Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Having Pau, Kamara, Tielmans back, plus a JJ coming into form, and Diaby/Zaniolo getting to their best would be almost akin to " new signings " for the second half of the season. Easy to forget in our recent " tough " period we've pretty much been without all of them!

Ahh yes, the classic 'hope is round the corner when the cavalry arrives' narrative. However, we can't forget, they all have to play themselves back into fitness, form and not alter the shape of the team, such as it currently is. We look to be running out of steam. I hope you are right!

I don’t feel like we’ve ever had much chance of being in the top 4 at the end of the season. We’ve been propped up by our insane home record. I think our performances away aren’t quite enough. Teams like Chelsea / United and Newcastle will continue to grind out results and really put the pressure on us 

Beforehand I wouldn't have been too disappointed with a draw, but given the way Everton played, that is they were very poor, I think we should have been good enough to take advantage of that, on another day we might have won comfortably.

Just our luck that all our attackers aren't in great goalscoring form all at the same time, just one in his last eight for Watkins, one in his last eleven for Diaby, and one in the last six for Bailey.

To be fair we haven't been struggling to score as a team, but we really need our attackers on form as that's what will make the difference in games like today.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Fact is top 4 teams don't make such heavy weather against bottom 6 teams. Especially against the likes of effing Sheffield one of the worst teams the division has ever seen

City scored literally in 88th minute to beat Sheff Utd to win their game.

Liverpool rescued a draw in the 95th minute against Luton

• Like 1

A reminder.

Wolves 1-1 Newcastle

Newcastle 0-0 Crystal Palace

Newcastle 1-1 Bournemouth 

Newcastle 0-0 Leeds

Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle 

Newcastle 1-1 West Ham

Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle 

Leeds 2-2 Newcastle 

Newcastle 0-0 Leicester 

Newcastle finished fourth last season despite recording all these results.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, grobs said:

I don’t feel like we’ve ever had much chance of being in the top 4 at the end of the season. We’ve been propped up by our insane home record. I think our performances away aren’t quite enough. Teams like Chelsea / United and Newcastle will continue to grind out results and really put the pressure on us 

We have the 7th best away record in the league bettet than United and Chelsea

Newcastle have the second worst away record in the league

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

City scored literally in 88th minute to beat Sheff Utd to win their game.

Liverpool rescued a draw in the 95th minute against Luton

Yeah, we had to similar to get a point Vs Sheffield, not to win. There will be maybe one example of a top 4 team dropping a bollock vs one of the bottom feeders over 10-12 fixtures, not 4 or 5.

12 minutes ago, grobs said:

I don’t understand this at all based on results/stats.  Yes when you talk about the four teams around us but not the three teams you mention, we have better records than them

10 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Draws and the odd win are fine away as long as we keep winning at home. 

Exactly, Newcastle drew 14 times last season, their him record was superb. They got top 4 with 19 wins. If we get 20 wins we’re in with a shout, we have 13 so far.

We’ve not been at our best recently but there’s still a lot of football to be played. Teams come in and out of form. We’re in a battle for fourth that may well go to the last game, we can just shit the bed every time we drop points. We’ve spent time in second and we’ll probably spend some time in sixth, it’s where we are at the end that counts (obvs). I back Emery to get us firing again and maintain his 2ppg record.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah, we had to similar to get a point Vs Sheffield, not to win. There will be maybe one example of a top 4 team dropping a bollock vs one of the bottom feeders over 10-12 fixtures, not 4 or 5.

Yet we are still joint second

If we were losing these close games I’d be worried. But being able to get points off these scrappy teams to me shows improvement and is a positive during a clear dip in performance. Still remaining upbeat about everything.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, grobs said:

Teams like Newcastle will continue to grind out results? We've lost one game since November. They've lost most of their matches since November. 

• Like 1

Spurs will probably finish above us which is a shame because I think we overall have a slightly better team than them and a better manager. But I think they have experience of finishing top 4 and we don’t and we have bottled this position before so think we have a mentality issue. Our form has really failed off and so many players are not performing to the level they can.

We should be finishing no lower than 5th, we really cannot be allowing the likes of West Ham, Man Utd, Brighton, Newcastle or Chelsea to catch us, that would be shameful, and I think we should stay top 5. Hopefully that will be enough for Champions League.

Of course id much rather just finish top 4 to be sure, but I just don’t see it. Might change my mind if we batter Newcastle in a couple of weeks and look like a top 4 team again.

Top 4 will be an achievement, and a very good one.  The team looks tired. To a degree the opposition has managed to counteract our attacking play. I think Spurs will close us down in the next 6 weeks or so.