Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I guess its possible it might come down to we need a point at Palace to be certain. I dont see Spurs beating Man City but they might scrape a draw. 

Posted (edited)

I'd give Burnley a decent chance of getting something at Spurs, given both teams' recent results. Burnley did get thrashed by Newcastle last weekend, but prior to that they'd only lost 1 in 7 and have managed draws away at both Chelsea & Man United in recent weeks. Burnley know that if they win on Saturday and Forest lose (and Burnley play first so could heap the pressure on their relegation rival) then they have the chance to play Forest at home on the final day knowing that a win keeps them in the Premier League. That's quite some incentive to get 3 points vs Tottenham.
As for Spurs, I think there's real pressure on Ange to stop the run of bad results and finish as high in the table as possible, no matter how much he says he doesn't care about Champions League qualification, only titles(!). And there's a lot of uncertainty about who should play at left back, and what the combinations in midfield and up front should be. The blueprint to stifle Angeball and hit them on the counter/from set pieces is well established at this point and I don't see why Kompany can't get Burnley to exploit those weaknesses in Spurs' system.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I'd give Burnley a decent chance of getting something at Spurs, given both teams' recent results. Burnley did get thrashed by Newcastle last weekend, but prior to that they'd only lost 1 in 7 and have managed draws away at both Chelsea & Man United in recent weeks. Burnley know that if they win on Saturday and Forest lose (and Burnley play first so could heap the pressure on their relegation rival) then they have the chance to play Forest at home on the final day knowing that a win keeps them in the Premier League. That's quite some incentive to get 3 points vs Tottenham.
As for Spurs, I think there's real pressure on Ange to stop the run of bad results and finish as high in the table as possible, no matter how much he says he doesn't care about Champions League, only titles(!). And there's a lot of uncertainty about who should play at left back, and what the combinations in midfield and up front should be. The blueprint to stifle Angeball and hit them on the counter/from set pieces is well established at this point and I don't see why Kompany can't get Burnley to exploit those weakness in Spurs' system.

The main thing is they may be focusing more on City, while think Burnley is in the bag, which would hopefully not help Spurs here.

• Like 2

We have 3 opportunities to qualify for Champions League before the last game of the season;

Saturday: Burnley to beat Spurs

Monday: Us to beat Liverpool

Tuesday: ManC to beat Spurs, in addition if Spurs drew against Burnley an other draw against ManC will see us in 4th spot.

In addition if we draw against Liverpool, we will qualify if Spurs don’t win both matches against Burnley and ManC.

I’m pretty confident we have qualified before we play Crystal Palace.

Most likely it will be Burnley that brings us over the line, the blueprint on how to beat Spurs is now well known, giving Burnley an excellent chance to get a vital result in their relegation battle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

We have 3 opportunities to qualify for Champions League before the last game of the season;

Saturday: Burnley to beat Spurs

Monday: Us to beat Liverpool

Tuesday: ManC to beat Spurs, in addition if Spurs drew against Burnley an other draw against ManC will see us in 4th spot.

In addition if we draw against Liverpool, we will qualify if Spurs don’t win both matches against Burnley and ManC.

I’m pretty confident we have qualified before we play Crystal Palace.

Most likely it will be Burnley that brings us over the line, the blueprint on how to beat Spurs is now well known, giving Burnley an excellent chance to get a vital result in their relegation battle.

We have 4 opportunities to qualify for Champions League before the last game of the season

We have 5 opportunities to qualify for Champions League before the last game of the season;

For those feeling unsure you can get 16/1 on Spurs to finish 4th to dull the pain should it happen, £50 would pay for next years season ticket 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, calcifer said:

Media at it again, they would love it if we finished 4th then got kicked out. ….. Its ok for other clubs to break rules mind.... No real quotes or proof except we posted losses of 119M....

Aston Villa face concerns over whether they can comply with UEFA's financial rules, putting their participation in Europe at risk

Will they every stop?

Yeah I saw this on sly sports and though it's typical of them to suggest it when we're nearly there......

• Like 1

Two smash and grab goals. Does it reflect the game? Probably not, what we do lack in the final third we can improve. There was more energy tonight. Just too much over hitting or under hitting it in the final third. 

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Two smash and grab goals. Does it reflect the game? Probably not, what we do lack in the final third we can improve. There was more energy tonight. Just too much over hitting or under hitting it in the final third. 

We lost 6-2. We were absolutely woeful across both legs. 

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

Yeah I saw this on sly sports and though it's typical of them to suggest it when we're nearly there......

We’ll it would be odd for them to suggest it back when we were no where near making it 😂

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We lost 6-2. We were absolutely woeful across both legs. 

Doesn’t reflect the game and you know it. That’s the nature of a knockout tournament.

• Like 2