January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

24 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Performances like that coupled with our league position could help to get a champions league level player over the line in Jan.

If elite players that we have already identified show interest in the move I’m convinced that we will make it happen. You just couldn’t take the risk that they would be available again in the summer. 

Only thing is, you pay away over the odds in January.  Thats not what Villa do and rightly so

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Only thing is, you pay away over the odds in January.  Thats not what Villa do and rightly so

There’s a bigger premium for a club like Villa in getting the talent interested in the first place but will always depend on how desperately you want the player and how much extra you’re willing to pay. 

11 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

well, we bought Moreno last Jan for a very reasonable, fee, i would totally be up for a similar level of quality coming in for a similar price 😜

22 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

You can do if you're desperate. There's value to be had for canny operators and that's what we are atm.

25 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Do we really need a RB or better cover at CB? Because Konsa looked like an elite RB last night to me...

He did. He has looked more uncomfortable at other times though.
I'm not sure if last night was an outlier or the start of Konsa as the right back we need. I still think its the former and that we need a new right back.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Monchi has had plenty of time now to go schmooze Europe on Villa’s behalf - reckon we’ll see a Monchi special in Jan. 

Borne on a plane making Euro stops.
Monchi's competing with Jurgen Klopp.
He knows ever right wing back under the sun.
But there's only one, and everyone knows that's Frimpong.

Monchi magic. Monchi magic.
Monchi magic. Monchi magic ooooooooooh.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham want him and think he'll end up there and be a "nearly but not quite" CF under Moyes. Or maybe a squad player at somewhere like Newcastle as Howe signed him for Bournemouth.

Have to think we're going to be a really exciting prospect for any out of favour forward with CL club. Given the Sevilla connection wouldn't shock me if we went in for En-Nesyri. He's still 26, CL experience and has a decent enough scoring record in La Liga. He'd score a few from the cross Diaby produced at Bournemouth.

En-Nesyri is another Solanke type striker.

Great OOP and a one man wrecking ball on the counter.

But, honestly, we've been in possession for about 80% of our matches so players like En-Nesyri and Solanke would be useless for most of our matches.

Liverpool, Newcastle, City - and at certain times Bournemouth - have been the only ones brave and effective enough to try and press high against us. Brighton also did so but foolishly.

All of the other teams have sat back and the En-Nesyri and Solanke's of the world would just be lumbering around.

We've mostly been linked to La Liga players but I wouldn't be surprised if we took a few more shots at some Leipzig or other Bundesliga players.

Leipzig, in particular, have a whole host of players that fit in exactly how we would play.

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

We've mostly been linked to La Liga players but I wouldn't be surprised if we took a few more shots at some Leipzig or other Bundesliga players.

Leipzig, in particular, have a whole host of players that fit in exactly how we would play.

Too soon in their Leipzig careers for their better ones to move I think, they had the big sales last summer 

Simaken and lukeba will no doubt get moves in the future, not sure where olmo will end up

Could just cut out the middle man and go straight to salzburg 😜

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Too soon in their Leipzig careers for their better ones to move I think, they had the big sales last summer 

Simaken and lukeba will no doubt get moves in the future, not sure where olmo will end up

Could just cut out the middle man and go straight to salzburg 😜

Olmo not a lot of playing time this year but transfermarkt has him valued at 50M! Would honestly be perfect for our wide midfielder and second striker role though but the valuation there is crazy.

Forsberg and Baumgartner would fit right in. Simons is going for too much money for me.

Edited by DJBOB

5 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

We've got 5 league games to play before the window opens. If we get 12 points from that and consolidate 3rd place or even higher, the owners might insist on paying over the odds if we can bring in an elite impact player.

• Like 2

Being in the top 4 approaching the window is very important and cannot be understated. Negotiations with agents are well under way of course as the window is simply the time transfers can be ratified, with most of the work already done by the time it opens.

We are far more likely to attract "top 4" players by being in the top 4 during these negotiations. Players want to play for successful clubs and in this is the first time in donkeys years that we have been able to approach players/agents as a top 4 club who are competing in the latter stages of European competition.

Exciting times.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

well, we bought Moreno last Jan for a very reasonable, fee, i would totally be up for a similar level of quality coming in for a similar price 😜

Maybe we go back to Betis and try for Guido Rodriguez? 29 y.o Argentinian international DCM who is on an expiring contract. Reads the game really well and defensively really good. Good movement and certainly good enough with the ball to play Emery-ball. Won the WC with Emi last winter.

Betis might feel they need to cash in if he's not interested in signing a new contract.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Maybe we go back to Betis and try for Guido Rodriguez? 29 y.o Argentinian international DCM who is on an expiring contract. Reads the game really well and defensively really good. Good movement and certainly good enough with the ball to play Emery-ball. Won the WC with Emi last winter.

Betis might feel they need to cash in if he's not interested in signing a new contract.

dont know how good this guy is specifically, but yeah, exactly that type of thing!, Emery buying players he knows a lot about for a reasonable fee.

Will be interesting to see what we do in Jan.

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Being in the top 4 approaching the window is very important and cannot be understated. Negotiations with agents are well under way of course as the window is simply the time transfers can be ratified, with most of the work already done by the time it opens.

We are far more likely to attract "top 4" players by being in the top 4 during these negotiations. Players want to play for successful clubs and in this is the first time in donkeys years that we have been able to approach players/agents as a top 4 club who are competing in the latter stages of European competition.

Exciting times.

What we looking at Global? 1,2 ins? Maybe?

5 hours ago, DJBOB said:

En-Nesyri is another Solanke type striker.

Great OOP and a one man wrecking ball on the counter.

But, honestly, we've been in possession for about 80% of our matches so players like En-Nesyri and Solanke would be useless for most of our matches.

Liverpool, Newcastle, City - and at certain times Bournemouth - have been the only ones brave and effective enough to try and press high against us. Brighton also did so but foolishly.

All of the other teams have sat back and the En-Nesyri and Solanke's of the world would just be lumbering around.

None of them are replacing Ollie though. It's more for Palace type games where we simply have to go direct with time running out and being 1-0 down, we'll have a few of those games in the run in I suspect.

Duran coming along well but it would be excellent to have a more experienced CF of his profile on the bench aswell.