Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Or more likely (given the top 4 will probably win the FA and League cups):

Top 5 - Champions League

6th place - Europa League

7th place - Europa League

8th place - ECL

If West Ham had won the ECL and also finished 5th this year....would there have been an extra place for the Europa League for England?

No, They would've taken Brighton spot. So them and Liverpool for Europa while Brighton to ECL. But what if they got 7th? Would 8th play ECL or not? Most probably yes.

A Champions League spot is our stated goal at his point as we start the campaign. I don't hear any ambiguity here. Do you? Emery is going to race full speed ahead for Champions League, no looking back, with at least one trophy along the way (besides the Orange Cup lol) ... it's exciting as we're embarking on the new season, but I can't help but also think that a whole generation of Villa fans owe a giant debt to Dean Smith for leading the Villa out of the Championship in 2019. We wouldn't be here without that massive achievement. It gives you a feeling of some humility, to remember where we came from only a few years ago.

The Spaniard also claims winning a trophy is his minimum aim for his Villa Park reign.

Emery is determined to match last season’s top-seven finish in his first full campaign in charge but hopes to go even better.

"We have to be a candidate to be in the top seven, that is our challenge," he said. "The present and the future for me at Aston Villa is try to play in the Champions League, that is my dream.

"Then, try to have the option to win a trophy, that is another challenge. My challenge here is to win trophies, minimum one trophy, but try to improve being a candidate for different trophies, in Europe, in the league, in the FA Cup, the Carabao Cup.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm increasingly confident we are going to win the league. 

So corny but ... "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars." But why not? Yeah, you won't look silly if you never express a big, outsized hope, and it doesn't work out. Which wins you a big golden zero. But for our players and coaching staff, I think they can't function otherwise than aiming for the best possible outcome. How can you "almost do your best" anyway?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Errr....lock?

Today has been a very bad first day due to a combination of factors but one thing that is beyond doubt is a team like Newcastle simply have far more goalscorers and threats in the final third.

3-1 up and they bring on 16 goal striker Wilson and 12 goal wide attacker Barnes and they both score.

Isak and Almiron also hit double figures in prem last season despite being injured for large spells.

We simply don't have enough threats, certainly Bailey with 5 goals a season is nowhere near enough and he'll be back on the bench after that first half performance today.

Backup of Duran who's missed pre season injured, Archer who clearly isn't rated by the manager for whatever reason and Coutinho is way too thin for a club in european competition.

I just see Zaniolo as a low cost Buendia replacement so that won't solve things either.

I admire the optimism in people predicting 2nd/3rd with 75-80 points but we simply don't score enough to be considered in that bracket and will likely concede more now in Mings absence. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Beat Everton and Burnley in our next two matches which I’d expect us to do. 

That’ll be 6 points out of 9 which will be a decent enough start. 

Even before today Burnley is exactly the sort of game we'd get turned over in, away and newly promoted.

They aren't playing next weekend so will be pretty fresh aswell.

We'll do our best to compete butnif you give me 8th or 9th right now and good form at end of the season I'd take it.

After everything that's happened in the last few days I'm completely broken. I do believe this club is cursed and really nearing the point where it's time to just step back from the sport as a whole. A year off from all this