemans or Dendoncker just don’t get in ahead of Kamara for now, but he must show some consistency and quickly.

I do find it fascinating seeing first hand what Emery does each game with his team selection. Can’t help but enjoy it 👍

Can't Zaniolo play on the left and McGinn on the right.

The problem as I see it is.....When our " tidy " players, for the want of a better descriptive word, are on it, we are a force....when they are not, the defence comes under severe pressure, and the initiative soon shifts.

Diaby and Bailey are not natural pressers, so unless they are wrecking havoc offensively, we fall back on to the back foot.

I think we are between a rock and a hard place right now, and when we play the better teams, we are not ideally equipped to negate them....In that respect alone, we are not better than we was last season ( Injuries Considered)

going all out attack, is ok against lesser teams, where the initiative has been won.........where it hasn't been won, we struggle.

Our defence right now, for me, is geared to a more offensive game.....against better opponents, its left wanting.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Palace are not a high press team and certainly not away. They are content with playing in a low block and then breaking with pace and their game winners (Eze, Edouard). This team is being managed by Big Roy after all.

So that spells some trouble for me in terms of our defense, particularly down the left. Eze starts central and has floated around the pitch. I think Cash and Konsa can handle him but can Pau and Digne? Hmmmm.

I think vs a low press we can get away with McGinn on the left this game and he can help out defensively as he's more inclined to do than Zaniolo.

Then again - Unai did roll out the configuration against Liverpool when the match had already been decided and he had Zaniolo on the left and McGinn on the right and Diaby still in the middle. He still prefers Diaby in the middle which I think will work at home when in possession but I have questions about it away.

Control should be the name of this game and I expect it will be a bit flat as that is what Roy wants and Unai does not want an up and down game.

First goal should win and I would attack down Ayew's side.

• Like 1

Hopefully Guehi doesn't make it for them, it would help our cause - Having said that, we have a good record against this lot at VP, so hopefully that continues.

I don't think they will come out all guns blazing, which probably suits us. Keep Eze quiet (no mean feat) then I think we might have too much for them.

2-1 Watkins, Diaby 

On 12/09/2023 at 10:49, Vive_La_Villa said:

Need to be winning games like this at home. Especially when losing the tougher games so badly.

Think this sums up Villa's challenge this year. Greater fan expectation (despite the loss of key personnel), means the 'should win' matches have the potential to feel like 'must wins' and that pressure can interfere with the team's confidence/flow.

The new additions have to step up and there's no guarantee they will (Diaby the only sure fire, so far), which is why I'm not approaching this game, or this season, with blind confidence.

I think we are going to have to play our way into it, like we did last year, so it will probably seem disappointing at times, as we find the right blend.

Hope for and expect a win, but would not be surprised if we draw or lose, in that order of likelihood.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 2