January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Exactly. These players have got us 3rd and all deserve the chance to carry out the season fully with out any distractions from a new player.
Why risk the current squad harmony by potentially adding a bad apple into the squad.

I've been saying the same last few windows referencing players talking about small family vibe under Emery. Dan Bardell in podcast said we don't need anyone and doesn't think we'll make January signing but maybe possibly one. Every window though this thread is like catching Pokémon for some

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've been saying the same last few windows referencing players talking about small family vibe under Emery. Dan Bardell in podcast said we don't need anyone and doesn't think we'll make January signing but maybe possibly one. Every window though this thread is like catching Pokémon for some

It’s a speculation thread where people speculate. Every window man. Every window. 

FWIW I think we need 1 maybe 2 max. One being a Midfielder who can compete with Boubs. 

42 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Exactly. These players have got us 3rd and all deserve the chance to carry out the season fully with out any distractions from a new player.
Why risk the current squad harmony by potentially adding a bad apple into the squad.

This is where I'm at too. There are people who always want new signings and to roll the dice, but I don't see a good reason to do so. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 19:02, DJBOB said:

You know, ironically enough - Joe Gomez fits the profile of a RB/third CB too. Wonder if Gerrard would help us just a bit this time.

Joe Gomez is genuinely one of the least capable defenders I've ever seen at Premier League level. I honestly can't believe (as must he) he's at Liverpool and has been for so long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

We definitely don't have a strong squad. From that bench only Moreno, Diaby and Ramsey are players that you would be happy to bring on. Cash would be on that list but he's our only right back so he isn't a squad player and he isn't very good. 

Lenglet has been very good and if we assume Mings returns to replace him next season.

Zaniolo for Buendia. 

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We are stuffed with an injury to Emi or Watkins. Hard to get anyone decent to play second fiddle to Ollie, especially in Jan, but we at the very least need to upgrade Olsen. ASAP.

Emi’s compatriot Walter Benitez at PSV would be a good shout for an Olsen upgrade. Not sure he’d want to be no2 though, which I guess is always going to be the issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.

If we can get a good player in, what is your bigger worry? An injury to Kamara or a possible distraction from a new player?

We are not exactly shopping in the category of dickheads either way. If Unai believes we can improve (and we still have A LOT of games to play), why wouldn't we improve?

And who's to say a new player wouldn't even improve the squad culture? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s a speculation thread where people speculate. Every window man. Every window. 

Yes I get it. Has been pointed out numerous times yet a week ago before City game was pages of how much we could get for McGinn as sellable asset. Then it's misery over lack of signings or ridiculous hype over last minute loan signing before inevitable this guy is trash, get rid. Or the cover signings we make play a few games not even bedded in and it's like why we not playing best eleven FFS! Go to the Legia away match thread and see the Tielemans get the hell out of my club posts

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

I’d like us to go for a CM and DM in Jan as an injury to either Luiz or Kamara and we’re a different animal. The pair of them make us tick in the middle and to have someone of equal levels to come in would make a world of difference. 

Someone like Guido Rodriquez or Arthur Vermeeren (very young though) for Kamara and perhaps van den Boomen, Kenneth Taylor, Joey Veerman or Teun Koopmeiners for Luiz. 

Save the ST, GK and RB for the Summer.

On 06/12/2023 at 19:02, thabucks said:

Is that the same Solanke who has 17 goals in 110 prem games … WTF 

players do improve.....we have a bunch of our own, who have done it dramatically.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Agreed. Lets close this thread🤣

Isn't it nice to be in a place where we don't desperately need a signing. It allows us to go for any opportunities that arise without being bent over a barrel. 

For what it's worth, if we could get a good up and coming RB, and/or Hybrid forward to help take the pressure off Zaniolo and unlock the increasing number of teams that will set up a low block against us, then I'd be delighted. Even that seems less of a concern now JJ is coming back. I know he's more of an Attacking Mid, but he can still serve that function.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.

If we can get a good player in, what is your bigger worry? An injury to Kamara or a possible distraction from a new player?

We are not exactly shopping in the category of dickheads either way. If Unai believes we can improve (and we still have A LOT of games to play), why wouldn't we improve?

And who's to say a new player wouldn't even improve the squad culture? 

We're a very attractive prospect for January. Big club with world class manager and loyal fanbase winning every single game it plays at home (league). Which players would just refuse that? Especially as we don't have endless depth in some positions so one injury and you'd probably be starting.

If someone wants to instead sign for Man. City, play 5 minutes in a dead rubber in May and then claim they're a trophy winner like Kalvin Phillips then good luck to them but I don't want that sort anywhere near this club, he wouldn't get in our team that's for sure.

Looking forward to the January window, I think it will be similar to the last one in which we sign a Moreno type full back who can break into the team and make a difference at RB and then another Duran type development player for the final third. Not sure though as Buendia may be back around March and he'll be eased back in like Carlos was last season so could contribute to our final five or so games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

FWIW I think we need 1 maybe 2 max. One being a Midfielder who can compete with Boubs. 

Agreed.

I think we'll try and upgrade Dendonkor to a player that can cover Luiz and Kamara and if the perfect RB that suits Emery becomes available, we'll bring him in. 

Can't see us reaching for a project player or overpaying for a player that will not be able to come in and hit the ground running. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The obvious exception is if we make a signing similar to Duran last January that's investing in the future rather than expecting them to jump into a side that's playing at a ridiculously high standard. Monchi is in charge now as opposed to last season, but I wonder if we would invest big money in potential talent if there's no immediate need to strengthen the first team.