January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Could just cut out the middle man and go straight to salzburg 😜

Said it for ages but their striker Karim Konate would be a decent young player to bring in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, burchy said:

Said it for ages but their striker Karim Konate would be a decent young player to bring in. 

Yeah I was thinking about him last night, Leipzig have sesko, it's not impossible but it doesn't make much sense for them to get konate too

He's more likely to be like adeyemi and hit the open market 

I don't want him but I don't get the hate for Solanke. I've watched him a bit and he's not just a cart horse. Not our level but would do a job at Everton or West Ham, and his stats would be better.

Maybe I've just seen his better games but for me he's one of the reasons they aren't playing Championship football right now.

27 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

I don't want him but I don't get the hate for Solanke. I've watched him a bit and he's not just a cart horse. Not our level but would do a job at Everton or West Ham, and his stats would be better.

Maybe I've just seen his better games but for me he's one of the reasons they aren't playing Championship football right now.

They paid crazy money for him when Howe was still manager iirc. 28 million. I think manager and other players why they're doing well. Anyways irrelevant to our transfer ideas

9 hours ago, burchy said:

I don’t buy into this philosophy. For two reasons.

Firstly, you buy when you’re on the up if you can. Right now, we’ve never been more attractive to players.

Secondly, we don’t operate a system where we go into a window with a ‘buy’, ‘don’t buy’ attitude. Monchi and the lads will have a list of players they want to bring to this club that think will improve us. They’re all likely to be top tier players that are hard to get. If an opportunity arises in Jan where one becomes available (unlikely), then we’ll do our best to bring them in ahead of targeting them in the Summer.

Do I think we’ll sign anybody in Jan? No. 

Do I think the club will be looking? Yes, if the right opportunity presents itself. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Unless there is an injury from now until the end of Jan. We dont need to sign anyone. 

I see where you're coming from but disagree - I think if the players are available, even if they cost a premium in January, we should be making acquisitions with a view to next season. We've seen what this guy can get out of players given time, so I think anyone we buy should be seen as a player for next year and not someone that's going to come in and start many matches this season. Give them a few months to bed into the system and learn from the master. 

• Like 2

Konate is nowhere near ready for a step up, Duran is probably ahead in development. Strikers at Salzburg need to go elsewhere to develop before moving to a better league first. Adeyemi and Daka have massively struggled since taking a huge leap up in quality outside the Red Bull umbrella

9 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Unless there is an injury from now until the end of Jan. We dont need to sign anyone. 

Can’t agree, and Delph says what I’m thinking…

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t buy into this philosophy. For two reasons.

Firstly, you buy when you’re on the up if you can. Right now, we’ve never been more attractive to players.

Secondly, we don’t operate a system where we go into a window with a ‘buy’, ‘don’t buy’ attitude. Monchi and the lads will have a list of players they want to bring to this club that think will improve us. They’re all likely to be top tier players that are hard to get. If an opportunity arises in Jan where one becomes available (unlikely), then we’ll do our best to bring them in ahead of targeting them in the Summer.

We have such a strong squad in general, it's important how we add to it. 

Our bench against City was. Cash, Moreno, Lenglet, Diaby, Zaniolo, Duran, Dendonker, Ramsey and Marschall. 

I think the weakness is GK and CM there and we should be getting those two positions in if not Jan then Summer. 

I don't know about this RB as it's clear we are good there with Cash and Konsa 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We definitely don't have a strong squad. From that bench only Moreno, Diaby and Ramsey are players that you would be happy to bring on. Cash would be on that list but he's our only right back so he isn't a squad player and he isn't very good. 

1 hour ago, blunther said:

I see where you're coming from but disagree - I think if the players are available, even if they cost a premium in January, we should be making acquisitions with a view to next season. We've seen what this guy can get out of players given time, so I think anyone we buy should be seen as a player for next year and not someone that's going to come in and start many matches this season. Give them a few months to bed into the system and learn from the master. 

Yeah this. We saw how exposed we were vs Liverpool and Newcastle when we had new players dropped in too soon (through injury). And equally, that eg Pau and Tilemeans have taken a while to reach the levels expected/anticipated. Ideally get one or two in with no pressure to come straight into the side and perform. We are turning into a well-oiled Emery machine and need to keep that process going.

On 06/12/2023 at 17:38, sne said:

Lucas Bergvall 17 y.o CM who already has a full season of top flight football and has been called up to the national side for the January camp. He's from that Brommapojkarna 2006 youth team that destroyed every other club in the world until they got split up.

Very impressive to be playing at that level as a 1 year old. Sign him up.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Our bench against City was. Cash, Moreno, Lenglet, Diaby, Zaniolo, Duran, Dendonker, Ramsey and Marschall. 

I think the weakness is GK and CM there and we should be getting those two positions in if not Jan then Summer. 

I don't know about this RB as it's clear we are good there with Cash and Konsa 

I said to my son before kick off. I wouldn't swap our bench for their bench. Notwithstanding their greater number of players unavailable, but when have we ever been able to say that? 

We definitely need players in Jan, but probably need to decide how many based on how close we are to the Title come Jan. It's obviously a crazy long shot to discuss it...

But if we are There or Thereabouts™ then we'd need to consider that we don't make the same mistake as when MoN bought Heskey over Falcao and we finished 6th.

Maybe buy an extra player or two to chase the dream. We're in a fortunate position where we'll only lose Bertrand Traore to AFCON so we don't need to urgently bring a head in to fill a gap. If we lose Emi, Watkins or Dougie/Kamara for any length of time, it'll fall apart so I could see us targeting 3 players, with 4 priority gaps to fill.

Backup GK

A Striker

A Right Back

DM Backup

If we're not close to the title, I think we just bring in one Midfielder and leave the rest till summer . If we look like having a shot, I think we maybe bring in 2/3 of the above

Edited by HalfTimePost

We'll see a couple of signings but they won't go straight into the starting XI: Unai has to teach them first. He won't want to disrupt our flow either. I'd expect at least one signing being a youngster like Duran: high potential who we can attract because of our decent league position.

For me, January is about getting rid of players and getting things ready for the summer: outbound deals for Dendoncker, Traore, Chambers and Hause should be top of the agenda. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Agreed. What a superb position to be in - it shows just how well organised we are now.

Exactly. These players have got us 3rd and all deserve the chance to carry out the season fully with out any distractions from a new player.
Why risk the current squad harmony by potentially adding a bad apple into the squad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1