F: Brentford USA: Sunday July 30 17.00

ender4

Our highline, seems to be the go to tactic, for our opponents.

We have to fix this when the season kicks off....because it seems common knowledge now.

Just now, TRO said:

Our highline, seems to be the go to tactic, for our opponents.

We have to fix this when the season kicks off....because it seems common knowledge now.

Thomas Frank was interviewed before the game and he said it was obvious what their tactics would be. Play in to the space ehind the high line.

Villa got done against the long ball from the Barcodes. Almost done by Fulham switching the play with long cross field passes. And again from Brentford they exploited the high line.

Hopefully The Professor can work it out.

• Like 1

Game went a bit dead in the second half, as you'd expect with substitutions, the heat etc, but up until then it was an enjoyable one. Thought we played some great stuff at times, could really see both individual quality being up a level as well as the balance of the team starting to take shape. Konsa's goal obviously takes all the attention but the build-up for the other two were great and showed the comfortability in possession that has grown and grown. 

13 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thomas Frank was interviewed before the game and he said it was obvious what their tactics would be. Play in to the space ehind the high line.

Villa got done against the long ball from the Barcodes. Almost done by Fulham switching the play with long cross field passes. And again from Brentford they exploited the high line.

Hopefully The Professor can work it out.

Yeah, sadly too obvious.....The defending was questionable at times, even their 3rd goal, too many ball watchers...not quick enough to react and close down.

We got done last season in the cup at Old Trafford and Liverpool did the same.

The problem is with it......its so damn easy.

All our terrific interplay, is negated by such basic movement.....I think its a real concern.

I hope UE has a fix, because it is so easy to get back at us.....we almost need a sweeper or cut off the supply, by being tencious in the challenge to the kicker.

Some will say, its a trade off, for the way we play and the benefit out weighs the issue.....but I'm not sure about that.

Maybe, when we are back hom and VAR comes in to play, it will be a bit easier to control.....but even then, it risky.

Wonder what the majority think.

PS just picking up on the defensive side of the game, as the forward play and inter passing was Great.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I'm watching the replay of the game again as we speak. Every single mistake, miss, broken down bit of play, goals against... is a teachable moment.

You can bet Unai will study these games in forensic detail and then work with Ollie to ensure his finishing from a cut back is on point, or work with the defence so that the high line never veers into our own half again. 

At times yesterday we controlled the game in a manner that I've never seen in a Villa side before. Last season, I think we were undefeated in our pre season games, but it felt more like luck than judgement .

Very promising signs so far.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

I think we start the season with Cash, Mings, Pau and Digne.

I think Pau starts the game when fit. I think he will be the constant and everyone else will. Hangs depending on the opposition. I think Konsa made a case for RB too, he may get the nod over Cash. 

I suspect a lot will depend on the next few friendlies.

I can see it being either Cash or Digne until Moreno comes back. If Digne starts we play Konsa at RB. If we play Cash we play Pau at LB. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Yeah, sadly too obvious.....The defending was questionable at times, even their 3rd goal, too many ball watchers...not quick enough to react and close down.

All our terrific interplay, is negated by such basic movement.....I think its a real concern.

I hope UE has a fix, because it is so easy to get back at us.....we almost need a sweeper or cut off the supply, by being tencious in the challenge to the kicker.

Some will say, its a trade off, for the way we play and the benefit out weighs the issue.....but I'm not sure about that.

Maybe, when we are back hom and VAR comes in to play, it will be a bit easier to control.....but even then, it risky.

PS just picking up on the defensive side of the game, as the forward play and inter passing was Great.

Getting found out by it in the cup at old Trafford and v Liverpool but conversely we also beat Newcastle, Tottenham, Brighton, Chelsea, Man United etc playing that way.

It is the trade off like you say, but as long as we win most of our matches, it really doesnt matter.

16 hours ago, villaslash said:

Where did you sit KMitch? Behind the Villa goal?

Yeah, but I was 2 sections over from the group trying to sing. It was a more relaxed group of supporters in my area, which is why the couple of drunks boiled over on some of the old timers. 

On 30/07/2023 at 08:32, Enda said:

Not Villa related but what were your favourite monument/museums?

I’m a sucker for good museums and historical sites. My favorites in DC are the Air and Space Museum, the Holocaust Memorial, and the tour of the Capital (need to get tickets from the government ahead of your visit). 

• Like 1

I've yet to see a proper slow mo replay of the pass to Schade for the penalty. I'm convinced it was offside. I've watch all the highlights I can find and no replays. The game live they showed the replay once and he looked half a yard off to me.

16 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I've yet to see a proper slow mo replay of the pass to Schade for the penalty. I'm convinced it was offside. I've watch all the highlights I can find and no replays. The game live they showed the replay once and he looked half a yard off to me.

He was in his own half when the ball was played 

• Like 1

All irrelevant and inconsequential, but I wonder if we were ‘asked’ not to win the game yesterday so that the Chelsea - Fulham match could be a ‘winner takes all’ game (which we know the US folk love).

I’m not saying it dictated the result and we’d have won otherwise but I can well see that conversation having happened with the organisers.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

After the Arsenal game we conceded 8 goals in 15 games and never more than one in a game, I think that may answer your concerns? Pro rata that is 21 goals in a season 

Edited by Follyfoot

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I haven't seen any replays that show this! Point me in the right direction please!

No idea where to find it, I just remember from watching it yesterday as I thought he looked offside but one of the replays showed he was a yard inside own half. We got the high line wrong.

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

They say he was just in his own half, I am not sure......but why don't we track the runners?

Â