F: Brentford USA: Sunday July 30 17.00

ender4

19 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

He was in his own half,what was fortunate about the 3 goals Bees scored ?

You rarely have two world class strikes in one game. Even if you're a world class team. 

Thought the last part of the first half we looked fantastic and shows you what a quick talk from Emery will do. With that team we will be sizzling. Diaby looked so sharp for only his second game and newly on the team. Who thought you would ever say great surging run from Konsa for goal.

it was hot. Luckily we are now in the shade and quite pleasant.

my only wish is though we were in a Villa area the fans were so spread with there being 4 teams and mostly Chelski filling the void it never got rocking but hats off to the fans behind the Villa goal.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

On the metro back from the match. Was originally planning on staying for the Chelsea/Fulham match but it’s too damn hot and I’m already getting sunburnt. Had a big problem with people standing in my section of the stadium and the ushers eventually gave up trying to get people to sit, so it turned hostile in the 2nd half with fans yelling at each other. An Englishman behind me was about to throw this drunk idiot in front of us down the stairs because kept waving around his full sized flag and blocking our view. 

Half the stadium was empty for the Villa match, I’m assuming because all the Chelsea plastics couldn’t be bothered to watch “small clubs” like Villa (but I couldn’t be bothered to watch them, so go figure). Lots of Chelsea merchandise being sold in the stadium and I only saw 1 vendor carrying a Villa kit.  Chelsea also had a large presence at the prematch “Fan Zone” booths before the match and were giving out flags and banners to everyone. Huge opportunity for the Villa marketing team for next time. 

I didn’t get a good look at the Konsa challenge for their penalty, was that a stonewall? What a solo goal from Konsa as well. Couldn’t believe what I was watching. It was shades of Hutton against the Blues. Diaby is a special player. You could feel the energy in the stadium every time he got on the ball. 

Overall, it was a good run out and another good preseason performance for the boys. 

Where did you sit KMitch? Behind the Villa goal?

For me a few things have stood out on the US preseason tour. 

Unai is still trying to find his starting back line (4 or 5). I actually think we may start the season with last seasons back 4 with Pau and Carlos coming from the bench. 

Midfield has real options but expect to see SJM, Luiz and Kamara start. Ahead of that I think Ollie, Diaby and JPB are in the spots at the moment. 

36 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Unai is still trying to find his starting back line (4 or 5). I actually think we may start the season with last seasons back 4 with Pau and Carlos coming from the bench. 

Midfield has real options but expect to see SJM, Luiz and Kamara start. Ahead of that I think Ollie, Diaby and JPB are in the spots at the moment. 

Buendia was exceptional vs Newcastle. Am fairly sure he'll be starting rather than JPB - although the latter definitely looks like he has a lot to offer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Tim Howard, ex Everton GK.

I thought he was quite good and gave us a lot of praise…

Thank you @Jas10 my missus brought it to my attention asking me who it was because she thought he was much better than the usual British ex-professionals we usually get as colour commentators… unfortunately I had no clue who it was at the time..

10 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

Thank you @Jas10 my missus brought it to my attention asking me who it was because she thought he was much better than the usual British ex-professionals we usually get as colour commentators… unfortunately I had no clue who it was at the time..

You’re welcome mate. He gave us quite a lot of praise… makes a pleasant change 😆

Good run out for the Villa in these three games...

The Brentford match was a bit weird though, Villa seemed to dominate the ball for the most part and were sloppy to let them back in the game. The heat must have played a massive factor as the pace of the game slowed down a lot from the Villa side which allowed Brentford the opportunity.

At times Villa absolutely dominated them and the way the football was getting passed around was lovely to see.

Diaby looks brilliant and will hopefully be very dangerous this season and give Villa another outlet.

Kamara and Luiz dominated the midfield and were absolutely class, we missed Kamara when he went off.

Bidace looks promising, I wonder if Emery will keep him around. He's started all three matches in this series of games.

Cash was brilliant again I thought and scored a great goal.

Worries about Buendia and Bailey again from me. Buendia although limited time yet struggled to get into the game and I thought he was poor against Fulham. He seems a one good game in three type of player unfortunately. I know Bailey has just come back into the squad after having been away but again the ball was bouncing off the back of his head and his heel at one point. Just looks clumsy.

7 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Mother of all fkrs I've gone out for a couple Sunday drinks from 2pm ( still out) and I've missed the match.

Who scored ?

20230730_232952.jpg

You know it’s a good party if there’s a bloke in Hi-Vis in the pub! 😆 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Villa overall

You almost look a better team without Toney. You will have another decent season, I thought you were better than your results in this tournament. Sort your defence out, stay injury free and you could upset the status quo.

10 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I think we start the season with Cash, Mings, Pau and Digne.

I think Pau starts the game when fit. I think he will be the constant and everyone else will. Hangs depending on the opposition. I think Konsa made a case for RB too, he may get the nod over Cash. 

I suspect a lot will depend on the next few friendlies.

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

You almost look a better team without Toney. You will have another decent season, I thought you were better than your results in this tournament. Sort your defence out, stay injury free and you could upset the status quo.

I was going to say this, I know it’s preseason but Brentford looked less one dimensional without Toney

Despite the hype surrounding their data-driven model, Brentford are just the new Stoke for me. Very physical (Ben Mee, what a prick), effective from set pieces and on the counter. I thought we had them chasing shadows with our play in the first half. Really exciting to see how our in-possession game is evolving. I was encouraged by how many attacking options there were for us in every move. I definitely think we'll be exciting to watch this season. Just need to find the right balance with defense. That will come though. Exciting times!

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Despite the hype surrounding their data-driven model, Brentford are just the new Stoke for me. Very physical (Ben Mee, what a prick), effective from set pieces and on the counter. I thought we had them chasing shadows with our play in the first half. Really exciting to see how our in-possession game is evolving. I was encouraged by how many attacking options there were for us in every move. I definitely think we'll be exciting to watch this season. Just need to find the right balance with defense. That will come though. Exciting times!

Agreed. I remember when they used to be a good footballing team in the championship and that was their identity, but it seems like they've basically ditched their principles just to get to the premier league and stay there.

• Like 1

Â