Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

If we beat Brighton, even if Spurs draw with Liverpool they'd have to win their last 3 matches and do so with around +6 GD even if we lost our last 3.

• Thanks 1

Fact is that we're almost certain to get 4th, but the players are playing as if it is still very uncertain, and Emery is having to try and balance the fitness of multiple players for that outcome too.

Showing how hard it is to sustain a cup run and a domestic challenge all at once.

Hopefully we can put in another Arsenal style performance and get it done.  I think if we win Sunday it's over, I don't see Spurs winning 3 and drawing 1 whilst overturning the GD.  

We don't tend to have big runs of bad games so we should be able to put at least one good performance in before the end of the season. 

• Like 2

I will feel a lot better about this week if we all but secure UCL on Sunday.

I want us to go all the way in the ECL of course, but after yesterday, I'd love for Villa to pretty much cement 4th place this weekend.  

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

If we beat Brighton, even if Spurs draw with Liverpool they'd have to win their last 3 matches and do so with around +6 GD even if we lost our last 3.

They have to play Sheffield United who are not adverse to shipping 4 or 5 goals in a match.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually think the players could do with a game away from Villa Park. They seem to be struggling a little with the pressure and expectancy from fans to win the game. That mixed in with fatigue and players seem anxious.  Massive contrast to how well they played with the ball against Arsenal.

Interested to see how they get on against Brighton. 

edit: 6 game form table backs this up. 11th at home and 3rd away. 

Yeah I’ve said before I’m not sure how much this welcoming the team bus with thousands of fans and flares is actually helping them. I think it’s adding to the pressure. I’m sure the club like it though - all those extra pounds being spent with fans getting there early. That might be the sceptic in me though.

Edited by WallisFrizz
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I will feel a lot better about this week if we all but secure UCL on Sunday.

I want us to go all the way in the ECL of course, but after yesterday, I'd love for Villa to pretty much cement 4th place this weekend.  

It would be a nice ‘consultation’

13 hours ago, Farlz said:

1 year of Champions League isn’t going to kick us onto anything. 

If we start becoming regulars in the top 4 over the coming years fair enough but I find that highly unlikely. 

Counterpoint: Tottenham Hotspur.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tayls said:

With spurs having lost 3 in a row (is it?) the likelihood of them losing 4 is quite low - so I’m going to assume they will pick up at least a point this weekend against Liverpool. Then they play Burnley, so we should expect a win for Spurs, followed by City and then Sheff Utd - where a minimum of 3 points is expected. So I make that 67 at least - all we have to do then is hope they fail to pull off a victory against Liverpool and/or City. 

In that scenario they'd still finish below us if they beat Burnley by a goal and Sheffield United by three goals. Leaves them with a GD of best case of -16 so we could actually get away with losing two of the games by a two goal margin.

If they don't beat Liverpool they've got a very remote chance of finishing above us regardless of what we do at Brighton.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually think the players could do with a game away from Villa Park. They seem to be struggling a little with the pressure and expectancy from fans to win the game. That mixed in with fatigue and players seem anxious.  Massive contrast to how well they played with the ball against Arsenal.

Interested to see how they get on against Brighton. 

edit: 6 game form table backs this up. 11th at home and 3rd away. 

Remember when everyone was rubbishing our away form in the Autumn/Winter period on here.

8 wins with still Brighton and Palace to come is a very good return and not far off what the title chasers have done.

I said in September when we won 1-0 at Chelsea that would be a very good result as the season went on. Since then Chelsea have beaten all of Newcastle, Brighton, Man. United and Spurs at home.

People were quick to jump on us when Newcastle and Liverpool were turning us over in the early part but again I said let's wait and see what Spurs do when they go to these venues. 4-0 at Newcastle and Liverpool could easily stick 3-4 past them aswell.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

You think that us beating Liverpool at Villa Park is so unbelievable that the mere suggestion of it requires a lie down?

Really?

Yeah we are just hopeless when it comes to playing them and United, but im sorta playing reverse physiologically with myself hoping it works so half ignore mate 😂 

9 hours ago, omariqy said:

Van Dijk likely out for the game 

Thats a pity, one of Liverpool biggest problems recently

5 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

They have to play Sheffield United who are not adverse to shipping 4 or 5 goals in a match.

They also play Man City who are not adverse for scoring 4 or 5

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Yeah we are just hopeless when it comes to playing them and United, but im sorta playing reverse physiologically with myself hoping it works so half ignore mate 😂 

Pretty sure our record against Liverpool is better than other scum 6 teams. 

We will see where we are at after this weekend. Brighton are missing plenty but so are we. If Martinez and Tielemans make it then I'm very confident. If not then it's a coin toss. Tbh maybe a point is enough at this stage.

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure our record against Liverpool is better than other scum 6 teams. 

We've lost plenty but most of them have actually been fairly tight that they've won late on.

One thing's for sure though we can't be playing Lenglet against them as his lack of pace will be brutally exposed against their forwards.

Brighton dealing with a lot of injuries. Winless in last 5 games. Nothing to play for either. This will be the least difficult game left. Have to take all three points.