Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

7 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

For all the stuff on here about collapsing just look how close we were to the title?

Had we held on in the two games against Man Utd we would be sitting on 69 points tonight, 2 behind Arsenal and Liverpool.

What a season. UTV

Football doesn't really work like that. However, with 6 games to go, we are not technically out of the race for the title. Which is brilliant and bizarre!

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Absolutely nothing to fear now

Exactly this. Despite all the injuries and suspensions, we have five league cup finals and hopefully several more European outings before the end of the season.

Major confidence and belief going into the final run in. What a time to push on and show everyone how good we are. 

• Like 1

Man U can get maximum 68 points if they win all remaining 6 games which they won't

We're just 5 points off that

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So Spurs have:

Arsenal (h)

Chelsea (a)

Liverpool (a)

Burnley (h)

Man City (h)

Sheff Utd (a)

Very difficult to predict but I would say they’re likely to get a LWLWLW out of that, so probably 9 points… but by no means any certainty about that, just based on what I think is likely. 

whereas we have:

Bournemouth (h)

Chelsea (h)

Brighton (a)

Liverpool (h)

Palace (a)

With three home games, and going away to Brighton I think we’ll get something like: WDWLW then we’d be on 70pts.

But even if we only win our home games then that’ll be enough to be 3 points ahead of Spurs. BUT then even if we only win against Bournemouth and Palace we’d just need to sneak a draw somewhere else (or rely on goal difference).

Edited by alreadyexists
Updated h and a

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

So Spurs have:

Arsenal (h)

Chelsea (a)

Liverpool (a)

Burnley (h)

Man City (h)

Sheff Utd (a)

Very difficult to predict but I would say they’re likely to get a LWLWLW out of that, so probably 9 points… but by no means any certainty about that, just based on what I think is likely. 

whereas we have:

Bournemouth (h)

Chelsea (h)

Brighton (a)

Liverpool (a)

Palace (h)

With three home games, and going away to Brighton I think we’ll get something like: WDWLW then we’d be on 70pts.

But even if we only win our home games then that’ll be enough to be 3 points ahead of Spurs. BUT then even if we only win against Bournemouth and Palace we’d just need to sneak a draw somewhere else.

Liverpool aside could we be playing all of these teams where they have nothing left to play for? I get that doesn’t always work in a teams favour as the pressure is off but it’s an interesting one compared to Spurs who seem to playing teams with everything to play for. (Apart from Sheffield United and Chelsea).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

whereas we have:

Bournemouth (h)

Chelsea (h)

Brighton (a)

Liverpool (a)

Palace (h)

Our game against Liverpool is at Villa Park and the Palace game is away.

I don’t think it’s a ridiculous notion that Liverpool might not have anything to play for by the time they meet us. The same could be said for Man City* when they play Spurs. 

*Edit having already “won” the title, to be clear.

If Liverpool are out of the title race, they may have their eyes on the big Klopp cheerio party the following week at Anfield.

I don’t know, suddenly I feel like the chance of winning that game has increased.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Our game against Liverpool is at Villa Park and the Palace game is away.

I don’t think it’s a ridiculous notion that Liverpool might not have anything to play for by the time they meet us. The same could be said for Man City* when they play Spurs. 

*Edit having already “won” the title, to be clear.

If Liverpool are out of the title race, they may have their eyes on the big Klopp cheerio party the following week at Anfield.

I don’t know, suddenly I feel like the chance of winning that game has increased.

We were always capable of beating Liverpool at home and nothing has changed in that regard. The only forgone conclusion every season is Cheats115 away.

Other than that we can beat anyone. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We were always capable of beating Liverpool at home and nothing has changed in that regard. The only forgone conclusion every season is Cheats115 away.

Other than that we can beat anyone. 

Yeah, but I think the chance has maybe slightly increased following their recent mini dismal run. 

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs-Chelsea got cancelled when the league cup final was on. We also played the weekend when FA cup QFs were on.

Spurs actually have a 15 day break now. Kind of feel that will be an issue for them as you'd want to get that defeat yesterday out of their system as soon as possible.

We have a chance now to be 9 points clear of them by winning our next two home games. I really couldn't see them reeling us in from that far back even if they would have games in hand.

Even more significant is that if we are 9 points clear, even then winning all 3 of their games in hand they'd probably still be behind us. So we'd have points on the board as well as it still being in our hands. That's a massive demotivator for them. 

I guess maybe you could argue they'd bottle it if it was in their hands (as we both seem to be managing to throw away the advantage almost as soon as we get it), but if we beat Chelsea and Bournmeoth it is definitely ours.

However, I can see winning both of those would be hugely tricky. Bournemouth will be our 4th game in 11 days, and Luiz will still be suspended. Chelsea are an enigma of a side that could be exceptional if they all turn up,  and with the chance of them overtaking United and making Europe I think they'll be in it for the rest of the season.

Going to be tough, but if anyone can do it, it's Emery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Football doesn't really work like that. However, with 6 games to go, we are not technically out of the race for the title. Which is brilliant and bizarre!

I'm hoping for a Homer at the Bat style end to City's season since that's more likely that the FA dealing with their 115 charges.

Grealish going to prison for all the unsolved crimes in Birmingham. DeBruyne visiting the Manchester Mystery Spot and is never seen again. 😌

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

So Spurs have:

Arsenal (h)

Chelsea (a)

Liverpool (a)

Burnley (h)

Man City (h)

Sheff Utd (a)

whereas we have:

Bournemouth (h)

Chelsea (h)

Brighton (a)

Liverpool (a)

Palace (h)

But even if we only win our home games then that’ll be enough to be 3 points ahead of Spurs. BUT then even if we only win against Bournemouth and Palace we’d just need to sneak a draw somewhere else (or rely on goal difference).

Timing too, spurs play 28th April, we have 2 games before then

Big if but if we win both games that's a 9 point gap, all kinds of pressure on them going in to a 3 game run of arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool 

Conversely I think if spurs come out of that 3 game run with 9 points they'll be flying and mentally on it but that's an even bigger if than ours 

I don't think City will ease up at all. Every player will want a European cup final place and apart from about 4 or 5 positions the rest are up for grabs.

4 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Why arent Spurs playing next week? Seems really odd at this stage of the season. 

FA Cup semi final, I think they were due to play City.  It would've been nice if all the teams in Europe could have had the weekend off too but if we win I'd be glad to have the points on the board rather than the games in hand.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Why arent Spurs playing next week? Seems really odd at this stage of the season. 

Yea it’s annoying because they essentially get a break. We just need to win and make it so that they HAVE to as well. If we win the next two we could be 9 points above them by the time they play again. 

Edited by Tayls