Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's not even top 4, it's top 5 right? We were within a shout of that going into the last few games last season, and that's with the early season handicap.

Top 5 depending on how well all the English teams do in Europe this season.  So we're going to have to support Man City, Newcastle, Man Utd, etc if it looks like we can finish in 5th.

Edited by ender4

37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've seen the opposite.

A load of pundits and other fans have said we will be " this seasons team to watch ", The " Dark Horse " and " Villa can get Champions League ".

I actually don't know if i like it because I feel we could be setting up for disappointment, even if we have a relatively good season.

Can't be assed with the trolling if we don't make it either.

Teams and opposition fans are defo keeping an eye on us IMO.

It seems the signing of Diaby stunned a few.

I get what you’re saying, there are definitely a few in the media taking notice. But I meant the  casual fan. Seen a Sky poll (can’t find the link) but it was fan voted and they had Emery as 12th best manager in the PL.  Those who voted in that are in for a shock when we batter their team.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've seen the opposite.

A load of pundits and other fans have said we will be " this seasons team to watch ", The " Dark Horse " and " Villa can get Champions League ".

I actually don't know if i like it because I feel we could be setting up for disappointment, even if we have a relatively good season.

I think the 3 of the new signings, have been game changers, and we have to remember the last 2 got off to a slow start due to long term injuries.....thats like new signings too.

Thats 5 very good players to get to grips with this squad....and a couple of youth players knocking on the door, with impudence to improve.

its very encouraging.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've seen the opposite.

Yeah I'm with you, I've seen a lot of pundits bigging us up for next season now and when people find out I'm a villa fan they've pretty much all said how good they think we'll be next season and what a top manager emery is. I think the casual fan expects us to be right up there next season 

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Seen a Sky poll (can’t find the link) but it was fan voted and they had Emery as 12th best manager in the PL.  Those who voted in that are in for a shock when we batter their team.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

I get what you’re saying, there are definitely a few in the media taking notice. But I meant the  casual fan. Seen a Sky poll (can’t find the link) but it was fan voted and they had Emery as 12th best manager in the PL.  Those who voted in that are in for a shock when we batter their team.

Surprised by this. Everyone I speak to really rates Emery and what Villa are doing. I would normally say Champions League talk is getting carried away but if Newcastle can do it why can’t we?  Although I do think being in Europe will impact our league position though. 

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

Why are you so obsessed with what non villa fans think?

I find it irrelevant and uninteresting.

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

Seen a couple of those super computer predictions although not entirely sure where the first one originated from but I like it 😅

F2i_SokX0AEi2iV.thumb.jpeg.9d103eeba3134f99768b45dc1b466fda.jpeg

Supercomputer-2023-2024-Premier-League-Table.thumb.jpg.94078e17d537189200ad0a2396a59254.jpg

I would say that way too few variables have gone into both of those predictions.

The top 10 is very competitive. If I had to call it now, we have jumped Brentford, Brighton and Spurs, possibly Newcastle too. Liverpool, Chelsea and United have all strengthened creating viable competition for the top 4/5 spots. Citeh and Arsenal will still be the top two.

Off topic, but I also see Wolves or Everton going down with both Sheff U and Luton.

4 hours ago, Tubby said:

I would say that way too few variables have gone into both of those predictions.

The top 10 is very competitive. If I had to call it now, we have jumped Brentford, Brighton and Spurs, possibly Newcastle too. Liverpool, Chelsea and United have all strengthened creating viable competition for the top 4/5 spots. Citeh and Arsenal will still be the top two.

Off topic, but I also see Wolves or Everton going down with both Sheff U and Luton.

Yeah they're never usually that accurate I don't think but just a bit of fun.

I'd go along with your assessment about the teams who we might have overtaken and who has strengthened. I think if a couple of the other teams have off seasons like Chelsea, then top 4 is possible. I wouldn't expect us to finish any lower than 8th and even then I think that would be if Europe takes it's toll. So I'll go somewhere in the middle and say 6th.

• Like 1

I think Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool will make up the top three and probably Man Utd 4th. 5th I think is wide open between us, Chelsea, Newcastle and Tottenham. I personally think unless we sign a left sided attacker similar in quality to Diaby (Torres, Felix, Doku etc) and a right back better than Cash, we will finish 7th or 8th, but points between 5th-8th will be close. 

If we manage to finish 4th or 5th with no more additional incomings Emery will win Manager of the Season for sure. 

Top 7 and a cup and i would be thrilled with tbh

Fans just need to be patient this season and not turn on emery even if we hit a bumpy patch

He is the man and if backed 100% by the fans will deliver

• Like 4