Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

15 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'm not seeing his decision making improving

He's got a lot on his mind right now and he's trying too hard to impress. I trust Unai will be the best judge when it comes to signing him, but I don't think I would based on the performances he's showed us so far.

He's not holding us back though and will need some time to adjust, just it's taking longer than we'd like. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, romavillan said:

What I don't get is why when we brought Bailey on he played on the right and McGinn went left. Zaniolo would be far better suited to playing where Bailey played when he came on, not sure why we couldn't have started with McGinn left and Zaniolo right. If McGinn is ok to play there with Bailey on the right, why not with Zaniolo on the right?

Exactly, I thought the same 

• Like 1

Was 15mins or so towards end of first half where he barley touched the ball, kept running into pockets in the middle of field where a pass was basically impossible and get frustrated that no one was trying to attempt it.

Edited by pete101
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Seen nothing to suggest he's worth the rumoured 30m fee so far.

Other than pretty much any half decent international premier league player wi cost £30m now.

As someone said he's been OK, fine. No great shakes, no disaster. Looks like there's something about him and definitely feels we've not seen the better of him. 

Bailey makes us a far better team but £30m is no longer any kind or mental transfer fee these days. 

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

What I don't get is why when we brought Bailey on he played on the right and McGinn went left. Zaniolo would be far better suited to playing where Bailey played when he came on, not sure why we couldn't have started with McGinn left and Zaniolo right. If McGinn is ok to play there with Bailey on the right, why not with Zaniolo on the right?

Because Emery wants the wide players to come in all the time and the fullbacks to get to the byline and we overload the middle of the goal.

Bailey is better on the left and you generally see a better Bailey on the left...but that's not the system and the system is drilled to within an inch of its life.

I think the Buendia and Ramsey injuries are impacting on how Unai is using him at the moment too. I'm sure when Ramsey and eventually Buendia come back he'll move back to positions where he is most comfortable, either through the middle or on the right side rotating with Diaby and Bailey

The first half today as with many games this season have been very midfield congested. It doesn't help players like Zaniolo but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the teams we've beat convincingly more often than not have been teams that come to play. I donk think it's any coincidence that at times teams are now coming to sit and try to minimise our opportunities. Even if it isn't working for 90 mins at times it is restricting player movement with the ball especially from the midfield link to the forward line 

What he does have to do imo at times is stop trying to run all the time with the ball and just look to lay off and find space for the return. I think this is his instinct though but in the position he's playing it's difficult because of the above and the lack of available space early in the transition. I think one of the reasons McGinn is doing so well as with Dougie through the midfield is they now move the ball quickly early wide or forward and then look to exploit the spaces behind the forwards. 

I like him though, something about him that's very different from what we have, if we allow him the time to settle and continue to back him I think he comes very good in time and worthy of the shirt. A few months with Unai and I expect him to settle well into the squad, especially if this betting issue disappears. If Monchi and Unai wanted him then it clear he has a part to play. 

• Like 1

It's a difficult one because he doesn't seem to get anything right at the moment which is part confidence and part bad luck. I suppose the only way that changes is by playing him. But then the circle continues as nothing he tries is coming off. 

Edited by turvontour

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Honestly, he's just been okay so far. Not great not bad just straight down the middle okay. 

I have no idea why but some reason though he's become one of my faves and I just want him to score. Thought today would be the day but we go again. 

He makes a lot of poor choices...  but also does plenty of positives...  it's a mixed bag for sure.  My main gripe I would say is that he's had some quality looks, like todays, and he hasn't converted any of them.

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Because Emery wants the wide players to come in all the time and the fullbacks to get to the byline and we overload the middle of the goal.

Bailey is better on the left and you generally see a better Bailey on the left...but that's not the system and the system is drilled to within an inch of its life.

I think you've missed the point being made.  Zaniolo has played less than a handful of games in his career starting on the left of midfield and has played the vast majority of his games in an advanced role on the right.  It seems slightly odd that Zaniolo started in the left midfield role with McGinn on the right and that as soon as Bailey came on, Bailey took up a more advanced position on the right (the same position that Zaniolo has mainly played in) and that McGinn came into the left sided role. 

I think the answer is that Emery thinks that Zaniolo is better able to play in that deeper role on the left (even though he is still clearly not entirely comfortable there) but that Bailey doesn't have the same discipline so we needed to change shape slightly.  I'd like to see Zaniolo get a few games in his more natural position - but I do think that once he figures out his positioning better and when and where to attack space that he'll give us some good options.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Totally, but Zaniolo fits the system better on the right, for the same reasons Bailey does. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, allani said:

I think you've missed the point being made.  Zaniolo has played less than a handful of games in his career starting on the left of midfield and has played the vast majority of his games in an advanced role on the right.  It seems slightly odd that Zaniolo started in the left midfield role with McGinn on the right and that as soon as Bailey came on, Bailey took up a more advanced position on the right (the same position that Zaniolo has mainly played in) and that McGinn came into the left sided role. 

I think the answer is that Emery thinks that Zaniolo is better able to play in that deeper role on the left (even though he is still clearly not entirely comfortable there) but that Bailey doesn't have the same discipline so we needed to change shape slightly.  I'd like to see Zaniolo get a few games in his more natural position - but I do think that once he figures out his positioning better and when and where to attack space that he'll give us some good options.

Hes playing the role Ramsey plays drops deep for that pass from Pau, he’s been performing ok imo doesn’t lose possession it’s just the final ball letting him down no big deal if he wasn’t rated he wouldn’t be playing same with Bailey Emery is persevering with him for a reason.

• Like 1

Â