Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I am well aware. You can play well and lose. 

We didnt play well. We wasted chance after chance. That's not playing well. We played well against Sheffield United because we created and took our chances. Tonight we didnt.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It honestly does feel as if certain fans are almost willing us to have a collapse. Some seem to be absolutely revelling in it. Bit pathetic really.

@Spoony is right - we played well and psychologically Man United have a unique edge over us. If we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be fine. I was worried we'd see a repeat of the Newcastle/Chelsea performance but we didn't.

Unfortunately this is the mentality of those who are used to supporting a side that loses regularly. You don’t play well and lose. if you lose, it’s because you haven’t done something right as a team. Do you think Messi or Ronaldo are happy when their sides ever lose a game? You can damn well bet that they are grumpy as hell. They certainly don’t come out with “oh it’s ok we had better possession and passed the ball around a lot more so we’ll win loads of games…” 

We were shite! Demand better! 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Christ you know what I think I am actually done with this forum. It is incredibly toxic in its negativity and makes being a Villa fan less enjoyable. 

Please don’t go. Take a break for sure. I am really angry how some posters are revelling in this defeat right now. It’s honestly embarrassing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Definite improvement today despite the absolute sickener of a result.

We've blown a great lead which is gutting, but our form is climbing and we have Pau and Digne returning, and Ramsey looking better.

There's still a race that we're in, it's just now a 100m sprint to May rather than a marathon that we were cruising comfortably in.

We now have Fulham, Forest and Luton. Has to be nine points.

Typically Fulham seem to be finding some form now as well

When we look back, we'll remember, the first was the 3-2 loss from 2-0 up, knew that was a blow and it put us in poor form. Then their win today was the nail in coffin. We'll look back in May and see it all unraveled from those games.

**** footballl

I remember when first promoted I was really surprised at the 2-2 at OT as I was used to a lifetime of being battered by them. Now we are absolutely gutted we have lost as we really should be beating them. Play like that and we will get results against enough of the league that should see us get Europe again.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

When we look back, we'll remember, the first was the 3-2 loss from 2-0 up, knew that was a blow and it put us in poor form. Then their win today was the nail in coffin. We'll look back in May and see it all unraveled from those games.

**** footballl

Lmao. Like seriously, this is genuinely hilarious stuff.

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Unfortunately this is the mentality of those who are used to supporting a side that loses regularly. You don’t play well and lose. if you lose, it’s because you haven’t done something right as a team. Do you think Messi or Ronaldo are happy when their sides ever lose a game? You can damn well bet that they are grumpy as hell. They certainly don’t come out with “oh it’s ok we had better possession and passed the ball around a lot more so we’ll win loads of games…” 

You're talking about two fundamentally different things here.

Nobody is suggesting that anyone should be happy with losing. However, we did play well (and the idea that you can't play well and lose is categorically false). Even if you deny that, at least accept that it was a huge improvement performance-wise compared to the Chelsea and Newcastle games.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Has that been Newcastle's experience?

You could say Newcastle have been unlucky with injuries this season, and I'd agree with that, but qualifying for the Champions League did not suddenly magic a new squad into existence. They spent a good chunk of money on Sandro Tonali, Harvey Barnes and Tino Livramento. It's hardly transformational. 

This is the point that @LondonLax has been making, people are expecting too much to change from CL qualification. 

Ok let's not bother qualifying because of Newcastle's experience. Never mind all the sky 6 experience as a collective over 20 odd years. 

Really? 

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Christ you know what I think I am actually done with this forum. It is incredibly toxic in its negativity and makes being a Villa fan less enjoyable. 

I’m taking a break from it mate, I’m better for it. I would advise you do the same as I think you’re valued around here and to see you go completely would make the site a worse place.

It happened under Gregory, MON and now Emery. Fans aren't being negative, just realistic, our ceiling is and always will be 6th at best. I'd even go so far as to say we won't play in the Champions League in my lifetime, we haven't done for 41 years and counting so I'm pretty confident in saying that. It's always half a good season with this club, we always fall away in the second half of the season, it's in our DNA.

To be honest we aren't going to win any more matches with regularity the longer Pau and Digne are left out of the starting lineup. When they played earlier in the season we won virtually every week and looked a lot more solid defensively, people want to be in denial about the defence but they cost us the game today. They barely had anything to do in the second half as it was all us and then give away a shite goal right at the end by not marking Scott bloody McTominay. Pau didn't even come on today so I don't know what is going on there, but our record without him is a shambles. If he doesn't start at Fulham we'll once again either lose or draw. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Callum said:

Too much pressure for these boys. 6th and guaranteed Europa is our level and what we should be focusing on. This is not a champions league team right now, I don’t care. We need to time to build. 

It's going to be even harder to build if we don't get it this season. Chelsea and Utd won't be poor forever, Newcastle will get stronger (if FFP allows it). Europa League won't keep the likes of Martinez & Dougie around either, we can keep them all and build if we get CL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We'll need it to go to 5th 

Irrelevant tbh. Man United have momentum and have players who can step up when it matters. Our lot don’t have the bottle. 

(and im not revelling in that - up until tonight I thought we’d easily make it)

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I suggest you go and look at the stats and highlights of the match 

You're always trying to bang this drum.

We actually did play well, fine margins, multiple times we were centimetres away from a touch and goal.

I'll bet you you will even find Man U fans who believe we played well and that they had some luck.

Even the commentators carry the same sentiment.

It's also possible to play shit and win a game... Or if you play shit but win... Does it automatically make it a good performance? 🤦🏿‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

**** footballl

I’d say the draw against Sheff Utd when we failed to get top spot when all eyes were on us. The invincibility of Villa Park went. It was a small dent . 

The pressure of qualifying for CL is too much for this group of players. 

Don Unai will slowly add his level of players who have the mentality to play in CL and we’ll get there. 

We need Pau or Mings back . The run in is where the big prizes are handed out.

• Like 2