Fixtures 23/24

Demitri_C

In all our PL seasons since being back we either got a top 6 team or a newly promoted side away:

19/20 - CL finalists Spurs away

20/21 - Man City at home (postponed though)

21/22 - Watford Away

22/23 - Bournemouth away

We lost all of those matches too. 

Even going back to our last stint in the PL:

15/16 - Bournemouth away

14/15 - Stoke away

13/14 - Arsenal away

12/13 - West Ham away (newly promoted)

The last time we physically played a PL home game on the opening weekend of the season was Milner's last game in 2010 against West Ham. Also notable for being Marc Albrighton's breakout game. Quite incredible really.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

I’d rather not play a top six side to ‘get them out of the way’, I want to play a team that we’ve got more chance of beating. A Bournemouth, Wolves, or Everton type. Momentum is huge and we want to start the season with a win. No easy games, I know but something like Palace at home would be preferable to Liverpool away. 

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The last time we physically played a PL home game on the opening weekend of the season was Milner's last game in 2010 against West Ham. Also notable for being Marc Albrighton's breakout game. Quite incredible really.

this can't be a coincidence? is there something going on in brum in august each year?

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this can't be a coincidence? is there something going on in brum in august each year?

It's funny because that season we played at home was the only season out of the ones I listed that SHA were in the PL. 

Not sure it really matters as I have total confidence in Emery and that we’ll be ready whoever we get. Got to play everyone twice, irrespective of when. 

Starting the season at home would be nice though. 

Edited by ferguson1

15 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Please not a newly promoted team away. Always seems to happen and it's a dreadful draw vs playing them at any other point. 

I wouldn't mind getting Burnley first.  See if Kompany's pepball works in the PL with a load of championship players.

15 hours ago, STO said:

August 12th, although I wonder if there will be a Friday night game.

Probably a Saturday at 12.30, another at 17.30 and a couple of Sunday games too.:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I wouldn't mind getting Burnley first.  See if Kompany's pepball works in the PL with a load of championship players.

They would be the last of the promoted teams that I would want to go to, let another couple of clubs dent their confidence first. 

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Don't Luton have to play their first few games away?

At least the 1st game I believe as their pitch won't be ready, I'm calling BS just like last season when there was a 'supposed' leak and it was miles off  🤦‍♂️🤣