Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

the more i see of him, the more im surprised how often, and how deep and central he comes.

im sure he isnt doing it off his own back, i would guess its tactical, but whenever he does he just looks a little......inert?, coming deep and central tends to get him caught up in a crowded midfield, and his strenths negated.

I just tend to wonder why he isnt further forward and wider, open for the through ball, or ball over the top to use his pace and directness.

Its almost like we are trying to play him in a way that doesnt in any way, suit his key abilities.

I totally agree. Made a name for himself as a wide player and we’re playing him as a number 10. 

I’m just a bit perplexed by it all. He’s got talent but he’s been really, really bad for ages and I’m not sure our tactics are going to allow him to improve his form. 

We can’t afford for £45m signings not to come good for us. He has to improve or play in a position that allows him to showcase his talent. 

Just now, Xela said:

He's proven he's a very good player. He's just having a rough patch. He'll come good again. 

I’m inclined to go with this. He’s been really pants now getting anway from that but he can obviously play. We’ve seen it. Only thing I’ll say is we could really do with him coming good sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I totally agree. Made a name for himself as a wide player and we’re playing him as a number 10. 

I’m just a bit perplexed by it all. He’s got talent but he’s been really, really bad for ages and I’m not sure our tactics are going to allow him to improve his form. 

We can’t afford for £45m signings not to come good for us. He has to improve or play in a position that allows him to showcase his talent. 

maybe he's just having some trouble adjusting to the PL, or struggling to adjust to how Emery is trying to use him tactically, or both.

hopefully he will come good, either this season, or maybe next season after he has a full seasons experience under his belt.

I agree though, we cant afford to have a 45m flop, fingers crossed he is just.......taking more time than expected to fully adjust.

i do think we are using him wrong though, to me he looks like a nailed on winger, or inside/outside forward, no way is he a 10 who drops deep in to central areas (which he seems to do a lot).

Edited by MaVilla

When he first came i was really impressed with his strength. How he would bounce off players with his low centre of gravity. Thats gone. But it won't be long till he starts firing again

Too much of a talent not to

• Like 2

Thought he was o.k tonight.

He does have a tendency though to take endless touches and try to take the long way round. We had a counter near the end, Ollie unmarked to his left so he just needs to look up and play the pass through. Instead he checks back and trys to beat 2-3 of their players instead.

None of the biggest teams ever pressed the button , due to his lack of defensive ability it seemed. We did because Emery saw him as a second striker where tracking back isnt as important. But in this position he doesnt have space to run into and beat a man. The ball comes to him and then he is being asked to create his own space. Which isnt working currently. Thats on Emery. If he can't make the most of his expensive skillset then he will have to rethink his tactics as we dont have the finances to leave him on the bench if he continues to misfire. BUT, we will find a way. 

Why you all talking about Diaby?! Did he play tonight... I didn't see him....

Fortunately, when Bailey came on with 3 mins to go we had eleven players for the first time all night!

• Confused 1

Correct me if wrong but wasn't Diaby a touchline hugging winger for most of his time at Leverkusen. Emrey is turning him into someone who can comfortably operate centrally. No different than when Emrey persisted with bailey last season even though he blew hot and cold every start. I have faith Diaby will come good just like Bailey. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Why you all talking about Diaby?! Did he play tonight... I didn't see him....

Fortunately, when Bailey came on with 3 mins to go we had eleven players for the first time all night!

You must have been doing something else when his shot ended up in the net but chalked off for Luiz handball

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

the more i see of him, the more im surprised how often, and how deep and central he comes.

im sure he isnt doing it off his own back, i would guess its tactical, but whenever he does he just looks a little......inert?, coming deep and central tends to get him caught up in a crowded midfield, and his strengths negated.

I just tend to wonder why he isnt further forward and wider, open for the through ball, or ball over the top to use his pace and directness, or to receive a ball in space out wide and just go like the road runner.

Its almost like we are trying to play him in a way that doesnt in any way, suit his key abilities.

I actually feel sorry for him at times.

As you say, his strength are on the break and recieving the ball quickly with space to exploit.

He's a little guy, and expecting him to have to be battling lads twice his size in tricky areas half the time must be frustrating.

This is difficult enough for the likes of Ollie who is a very strong lad.

I think we either need to tweak his position maybe.

However, I'm willing to give him time, as we all should.

Leon should be an example, even Zaniolo looked useful in his allegedly favoured position tonight.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Give him time. Bailey took a long time to come good. So did Douglas Luiz and any number of other players. I don’t think he’d be playing in this number 10 role if Buendia were fit

He will come good, he gets himself into great positions. I think the speed of the PL has caught him off guard at times. He snatches at some chances when he seemed calm early on.

He'll adjust and next season he'll be a different player. Bailey was like this but a good bit poorer. 

He wasn't far off an goal/assist for Dougie and an assist for Tielemans. At times he can be quiet but there's usually some sort of chance that comes about through his involvement.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He started great. Not so much now. I wonder why.

He's been a passenger for the majority of the season now, which is a bit concerning. It's possible that he's still.dealing with lingering injuries, or that he's not being played in his best position.

Diaby is probably the most pure athlete in the side, and he's technically quite good. He's also young and adjusting to a new manager, a new league, and a new country. 

Hopefully he gets locked in again soon because we need goals!

Â