January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

We definitely need players in Jan, but probably need to decide how many based on how close we are to the Title come Jan. It's obviously a crazy long shot to discuss it...

But if we are There or Thereabouts™ then we'd need to consider that we don't make the same mistake as when MoN bought Heskey over Falcao and we finished 6th.

Maybe buy an extra player or two to chase the dream. We're in a fortunate position where we'll only lose Bertrand Traore to AFCON so we don't need to urgently bring a head in to fill a gap. If we lose Emi, Watkins or Dougie/Kamara for any length of time, it'll fall apart so I could see us targeting 3 players, with 4 priority gaps to fill.

Backup GK

A Striker

A Right Back

DM Backup

If we're not close to the title, I think we just bring in one Midfielder and leave the rest till summer . If we look like having a shot, I think we maybe bring in 2/3 of the above

I don't like the word back up. We should sign players who can compete and get a place in our team.

We won't be able to sign players good enough to take place of Watkins or Martinez though unless we are lucky

2 hours ago, TRO said:

players do improve.....we have a bunch of our own, who have done it dramatically.

Yeah but still his record for a striker is atrocious and it reeks of Heskey under MON … He wouldn’t be cheap either and we can definitely find better cheaper ! It’s a non starter and not worth further discussion IMO. If the answer is Solanke then what’s the point of Monchi & Co 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yeah but still his record for a striker is atrocious and it reeks of Heskey under MON … He wouldn’t be cheap either and we can definitely find better cheaper ! It’s a non starter and not worth further discussion IMO. If the answer is Solanke then what’s the point of Monchi & Co 

not saying we can't get better....but if they can give us a hard time, they must have something.

He has 8 goals in 18 games this season..2.25 ratio, which isn't bad and does it in this league....worth a look imo, depending on fee.

Many come from abroad, and can't score with any regularity and we have witnessed that with other teams.

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't like the word back up. We should sign players who can compete and get a place in our team.

We won't be able to sign players good enough to take place of Watkins or Martinez though unless we are lucky

when we are acheiving what we are, and our striker has 13 goals in 21 games.....its hard to get better.

However, with the magic touch our manager has, he could get some clay on the potters wheel....and turn it in to a fine Pot.

who knows.

Edited by TRO

I think selling Traore and Dendonker would be the primary aim for Jan. We'll need to keep Chambers as versatile cover for CM, RB, CB in case of an injury crisis. 

I think we also need to just turn down any attempt from Barcelona to recall Lenglet. He's many many times better than any other LCB we could get. I've no doubt if Pau was injured for a few games it would be Lenglet in the team.

We need to get Ireogbunam out on loan so we can bring in cash in the summer selling, Azaz, KKH and Tim. I think JPB should be bough back as he;s a right footed winger and we need that. 

19 hours ago, The_Steve said:

We aren’t bringing Monchi on board to negotiate for the likes of Solanke let’s be real. 

Solanke is the type of player that got Everton in trouble!

• Like 1

Looking at the squad it’s obvious Chambers and Dendoncker have barely featured and realistically should be replaced to give Emery better options.

If Chambers could be swapped out for a new first choice right back that would be ideal as a serious improvement to the squad. For Dendoncker a like for like replacement but someone more comfortable on the ball.

We could also look to replace Traore who has also barely featured, but unfortunately to me it looks like we already had the perfect replacement for him but sold him in the summer for just £5m

doubt traore will be sold. Shocking injury record and contract expiring at end of season. Clubs will just wait until contract expires before looking at him.

Need to try sell chambers and dendoncker and bring in a rb + defensive mid.

I'll be surprised if we signed anyone without selling anyone.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Either way we need some more depth to the squad I think. 
Worry we will burn out by February 

Think you need 18 players you can trust plus a solid backup keeper 

Right now I think we are at 16. 2 signings in Jan please. 

If Emery wants someone the board will back him, I'm pretty sure of that. I can't see Emery relying on the current set of players to see out the season. There's a massive risk of burnout if we progress in the cups and if we want to maintain our league form. 

We don’t need signings for the sake of it,  but should be grasping opportunities to bring in anyone better than we have. We don’t need filler…

Bring me Chiesa and let’s cement CL… if not the title 😂

• Haha 1