January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

We need to make a big player sale in summer to give us spending power. Unless moving on likes of Dendonker, Chambers, Traore and end of Lenglet's loan free's up enough. I think Digne will move on also, hopefully a fee for Sanson. Maybe if Tim goes on loan and impresses we can do a sale with buy back also.

Remember next season we've 80% squad cost cap in Europe, this seas it was 90%. So we've new issues and that will impact our transfer business. 

6 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Gregg Evans and Dan Bardell saying that Villa are fine for FFP but don't expect any signings in Jan. Gregg still saying that we will have to sell at some point to generate funds.

Gregg covering all his bases as he is clueless

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need to make a big player sale in summer to give us spending power. Unless moving on likes of Dendonker, Chambers, Traore and end of Lenglet's loan free's up enough. I think Digne will move on also, hopefully a fee for Sanson. Maybe if Tim goes on loan and impresses we can do a sale with buy back also.

Remember next season we've 80% squad cost cap in Europe, this seas it was 90%. So we've new issues and that will impact our transfer business. 

I don't think we'll sell anybody in January, maybe Chambers if one of the teams near the bottom need some experience but I think we will make a big sale in the summer, one that'll have us on here holding our heads in our hands. However, I trust the people running the club to do the right things for long term success.

1 hour ago, picicata said:

I don't think we'll sell anybody in January, maybe Chambers if one of the teams near the bottom need some experience but I think we will make a big sale in the summer, one that'll have us on here holding our heads in our hands. However, I trust the people running the club to do the right things for long term success.

I agree, I think we'll make a sale in summer for a player who is a first team regular or close to it. We need the income to manage the FFP rules tightening in Europe over next two seasons 

46 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

People talking about potential sales: how much would we need to raise for FFP? Or are there other ways we can offset it? 

The crux of it is. If we sell a player who has next to no amortisation left that goes into our accounts as essentially all profit from an FFP perspective. While if we buy a player the transfer fee cost is spread over the contract. 

If say we sell Luiz for 80m that can fund three new 40m signings with 5y contracts on our books for three years. Hence we need to realise it's a benefit strategically for the club to make a big sale. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

People talking about potential sales: how much would we need to raise for FFP? Or are there other ways we can offset it? 

I'll do my part and purchase 17 pints on Thursday night. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

good post, especially re the wages, i think i said in another post somewhere, that i doubt the pure transfer fee thing is the biggest issue, i would guess its wages in terms of FFP.

with regard to player sales, Traore's contract is up in the summer, so i guess we either need to sell him in Jan, or loan him out for a small fee/wages partly covered in Jan, not sure we will manage it tho?

In terms of the summer, i can see Digne, Dendoncker, Azaz, Chambers and Sanson moving on, what will they fetch between them?, 40m maybe?, add Traore leaving on a free, i guess that would be somewhere in the region of 350-450k a week off the wage book?

I agree Lenglet will prob go back to Barca if we think Mings will be fit for the new season, so him off the books prob means we are up to 450k-550k off the wage books?

Edited by MaVilla

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

In last 2 years we signed Coutinho, Digne, Kamara, Carlos, Tielemans, Torres, Lenglet, Donk and a few others plus improved contracts for Ollie, Emi, Mings etc have probably increased the wages by about 2 million a week

This is really worrying. If we don’t get champions league we will have to sell several players and the fun is over. Just ask Leicester fans about it.

FFP is a bitch. 

Anyway expect a few squad fillers in January if can sell or loan out players such as Donk.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa