January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

On 10/10/2023 at 16:02, Vive_La_Villa said:

Look at Leicester and Wolves to see what can happen because of FFP.  We need to increase revenue some how.  Getting players like Chambers and Dendonker off the books would help free up wages but who would want them and why would they leave for a pay cut ?

I suspect Traore will be released in the summer. Sorry @Tom13

I think under the circumstances Wolves and to a lesser degree Leicester have done well....in culling some of their best players, and retaining an element of sustainability....Wolves are certainly not easy to play.

I still think, that signing the right players is Paramount....and while it raises the odds, big money signings is not always the answer.

I think anyone could go through the teams in the Premier league, where value for money has been secured.....even we with Dougie, McGinn, Kamara, Tielemans, Konsa, Martinez.....have been some pretty good scalps.

It can't be done every time, of course it can't......but it does go to show, it can be too.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s up there with the worst takes I’ve ever seen on Villatalk.

Lolz

Oh yeh recency bias over everything. 

10 goals in 99 games that's drumroll 3 goals a season on average. 

Still not up there with your Bentancur  take buddy. 

Edited by KAZZAM
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Oh yeh recency bias over everything. 

10 goals in 99 games that's drumroll 3 goals a season on average. 

Still not up there with your Bentancur  take buddy. 

I was nervous about Bentancur at the time, granted, and I was proven wrong. The idea that Bailey is anywhere near Neto’s level is laughable though. 

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I was nervous about Bentancur at the time, granted, and I was proven wrong. The idea that Bailey is anywhere near Neto’s level is laughable though. 

Leon has 7 in 55 for Villa vs Neto 10 in 99?  

This is similar to people's fascination with ASM(also poor output). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Searching Looking GIF - Searching Looking Around - Discover ...Actual footage of me looking for the Arsenal and Liverpool links flying in for Leon Bailey.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I’m not fascinated with Neto, I just think he’s a much better player than Bailey. He was a very good young player who suffered a couple of terrible injuries. He’s now finding form again finally and some fitness and proving yet again that he is a very good player. He’s their Diaby. 

I wouldn’t take many from Wolves, but he is certainly one I would take and he’d start for us if we could afford to sign him and were willing to take the risk on his injury record.

Better than Bailey at everything. 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2023 at 10:48, lexicon said:

Phillips is pretty good but definitely isn't the right fit for us IMO. Kamara and Luiz are first choice and that won't change - so we'd have another Tielemans situation, i.e. a highly-paid player frustrated on the sidelines. He also is a bit more limited than Kamara, both technically and in terms of mobility. Definite no from me given the finances involved too. 

I'd say of the two Conor Gallagher would be a better fit for us than Kalvin fecking Phillips.

He was decent at Leeds but he's barely played a game for his club in 18 months. I never like signing players in that situation. Drinkwater after years of inactivity at Chelsea was a disaster and Sidwell wasn't great for us at all after again warming the bench at Chelsea for 12 months.

We have Luiz-Kamara locked hopefully for next few years in the pivot role and both are under 25. Signed Tielemans who is 26. Phillips is 27.

Now people might turn their noses up at Gallagher as not being technically good enough but ultimately he's played very well at all clubs he's been at outside of Chelsea and he has similar profile to McGinn. SJM coming up to 30 now and Gallagher is still only 23 so that would be example of getting in a younger model to rotate more with McGinn when needed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

We've been linked to Goncalves for quite a while now. Think this summer was all about securing Diaby so you'd think if we sell Bailey and release Traore next summer then we'd have capital to make another 40m + signing in final third.

Never heard of Frederik Aursnes though. Is he more of a Duran type development signing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We've been linked to Goncalves for quite a while now. Think this summer was all about securing Diaby so you'd think if we sell Bailey and release Traore next summer then we'd have capital to make another 40m + signing in final third.

Never heard of Frederik Aursnes though. Is he more of a Duran type development signing?

Aursnes is 28 in December and seems to be a utility player. Can play full back and midfield

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd say of the two Conor Gallagher would be a better fit for us than Kalvin fecking Phillips.

He was decent at Leeds but he's barely played a game for his club in 18 months. I never like signing players in that situation. Drinkwater after years of inactivity at Chelsea was a disaster and Sidwell wasn't great for us at all after again warming the bench at Chelsea for 12 months.

We have Luiz-Kamara locked hopefully for next few years in the pivot role and both are under 25. Signed Tielemans who is 26. Phillips is 27.

Now people might turn their noses up at Gallagher as not being technically good enough but ultimately he's played very well at all clubs he's been at outside of Chelsea and he has similar profile to McGinn. SJM coming up to 30 now and Gallagher is still only 23 so that would be example of getting in a younger model to rotate more with McGinn when needed.

Agree 100%, but I can't see Chelsea selling Gallagher now and if they did they would want silly money, I also doubt Gallagher would be keen to leave them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John said:

Agree 100%, but I can't see Chelsea selling Gallagher now and if they did they would want silly money, I also doubt Gallagher would be keen to leave them. 

Once Romeo Lavia is fit he's going back to their bench so it's up to him. Just stay an eternal squad player at them or go and play week in week out and establish himself in England team.

I have doubts over his technique but then loads thought McGinn wouldn't do much under Emery and he's adapted comfortably to what the Don requires.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John said:

Yep, I'd stay away from gallagher and phillips, there's zero value there, Gallagher would be over £40m, that's guaranteed starter money at high level and he wouldn't be and that's not factoring in wages, he'd be a decent earner

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Once Romeo Lavia is fit he's going back to their bench so it's up to him. Just stay an eternal squad player at them or go and play week in week out and establish himself in England team.

I have doubts over his technique but then loads thought McGinn wouldn't do much under Emery and he's adapted comfortably to what the Don requires.

I don't think playing week in week out for us will do that for him. 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gallagher has gone backwards in the last 2 seasons and he is now Chelseas version of Elneny or McTominay but with less quality

I’m not sure. I think Gallagher is a pretty good player tbh. I think he’s a lot like McGinn and could play a number of roles in Emery’s set up.

Like you say, he probably has gone slightly backwards and needs to get out of Chelsea asap. For £40m, I’m sure you could do better but you could also do a helluva lot worse. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We missed the boat... Should have gone in for Ward-Prowse.

25 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

We missed the boat... Should have gone in for Ward-Prowse.

He wouldn’t have come here to sit on the bench and he wouldn’t have been first choice.  Yes it’s a squad game and everybody will get plenty of minutes but key games he wouldn’t be first choice with the players we already have, which I assume would be what he would want.

• Like 1