Pau Torres

Delphinho123

8 minutes ago, spiezels said:

We’ll lack all aerial threat offensively and defensively without mings. 

Defensively - probably. Mings was a monster in the air. Like a magnet to the ball, always seems to be in the right place. It’s something Carlos, Torres and Konsa are going to have to really work hard at because it’s a big big loss.

Offensively - not at all. Mings is surprisingly terrible at attacking corners. From what I’ve seen of Carlos and Torres I think this is one area we’ll actually improve. 

Edited by villaglint

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll have to disagree.

If he's playing pooly after the international break we bought the wrong player and should have got someone more suited to the PL. 

We can't afford £35m players that don't largely improve us.

He didn't play particularly badly yesterday btw. Looked very good on the ball. We now need him to replace Mings as well though.

£35m is not a big transfer fee nowadays. We obviously disagree on that.

The rest of your post is a non sequitur, I don’t think I made any of those points. Was just replying to someone saying a £35m player should be arriving here and shooting out the lights immediately.

Clearly we need him to improve us (like any signing), the question is does he improve us from day one or does it take a few months?

My guess is he will look very good in some games and make some big mistakes in a disjointed defence when we’re up against tougher opposition. And that the latter will improve over time as the squad gels.

1 hour ago, spiezels said:

We’ll lack all aerial threat offensively and defensively without mings. 

Defensively yes maybe, but Mings is terrible offensively for such a tall guy, it’s the biggest thing missing from his game.

I thought he looked excellent on the ball. Like having an extra midfielder to bring the ball out. When he’s up and running it should allow Luiz to player slightly further up the field in possession as he won’t have to come deep the carry the ball for us. 

5 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I thought he looked excellent on the ball. Like having an extra midfielder to bring the ball out. When he’s up and running it should allow Luiz to player slightly further up the field in possession as he won’t have to come deep the carry the ball for us. 

Yeah agreed our game will now adapt. I also thought he looked good on the ball. Guess that’s a given with his reputation. Really need to make sure we our able to adapt to cover the things we’ll now miss with Mings out. It’s a huge challenge but he’s got the pedigree and the manager to hopefully figure out a game plan that play to his and our strengths in both directions. 

• Like 1

I do wonder how we fix the centre half problem?  

Part of me thinks having someone read in on the Premier League (Konsa) alongside Torres might work, but the other part of me thinks two Spanish speakers in there might make communication and positioning better.

I am yet to see Diego Carlos show he can lead a defence in the Premier League either before or after injury.  He is a real gamble and one Emery needs to work 

9 minutes ago, macandally said:

I do wonder how we fix the centre half problem?  

Part of me thinks having someone read in on the Premier League (Konsa) alongside Torres might work, but the other part of me thinks two Spanish speakers in there might make communication and positioning better.

I am yet to see Diego Carlos show he can lead a defence in the Premier League either before or after injury.  He is a real gamble and one Emery needs to work 

Problem with Konsa is that he lacks any leadership. He crumbled as soon as Mings went off and needs an “alpha” type next to him. 

At least with Carlos you know he’s going to stand up and be counted every time. 

It's a good job he's already signed. It's far from ideal circumstances but it's a batism of fire from here on out. We've invested a lot of money in him and Carlos. We're about to find out how wise that spending was. The main thing is Carlos staying fit imo. More question marks about that than about Pau though.

• Like 2

Has to start with Carlos for me now as our new partnership. And we need to give them a run of games to settle and learn each others game, no knee-jerk reactions.

For me Torres and Carlos will compliment each other the best with Torres being the calm, ball playing defender; with Carlos being the dominant, aerial ball winning defender. The language barrier will also be easiest with those two both speaking Spanish.

For me Konsa is better with Mings being the more vocal defender next to him and organising the defence, he fell apart after Mings went off although the whole back line suffered and our high line was a shambles.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Problem with Konsa is that he lacks any leadership. He crumbled as soon as Mings went off and needs an “alpha” type next to him. 

At least with Carlos you know he’s going to stand up and be counted every time. 

Agree Mings and Konsa are a strong defensive unit, I just don’t know what the best centre back pairing will be for rest of season.  Torres, yes, but not sure who to partner him with 

8 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Konsa as the tucked in right back alongside Pau, and Carlos is the way to go. Worth a try. 

I think that’s what Emery will coach this week, but that set up was what saw us ship at least two on Saturday.

Have to hope that a week working on it gets it tuned enough to deal with Maupay! 

• Like 1

Mings is a colossus in his position, but the combination of Torres and Carlos may turn out to be a better partnership in the aggregate than Mings and Konsa. Either way, we’re now going to find out this season. 

• Like 2

Â