Europa Conference League Group Stage Draw

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I did put Lille in to begin with because it’s closer, less dangerous and they’re probably not as good. But going away to Turkey is quite exciting, and that’s what we’re in Europe for. Obviously we need to win the group though so really I just want the weakest teams in ours. 

I don't fancy a trip to Turkey.  They're all mental.  

At least Lille and Frankfurt have big stadiums so we should get a decent away allocation?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Do other Europa League teams drop down into this tournament at some stage? Or are the teams in the opening post the only teams in the tournament?

yes they do. the 10 losing teams in Europa League qualifying enter the group stages (some probably on those twitter posts)

after the groups the 3rd placed Europa League teams play off against second place teams from conference league groups to enter the knockout stage proper.

the pot allocation/seeding lists we keep seeing are best-guess predictions.

We'll know the lists proper by Thursday night after the end of the qualifying rounds.

Edited by VILLAMARV

26 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is there a political reason that Kazakhstan play in Europe?  I mean it's pretty much objectively part of Asia!

Probably a hangover form the Soviet era. Mind you, the same could be said to apply to Turkey.

48 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Exciting times! 

I’m going for a group of…

Fenerbache

Aston Villa

Sparta Prague

Aris Limassol

A nice mix of shit teams, classic names and nice places to visit. 

If I was able to attend all away matches with an unlimited budget, I would probably agree, although maybe KI Klaksvik from Pot 4 as going to the Faroes would be quite unique.

In reality, I prefer:
Ferencvaros 

Aston Villa

HJK Helsinki (easy for me to attend)

Häcken/Breidablik (also not too far away)

Edited by a-k
  • Like 1

Europe doesn't exist, objectively. It's limits depend on the criteria you set to define it. Thus any attempt to define it is going to have weird outliers still get included even though anyone would tell you they aren't European countries.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Europe doesn't exist, objectively. It's limits depend on the criteria you set to define it. Thus any attempt to define it is going to have weird outliers still get included even though anyone would tell you they aren't European countries.

Of course Europe exists. Everything's limits depend on the criteria you set to define it.

Literally everything.

The criteria for setting borders are varied, but objectively , regardless of criteria, Europe exists. It is a part of the Eurasian continent. 

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Of course Europe exists. Everything's limits depend on the criteria you set to define it.

Literally everything.

The criteria for setting borders are varied, but objectively , regardless of criteria, Europe exists. It is a part of the Eurasian continent. 

It exists as a concept, but what it is depends on the viewpoint of who you're asking. There's not an absolute, unquestionable, 100% definite definition of what Europe is. You can't point at Europe and say 'that, unquestionably, to everyone in perpetuity, is Europe, and everything that falls outside of this definition is not Europe'. It's not like trying to define what a pen is. Geographically it has multiple definitions, politically it exists in various extents and forms, in sports its various things depending on the context and the organisations involved, in TV production and organisations it's something else, etc etc. It only exists objectively as a concept. Thus you can have situations like this where clubs that nobody really thinks are European are actually considered European.