Pau Torres

Delphinho123

Majestic, and nearly scored an unbelievable goal. His range of passing is incredible for a centre back. Even if he’s not the perfect defender, he is so watchable … always feels like he’ll do something positive with the ball at his feet

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

After a rocky start he is now showing his true worth.

A wonderful player. So cultured.

There's an element of that for sure.  But also I think that there is also an element that we are becoming more educated in terms of what Pau brings to the team.  He's not the type of defender that we are used to - in that we will almost certainly concede more goals with him in the team.  However, we are so much better going the other way with him in the team that we'll usually create more chances with him in the team than we concede.  Which is just a different way of having an immense defensive player in the team who nullifies all threat from the opposition but is not as good with the ball.  I think that it has taken a lot of people some time to realise that that isn't an issue.  Winning 2-1 is the same as winning 1-0 but probably a bit more entertaining (although last night was one of the best 1-0 wins I have ever seen).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Majestic, and nearly scored an unbelievable goal. His range of passing is incredible for a centre back. Even if he’s not the perfect defender, he is so watchable … always feels like he’ll do something positive with the ball at his feet

Imagine him and Martin Laursen in the same side.  I mean GOD is untouchable but Torres and Laursen would be absolutely incredible to watch.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Dodgy start?  He's made 15 appearances for us..  this IS the start :lol: 

And he's been really good up until now. Literally one of the main reasons we're so good

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

After a rocky start

This should maybe be reworded as “after exactly the start we should expect with any new signing thrown in in those circumstances” and then should be repeated across basically every thread!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

The range and accuracy of his passing under pressure is unreal…

He’s got goals in him too…

What a player

Really unlucky yesterday with his shot.  I can't remember the last time we had a defender who received the ball in the opposition penalty area, took time to have a look at all the available options and then almost curled one into the top corner.  I mean he was probably 10 cms away from the perfect finish in terms of getting it just out of the GK's reach and inside the far post.  And then a few minutes later he made a good challenge in our box and rather than just hammering the ball clear he knew that he was in front of the Man City attackers and so could run the ball out of defence and then play a great ball into one of the midfielders who had used those 3 or 4 seconds to make space for themselves.  So calm and cool.

It's been a thrill to see the way he has grown organically into his role. I don't think I've ever seen a player quite like him. He's a little bit like Pique at times, but less scrappy. I'm impressed with his out-of-nowhere acceleration and opportunistic shots at times. He suddenly sprints into spaces without hesitation and progresses the ball 40 yards toward the opposition goal, seemingly in an instant. It's pretty scary when this happens. It's weird because he looks sort of lissome and graceful, and then -- pow! -- he explodes like a firecracker. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's been a thrill to see the way he has grown organically into his role. I don't think I've ever seen a player quite like him. He's a little bit like Pique at times, but less scrappy. I'm impressed with his out-of-nowhere acceleration and opportunistic shots at times. He suddenly sprints into spaces without hesitation and progresses the ball 40 yards toward the opposition goal, seemingly in an instant. It's pretty scary when this happens. It's weird because he looks sort of lissome and graceful, and then -- pow! -- he explodes like a firecracker. 

Or Pau! ?

• Haha 1

I'm absolutely certain we'll never have a defender to the level of his ability on the ball ever again. Outstanding. 

We've obviously got some great ball playing defenders as it is now but Torres is something else. Lovely footballer to watch. 

• Like 1

Â