Pau Torres

Delphinho123

So really just local media suggesting we've made an offer alongside Juventus...

I know there's no point expecting a British reputable site to pick this up as there will be no leaks coming from our end, so it's about as concrete as you can get with us these days. 

That said, I suspect this is agent game playing. Not sure we'd meet a €50m release clause for an area of the pitch that is less of a priority than two others (second striker and right back. I imagine we'll also spend a fair bit on a backup keeper (upwards of 10m), and not sure we've got the wiggle room in FFP to put 50m on a rotation centre back...

Unless the plan is to move Konsa to right back and there are doubts over Carlos, but I feel that's unlikely. 

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

for an area of the pitch that is less of a priority than two others (second striker and right back.

Biggest problem is that we don’t know the budget and don’t know what Emery’s priorities are.  To us it seems obvious the positions you say but Emery may feel a ball playing CB is key to his system going forwards and it maybe in his top two or three priorities. We just don’t know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Biggest problem is that we don’t know the budget and don’t know what Emery’s priorities are.  To us it seems obvious the positions you say but Emery may feel a ball playing CB is key to his system going forwards and it maybe in his top two or three priorities. We just don’t know!

Indeed.

If the budget is bigger than I think, then he's exactly the calibre of player I'd hope we're targeting. 

But if we didn't then spend 50m+ on a second striker also I think we'd be prioritising the wrong area.

Our defence was very solid. And, whilst we had no problems scoring 1 goal, we were comfortably the lowest scoring team in the top half. But we were creating chances, so it's realistically the finishing end of the spectrum that needs the most investment for me.

Be interesting to see it all play out whatever. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If the salaries on offer are similar, how could you not want to play under Emery already knowing how incredible he is?

Especially when the alternative seems to be a scandal ridden Juventus, or staying at the club that isn't as good as it was before Emery left it.

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If the salaries on offer are similar, how could you not want to play under Emery already knowing how incredible he is?

Depends, there was one player - can't find it now - who said he absolutely loves Emery but couldn't handle something like a third or fourth season under him because of the intensity 🤣

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Crazy to think we’re in a better place than teams like juventus, it’s great 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment on how good a player he is, but I would be sad to see Konsa and Mings broken up if we do sign a starting CB. I know we’ve got Carlos to come back in too, so there will be rotation, but adding a fourth seems like it could lead to some disappointment to me. Who knows though, maybe we will see some outgoings in defence as Emery makes his mark. I trust him to do the right thing and make us better, I just really like Mings and Konsa. 

24 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment on how good a player he is, but I would be sad to see Konsa and Mings broken up if we do sign a starting CB. I know we’ve got Carlos to come back in too, so there will be rotation, but adding a fourth seems like it could lead to some disappointment to me. Who knows though, maybe we will see some outgoings in defence as Emery makes his mark. I trust him to do the right thing and make us better, I just really like Mings and Konsa. 

We did see Konsa moved to right back late in the season to accommodate Carlos coming in at centre back. 

Many had suggested he might do this based on what he did with Foyth before,  but to see it actually happen does give credence to the idea that might happen more permanently. Especially if either Carlos is expected to be back fully functional and/or we sign someone new.

I didn't think it was logical, given Konsa's age (Foyth was 21 when he got converted), but looking at how much we need to spend, and how many more games we're likely to play i am thinking more and more that we'll use Konsa as a right back more than a CB next season. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

I said he’s one our scouts have definitely identified, as he was mentioned when SG came in. 

Emery loves him as a player and will know his strengths. 

2 out of 4  CBs of Torres, Mings, Konsa, Carlos is pretty good squad, as Mings said competition for places will just push the others to get better.

38 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Torres would be starting next to Mings, not instead of.

I can't see it. How many dual left-footed centre back partnerships are out there?  Coaches don't like the idea.

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

I hate the idea of two left footed centre backs playing together 

Yet for years it's been commonplace to have two right footed centre backs!! 

• Like 3

Â