Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Was looking for the ECL thread but it's locked. So next best option. 

Europe and Cups are areas we can still be positive about doing well in, and for me are the main focus and source of success this year. Top 4, after two massive injuries, are just... well it was a tall order anyway, if not impossible, but now very much unlikely. I still expect us to recover and be competitive, but league wise, top 10 and a cup win seems a more achievable measure of success. We'll still be among favourites for the ECL which provides a route to the EL, and the domestic cups, which don't get going for a little while will also be somewhere we can aim for success. 

I'm not writing off us having a good season in the league, but I think the more optimistic ambitions of where we might finish ought to be siginificantly curbed - for the time being. 

• Like 3

While there's no doubt the injuries have hurt us, I don't think we necessarily have to lower our expectations.

As I see it Emi B was likely a rotation option once Ramsey was back. So as long as we get a creative midfielder in we should be no weaker there.

Now obviously the Mings injury is a different story. The leader and rock of our defence and we're going to be without him for the season. However his replacement is one of the best defenders in Europe. So as long as someone takes up a leadership role back there (maybe Carlos?) again there's no reason why we should be any weaker there either.

No reason why we can't have a really good season, I'm still backing us to win a trophy and challenge for Europe 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

While there's no doubt the injuries have hurt us, I don't think we necessarily have to lower our expectations.

As I see it Emi B was likely a rotation option once Ramsey was back. So as long as we get a creative midfielder in we should be no weaker there.

Now obviously the Mings injury is a different story. The leader and rock of our defence and we're going to be without him for the season. However his replacement is one of the best defenders in Europe. So as long as someone takes up a leadership role back there (maybe Carlos?) again there's no reason why we should be any weaker there either.

No reason why we can't have a really good season, I'm still backing us to win a trophy and challenge for Europe 🙂

Needed to read some positivity - thank you!

• Thanks 1

I hadn't quite appreciated the extent of the last week. Our biggest loss for about ten months, and losing Buendia and Mings for the bulk of the season. One of those in isolation is bad but all 3 is pretty incredible. Lots of work to do from here, but as others have said Emery is very good at getting the best out of players and teams, and we have bought well, so fingers crossed we can push on and continue last seasons form from Everton onwards.

It may have been 41 years since we beat Bayern Munich in Rotterdam, but it's still in our blood. I've carefully considered whether I should revise my outlook for Villa this year, based on one very shitty week.

I've decided no thanks, not revising. If "realism" floats your boat, go enjoy yours.  I'm going to enjoy my belief that Villa will still finish in a CL spot this campaign. 

• Like 2

On 14/08/2023 at 15:38, IrishVilla10 said:

This was the case yeah, I have a friend who does football analytics and the main chat was we couldn’t sustain it over a longer period. My answer to that was we’ve signed better players etc and had longer with the manager. 

So 25ish games at 2pts a game wasn't long enough a period?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s in relation to expected points. We over performed by 12 points last season, more than anyone else. 

Weren't we going at top 2 or 3 pace under Emery last year though?

That's obviously not going to be sustainable this year.

I guess the question is if we revert to being consistent with expected points, how does that work out, top 6? 

36 minutes ago, andym said:

I guess the question is if we revert to being consistent with expected points, how does that work out, top 6? 

I’m honestly not sure how that works 

Some good results,

Newcastle, Utd and Chelsea all losing. Well the Newcastle one is tricky as it was against City, Utd lost a 6 pointer but still a loss is a loss. We’ve got our goal difference back to zero so that’s important. The good feeling factor is back as well. Now we have to restore our away form back. We’ve lost 3 of our last 4 and drew one at Anfield. Hopefully Arsenal fail to win today as well. 

Edited by abdulaziz1

Going to be an interesting battle for CL, a lot of teams in with a shout.

But all the talk of the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool having one bad year last season and they will be back; they both look extremely average so far, United as well.

I don't think we will be that far behind these teams.  

• Like 1

On 16/08/2023 at 22:51, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s in relation to expected points. We over performed by 12 points last season, more than anyone else. 

Expected points by who? Yeah, we went on an incredible run, but that was consistent with new management arriving. So expectation must be that this form continues to some extent. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Going to be an interesting battle for CL, a lot of teams in with a shout.

But all the talk of the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool having one bad year last season and they will be back; they both look extremely average so far, United as well.

I don't think we will be that far behind these teams.  

Chelsea could click on, my fear is mainly because of Poch. Hope they don’t. 
Liverpool have couple of days to sort DM, they could get Phillips, I guess getting him would get their balance right and thry’d be better than last season. If Salah left then not sure who they might get instead of him. Man Utd will depend on their movement in the next couple of days. To be honest I think the 5-1 is in our hands, teams will think we over achieved last seadon, we’re already working on improvements, Newcastle didn’t panic and go buy more good players. If it was the other way round we might think we’re already there and they’ll try and sort themselves quickly. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Expected points by who? Yeah, we went on an incredible run, but that was consistent with new management arriving. So expectation must be that this form continues to some extent. 

https://x.com/xgphilosophy/status/1439998349474664453?s=46&t=sTGvjtf6_DViKOnngWTX0w thread from 2021 but explains it. We overachieved the most in terms of expected points that’s all. 

On 16/08/2023 at 23:11, andym said:

How many points Newcastle United, Man United & Liverpool need to seal Champions League finish | NewcastleWorld

Here a quick link i found from google stating that the average over the last decade to get top four has been 71Pts.

Emery's points per game so far = 1.92 (my own math's)

1.92 points a game is 73pts.

Unia is on it!