Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

Great finish.

Thought he could have done better with an opportunity first half though (the one which eventually ended with Bailey firing just wide). Found perfectly by Rogers, his touch took it away from goal, I reckon he could have been in straight on goal with a better directed touch to take him away from the defenders.

As others have said, looks so much more effective in the wide areas than as the support striker. Wide left might not be his preferred position, but I thought he still did a good job there. And having him and Bailey on either flank is potentially as threatening as any pair of wingers in the league/Europe. Rogers was playing more central last night, so I wonder if JJ could do similar (I know he drives into the middle with the ball anyway).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

As others have said, looks so much more effective in the wide areas than as the support striker. Wide left might not be his preferred position, but I thought he still did a good job there. And having him and Bailey on either flank is potentially as threatening as any pair of wingers in the league/Europe. Rogers was playing more central last night, so I wonder if JJ could do similar (I know he drives into the middle with the ball anyway).

Yup, he's a player made to exploit space, not equipped to be battling with big defenders etc.

“I spoke with Moussa about his qualities in getting one-v-one, mostly running the opponent behind with him,” said Emery. “Usually he’s playing on the right, but he played on the left in one match against Crystal Palace. I changed our structure tactically because we mostly play inside and get our striker to run against their full-back.”

Emery’s recall memory is vivid. Often when the media ask about any of his players, he will remember multiple scenarios from every game.

His recollection of Diaby’s 10 minutes on the left against Palace six months ago was a case in point. By moving the Frenchman from the inside-right position to the left this time, Villa could generate the one-v-ones Emery described against Ajax’s back three.

“The shape is to play to set players in combinations — one dropping in to get the ball and another running behind,” Emery said. “We can start with 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, but in the end, it is how we are playing with getting the ball inside, dropping in to help our build-up before moving players wide.”

Strikingly, all three of Villa’s forward players scored in the second half. Each goal came from exploiting the space Ajax left as they grew desperate with 10 men in the game’s final quarter.

Tactical control is Emery’s overarching quest, but picking the right pockets to seize the initiative is a speciality of his in Europe. Ajax went from feeling relatively comfortable to being ripped apart in little time

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2024 at 06:53, A'Villan said:

I dont know with Diaby, but sense that he and Unai will have to come together, and hopefully as consequence the team benefits.

34 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Unai 🖤

Just what i hoped would happen.

Quality second half.

He really should've started today.

Feels a bit odd we start him endlessly over the winter when he was off form and now he's picked up again we're just using him as impact sub. Maybe it's Carrot and stick but miles ahead of what Rogers was offering in the advanced midfield position.

Think he was much less hesitant and was getting away from players. 

Much more to come from Moussa and the right approach from Unai to keep backing him instead of coming down hard on him. This is just a confidence, position, and adaptation issue. 

There’s a baller in there; just have to get him rolling. 

Â