Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Conversely dropping points from 2-0 up at home. Twice in our last 3 home games. Football is about the swings of the expected and unexpected 

Emery wouldn’t let you near the changing room  - “Only positive”. 🙂

8 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Most of the media online or on youtube are saying that Spurs are just seeing the season out as they have nothing to play for??

They need to be at their best to retain 5th.

Guys stop worrying about spurs should be all about villa still in our own hands simple lift , passion, intensity  and aggression we should have no problems. Hopefully get a few back this week.

1 minute ago, ozvilla28 said:

Guys stop worrying about spurs should be all about villa still in our own hands simple lift , passion, intensity  and aggression we should have no problems. Hopefully get a few back this week.

nice thought. unfortunately injuries have crippled the squad and the ones left are absolutely exhausted, not to mention the small matter of a tough semi final game in 3 days. the fact of the matter is that we need the help of teams like city because winning even just one of our last 2 games isn't going to be easy

• Like 3

Just heard on a podcast that we’ve played 53 games so far this season. By contrast, Spurs have played 37 games. Not sure if those numbers are accurate but it’s incredible with all our squad injuries that we’ve managed to maintain fourth place for the majority of the season. Truly impressive.

We’re going to be a very attractive proposition for potential incoming players if we secure a Champions League spot. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bakers29 said:

On paper, Spurs should get 6 points out of their last three games, giving us the 4th spot. 

On paper we should have beaten Brighton and be guaranteed 4th by now. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Spurs are likely to beat both Burnley and Sheffield United, but they have to avoid defeat against Manchester City next Tuesday, to have any hope of denying us 4th.

Even if we lose our last two, they would need a point against Manchester City and to make up the 9 goal difference advantage, that we have over them. Both of those are possible, but the first is less so. i really can't see them beating Citeh and I would be shocked if they even got a point.  Not long to go now until (we are Dick & Mutley by the way;)):

Dick Dastardly won the race by JacobDalton1 on DeviantArt

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't get that.

Basically saying they’ll suddenly become arguably the greatest team ever and will beat them after being dreadful for 4 games in a row.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Basically saying they’ll suddenly become arguably the greatest team ever and will beat them after being dreadful for 4 games in a row.

I thought it means they are all somber and sad looking. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Emery wouldn’t let you near the changing room  - “Only positive”. 🙂

I am 95% positive. Month long blip aside. 

2 hours ago, bakers29 said:

On paper, Spurs should get 6 points out of their last three games, giving us the 4th spot. 

On Paper we should get 3 points too 

Posted (edited)

The word IF is used 13 times on this page. That's 14 now. Lot of managing and coping with unknowns and hopes and fears and fiddly margins etc. It all feels like trying to pick up a puddle of water with one hand. Totally understand that.  I sort of don't get when people feel the need to regulate and have the last word about others' excesses of negativity or positivity instead of just letting people be their bleeping silly and gloriously complicated Villa-fan selves. I guess that's human nature, too? What a funny old time this is though. Seems like one of those watershed moments, where people will one day be like, "Do you remember in May of 2024 when Villa were still this close but not quite there yet???? Would be funny to re-read this thread next year. #UTV

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

I really don't want it to go to the last day. I just know that Palace game is going to go the way this Brighton one went. We'll be gassed, and overwhelmed by the atmosphere at Selhurst Park as we always are. My heart won't be able to take the inevitable goal that goes in at the home end, with the fans bouncing etc. Then looking over to Spurs and seeing they're up 4-0 on Sheffield United. Please no 😭

Would swear Crystal Palace with the 15th best home record in the league were Real Madrid with some of the responses. If we have to worry about going to Palace then can imagine the fear when actual big boys Bayern or PSG come come to town

• Like 2

Reading through the last pages seems all about if we don't win another game before the end of the season. I think if we need to, we would beat Palace. We would just throw everything at them, not needing to conserve ourselves for another game, there season will already be over, so they won't wanna go in hard and risk injuries, holidays will already be booked.

It won't take that though, as I just cannot see Tottenham beating City. I don't think they are even bothered about 4th place, listening to. 'big Ange', as he wants to keep his job, an with CL next season, he will be seriously under pressure. Don't lose sight of Burnley being the one to watch for Tottenham though, last chance saloon for them, they will be fighting for there status, an I wouldn't fancy that game at the moment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would swear Crystal Palace with the 15th best home record in the league were Real Madrid with some of the responses. If we have to worry about going to Palace then can imagine the fear when actual big boys Bayern or PSG come come to town

How much of that is under Hodgson and without Eze and Olise who they are have been without for large periods of the season? Much better side with those fit and their new manager as I’m sure they will show tonight.