Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I've no idea why people think Newcastle are definitely going to be an absolute powerhouse. I don't see it. 

Purely based on the evidence Man City and PSG have shown us.

The Saudis don’t do second 

1 minute ago, MarkLillis said:

Purely based on the evidence Man City and PSG have shown us.

The Saudis don’t do second 

PSG are in a much weaker league, Man City are Emirati owned and didn't just throw money at it - they got all the infrastructure in place and spent heavily. The Saudis tend to just throw money at things and hope for the best. Spending is no guarantee of success - look at Chelsea. 

Next season that top 4 will be ultra competitive. I think as many as 9 teams will be at least thinking they have a chance.

Man City obviously nailed on in their own group. Elite squad and manager. Sanctions for their rule breaking can't come soon enough.

After that you could make the case for any of the other "big 6" teams plus us, Brighton and Newcastle to get in there. Arsenal probably top this group because of this seasons' perfomance plus stability and quality in both management and squad.

Based on management alone I'd say it's hard to choose between the rest bar Spurs who don't have one yet. Emery, Klopp, Poch and Ten Haag have all shown their pedigree over a number of seasons while De Zerbi and Howe in recent years look like they are at a similar level. Spurs have the opportunity to get someone in of a similar calibre, if they get that right they are back in the equation.

From a squad perspective, I'd say all have their pros and cons, some more in either case than others, and there'll be a lot riding on who can retain or lean into the former, and solve the issues of the latter.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and maybe Spurs have arguably the highest numbers of established elite quality players, but all also have holes in their team that need fixing, some of these elite players aging, and some seemingly wanting out altogether. Spurs certainly have all these issues and could easily drop out of contention with a bad summer. The other three teams' issues are fewer and easier to fix.

For us and Newcastle I think it's how much we can get on par with these teams this summer. I think both teams already have certain players on par with the "big 6". Martinez and Pope are arguably as good or better than what any of those teams have in goal. Botman, Ramsey and Kamara are showing quality and a level of progression that are taking them to that level. Luiz, Guimaraes, Trippier, Moreno, Mings and Watkins could all improve what some of these teams have currently.

And I don't think Newcastle's new-found wealth puts them miles ahead of us in this regard given financial rules, and we are certainly in a good position to spend ourselves without falling foul of them. Both teams will be looking to do similar things in terms of number and level of player, though the focus on position and role won't always be the same. We'll be looking for right-backs, progressive and creative midfielders and forwards. They'll presumably be looking for left and centre backs and defensive mids, with maybe some crossover in attacking mid and forward areas. I think both teams could easily end the summer with first XIs much closer in quality to the "big 6".

Brighton probably have the biggest issues squad-wise in seemingly losing Caicedo and MacAllister. But these sales plus EL qualification will give them scope to do a lot in the summer. The question will be whether they can replace at a level to compete for CL, and/or how much further progress the prospects they can retain will make next season.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

What the media and fans alike forget to mention regarding West Ham is that they managed to get to the Europa League Semi Final the season before whilst maintaining pretty good league form and finishing 7th that season. There was a drop off at the back end of that season granted, but to finish in Europe again despite going deep in the EL was a decent achievement for those bottomfeeders. 

People forget as well that they’ve began their season with couple of losses without goal, ofcourse only scored and won against us. It’s not that they regressed out of tiredness, actually they became better as the season went.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if many Villa supporters are ready for the absolutely inevitable and fresh waves of hatred that will be coming our way from this point forward?

I think it will take some of us by surprise. But surely it's as predictable as gravity: Dominance = Envy = Hatred. Who are the most disliked Premier League clubs? ManU, Chelsea, and Liverpool, not Bournemouth, West Ham, or Palace lol. It's coming our way. Diminishment on social media, jibes at players, "who are Villa?" comments, awful comments, and sadly probably even a rise in things such as racist attacks from opposition etc.

I think there are some taken-for-granted "benefits" (and and disadvantages) in being mid-table, and I won't miss them, but I know I'm going to need to get some thicker skin. Even among mates who support other clubs I've for years heard all these patronising "Oh, and Villa did ... Ok ... this weekend," spoken to me as if I'd managed to learn how to read at age twenty and isn't that precious. I'm not hearing that patronising tone as much lol, but more little acid comments sometimes, too. Anyway, this is going to be an interesting adventure! 

Don't get me wrong. I'm ready. But still, I think it's going to be nasty at times. The stakes are getting higher and higher.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

We will not be so far under the radar in this coming season.....it will be tougher for that reason.

Teams will be well aware of our capabilities and set up accordingly.

I wouldn't like to predict a possible finish on the basis of too many variables.

21 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I wonder if many Villa supporters are ready for the absolutely inevitable and fresh waves of hatred that will be coming our way from this point forward?

I think it will take some of us by surprise. But surely it's as predictable as gravity: Dominance = Envy = Hatred. Who are the most disliked Premier League clubs? ManU, Chelsea, and Liverpool, not Bournemouth, West Ham, or Palace lol. It's coming our way. Diminishment on social media, jibes at players, "who are Villa?" comments, awful comments, and sadly probably even a rise in things such as racist attacks from opposition etc.

I think there are some taken-for-granted "benefits" (and and disadvantages) in being mid-table, and I won't miss them, but I know I'm going to need to get some thicker skin. Even among mates who support other clubs I've for years heard all these patronising "Oh, and Villa did ... Ok ... this weekend," spoken to me as if I'd managed to learn how to read at age twenty and isn't that precious. I'm not hearing that patronising tone as much lol, but more little acid comments sometimes, too. Anyway, this is going to be an interesting adventure! 

