F: Brentford USA: Sunday July 30 17.00

ender4

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I love how all the media tragics especially the BBC are bigging up Chelsea's 'win' of the Summer Series as something super important

what else have they got to big up?

10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

You know it’s a good party if there’s a bloke in Hi-Vis in the pub! 😆 

That was his actual top, I guess he thought the girls would think he was the lunatic from Britain's got talent 🤣 

Thank god I didn't have to work today 🤦 saw the 5 mins highlights but they normally miss out the majority of good play. Was looking forward to that game as well 🤦

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

After the Arsenal game we conceded 8 goals in 15 games and never more than one in a game, I think that may answer your concerns? Pro rata that is 21 goals in a season 

Well, if we can revert back to that, fine.

6 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

I'm watching the replay of the game again as we speak. Every single mistake, miss, broken down bit of play, goals against... is a teachable moment.

You can bet Unai will study these games in forensic detail and then work with Ollie to ensure his finishing from a cut back is on point, or work with the defence so that the high line never veers into our own half again. 

At times yesterday we controlled the game in a manner that I've never seen in a Villa side before. Last season, I think we were undefeated in our pre season games, but it felt more like luck than judgement .

Very promising signs so far.

Elements of our play, during this series has been very,very encouraging....other elements need work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

After the Arsenal game we conceded 8 goals in 15 games and never more than one in a game, I think that may answer your concerns? Pro rata that is 21 goals in a season 

and if we can get back to that....no worries.

12 months on from the Australia tour and you can see the huge differences in our team. Full of players who want the ball now. Full of players that know what to do in any given situation. Control the ball. Starve the opposition of the ball. Slow it down until ready to pounce. It is great to see. And also when it goes wrong we have a coach that can put it right and a team that can understand the coaches tactics. None of which was on show 12 months ago

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

12 months on from the Australia tour and you can see the huge differences in our team. Full of players who want the ball now. Full of players that know what to do in any given situation. Control the ball. Starve the opposition of the ball. Slow it down until ready to pounce. It is great to see. And also when it goes wrong we have a coach that can put it right and a team that can understand the coaches tactics. None of which was on show 12 months ago

Yes, it seems like we're witnessing a 12th month miracle....I never thought that I'd see such progress in such a short amount of time!

13 hours ago, thunderball said:

You almost look a better team without Toney. You will have another decent season, I thought you were better than your results in this tournament. Sort your defence out, stay injury free and you could upset the status quo.

I have thought the same and the facts are we never lost a league game last season when he didn’t play.To contradict that we will miss Toney as he has vastly improved the last 2 seasons and his all round game both defensively and in attack will be glad when he moves on and he doesn’t want to be with us although he’s still being paid while he swans around the nightclubs of the world.Not confident that we will improve on last seasons results as Raya was a big miss when he was out of the team last season and he’s def off.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TRO said:

They say he was just in his own half, I am not sure......but why don't we track the runners?

Schade is one of the fastest players in the world, I don't blame Torres for losing him, it was his first game at left back.

Still believe he was offside. I think it was deliberately glossed over by the broadcasters, because the lineman didn't flag. 

Guess it doesn't really matter anyway, it was just friendly. But that first half we had Brentford on the ropes. Their 2 goal lead wasn't deserved. Their first was against the run of play (and offside), the second was a 1 in 10 moment at best for DaSilva, and the second half was utterly pointless.

53 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Schade is one of the fastest players in the world, I don't blame Torres for losing him, it was his first game at left back.

Still believe he was offside. I think it was deliberately glossed over by the broadcasters, because the lineman didn't flag. 

Guess it doesn't really matter anyway, it was just friendly. But that first half we had Brentford on the ropes. Their 2 goal lead wasn't deserved. Their first was against the run of play (and offside), the second was a 1 in 10 moment at best for DaSilva, and the second half was utterly pointless.

Yeah....We were the better team, no doubt....but I still have concerns at times of how easy we concede, when we do.

I love clean sheets....I think it builds confidence.

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah....We were the better team, no doubt....but I still have concerns at times of how easy we concede, when we do.

I love clean sheets....I think it builds confidence.

You're right, but in preseason, with experimental line ups and a centre back playing left back for the first time while integrating into a new team.  We have to accept that they are really ready to achieve those levels yet. But we can certainly have optimism that those level will be attained purely based on past achievements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Just watched it back and he was in his own half when the ball was played.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

You're right, but in preseason, with experimental line ups and a centre back playing left back for the first time while integrating into a new team.  We have to accept that they are really ready to achieve those levels yet. But we can certainly have optimism that those level will be attained purely based on past achievements.

Yeah.....I accept that.

4 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

Just watched it back and he was in his own half when the ball was played.

Well that alone, is something to learn from.....don't all venture in to the oppositions half.

Edited by TRO

Two absolutely incredible goals in one match. I'd say Ezri Maradona Konsa's wins best goal of the game as afterall hr did dribble all the way from just outside his own penalty box and put the ball in the top corner! (What?!?) But even before Dasilva's sublime curling shot into the top corner from just outside the penalty box, what brilliant control to trap the ball dead from a high crossfield pass! Stunning.

On 01/08/2023 at 08:57, Philosopher said:

He was in his own half, as had been said already, you cannot be offside in your own half.

21 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He was in his own half, as had been said already, you cannot be offside in your own half.

I'm hearing this, but I haven't seen it for myself, and thus am sceptical. I watched the game and the highlights, but I still haven't seen a good replay of this. But it doesn't matter its only a friendly.

• Confused 1

Â