Don't get me wrong. I'm ready. But still, I think it's going to be nasty at times. The stakes are getting higher and higher.

your comments have merit....but what manifests it in the main, is over bearing arrogance.....even Man City fans, don't seem to be that arrogant, not like their neighbours, but I could be wrong.

Teams like Brighton and Brentford, generally act with humility.....as does our manager......no reason we can't.

Teams playing us next season will be motivated enough by our finish, we don't need to bait them or their fans, to motivate them even more.....I say, let our football do the talking, and us just back them to the hilt.....thats all we have to do.

The media can make all the predictions they want, its irrelevant, its what we do in matches that count.

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2023 at 12:21, tomsky_11 said:

Next season that top 4 will be ultra competitive. I think as many as 9 teams will be at least thinking they have a chance.

Man City obviously nailed on in their own group. Elite squad and manager. Sanctions for their rule breaking can't come soon enough.

After that you could make the case for any of the other "big 6" teams plus us, Brighton and Newcastle to get in there. Arsenal probably top this group because of this seasons' perfomance plus stability and quality in both management and squad.

Based on management alone I'd say it's hard to choose between the rest bar Spurs who don't have one yet. Emery, Klopp, Poch and Ten Haag have all shown their pedigree over a number of seasons while De Zerbi and Howe in recent years look like they are at a similar level. Spurs have the opportunity to get someone in of a similar calibre, if they get that right they are back in the equation.

From a squad perspective, I'd say all have their pros and cons, some more in either case than others, and there'll be a lot riding on who can retain or lean into the former, and solve the issues of the latter.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and maybe Spurs have arguably the highest numbers of established elite quality players, but all also have holes in their team that need fixing, some of these elite players aging, and some seemingly wanting out altogether. Spurs certainly have all these issues and could easily drop out of contention with a bad summer. The other three teams' issues are fewer and easier to fix.

For us and Newcastle I think it's how much we can get on par with these teams this summer. I think both teams already have certain players on par with the "big 6". Martinez and Pope are arguably as good or better than what any of those teams have in goal. Botman, Ramsey and Kamara are showing quality and a level of progression that are taking them to that level. Luiz, Guimaraes, Trippier, Moreno, Mings and Watkins could all improve what some of these teams have currently.

And I don't think Newcastle's new-found wealth puts them miles ahead of us in this regard given financial rules, and we are certainly in a good position to spend ourselves without falling foul of them. Both teams will be looking to do similar things in terms of number and level of player, though the focus on position and role won't always be the same. We'll be looking for right-backs, progressive and creative midfielders and forwards. They'll presumably be looking for left and centre backs and defensive mids, with maybe some crossover in attacking mid and forward areas. I think both teams could easily end the summer with first XIs much closer in quality to the "big 6".

Brighton probably have the biggest issues squad-wise in seemingly losing Caicedo and MacAllister. But these sales plus EL qualification will give them scope to do a lot in the summer. The question will be whether they can replace at a level to compete for CL, and/or how much further progress the prospects they can retain will make next season.

good/intersting post.

22 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Man City

Newcastle 

Arsenal

Man United

Possible that Chelsea or Liverpool could take one of the places but I expect Spurs will be Europe League at best. Can't see them getting top 4.

Managerial Masterpeice. — FIFA Forums

Newcastle 2nd? Am I missing something?

28 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Man City

Newcastle 

Arsenal

Man United

Possible that Chelsea or Liverpool could take one of the places but I expect Spurs will be Europe League at best. Can't see them getting top 4.

No way Newcastle will be top 2

Anyone hoping we will be in the top 4 next season is going to be sorely dissapointed. Newcastle only fluked it this year because a few teams normally there underperformed.

6th will be a success for us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Managerial Masterpeice. — FIFA Forums

Newcastle 2nd? Am I missing something?

Yes. The fact they are the richest club on the planet, can offer CL football, have already found a way to flout FFP amd will spend an absolute fortune.  

Newcastle will not be out of the top 4 as long as they are owned by the Saudis.

However, they weren't specific league placings, I was just saying which 4 I thought would qualify.

Edited by GlobalVillan

On 01/06/2023 at 10:15, lexicon said:

Except you can't do that in football anymore. The rules have changed a lot lately. 

You honestly believe that? 

Have you not seen Chelsea being bailed out by SA this week. They will cheat the rules for Newcastle to get them to succeed 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Our best chance of getting back into Europe next season is winning the Conference League IMO.

Absolutely. It does seem easier to win the the Carabao Cup, although you have to qualify in the first place so that's where the difficulty in winning it is. 

Now that we have qualified, we won't have a full strength Man City/Man United to worry about like we would if we reached the CC final.

It's 10 times easier to win the ECL than to finish 7th again.

As for top 4. Well, it's a shame Newcastle have been bought out as I really dont see whose place we could ever take to get top 4. Certainly not Newcastle or Man City. Finishing above Man U or Arsenal in the next few years seems so unlikely and even if we did, there's Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs.

Our best hope of CL is somehow winning the Europa League one day.

Edited by GlobalVillan

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You honestly believe that? 

Have you not seen Chelsea being bailed out by SA this week. They will cheat the rules for Newcastle to get them to succeed 

I think that the Saudis having an entire league to worry about is good from our perspective - the hope is that the bigger project will be their focus. 

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Man City

Newcastle 

Arsenal

Man United

Spurs have got as much chance as us of getting top 4 and that's probably being generous.

Â