Marco Asensio

wishywashy

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Get the claret tinted glasses off mate. Birmingham is not nicer than Liverpool or Manchester, sorry 😅 I love it and all, but it's just not.

It’s no worse than either of those Cities.

They all have plus points but I wouldn’t describe any of the three as ‘nice’ though. 

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Been Manchester, shit hole. Not been Liverpool yet but will be going in June for the British Junior Dodgeball championships, I've heard it's a shit hole though. 

I was born and bred in Birmingham and while parts of it (small heath) should be nuked, the majority if it is ok. 

If I was a footballer I would deffo choose Birmingham.

There are parts which yeah like any City are a bit run-down...

Yet equally nice parts too around Solihull, Warwick Road, Shirley, Bournville, Sutton Coldfield etc...

Then places on the outskirts are lovely such as Stratford upon Avon, players may live near Bodymoor anyway, which is very nice.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It’s no worse than either of those Cities.

They all have plus points but I wouldn’t describe any of the three as ‘nice’ though. 

I like Manchester and though it's hard to stomach saying it, think it's a very nice place now.

Liverpool is tolerable, has enough history going for it to make it interesting, especially for someone of Irish extraction.

Birmingham...... mate there ain't nowt to do in Birmingham. When a football stadium out in Aston, a central library, and a shopping centre are your three best features, red flags start a-waving.

I've brought so many mates (neutrals and sympathetic fans of other clubs) to Birmingham to see games in an attempt to convert / evangelize... They all agreed Villa Park is the best thing about the wider area and there's **** all else to do / see / visit for.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

mate there ain't nowt to do in Birmingham. When a football stadium out in Aston, a central library, and a shopping centre are your three best features,

Reason enough.....

The birthplace of the football league.

What's Paris got? A cheap rip-off of Blackpool Tower and a dirty river.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I like Manchester and though it's hard to stomach saying it, think it's a very nice place now.

Liverpool is tolerable, has enough history going for it to make it interesting, especially for someone of Irish extraction.

Birmingham...... mate there ain't nowt to do in Birmingham. When a football stadium out in Aston, a central library, and a shopping centre are your three best features, red flags start a-waving.

I've brought so many mates (neutrals and sympathetic fans of other clubs) to Birmingham to see games in an attempt to convert / evangelize... They all agreed Villa Park is the best thing about the wider area and there's **** all else to do / see / visit for.

Got to agree with this. Manchester is pretty cool and fun now although I hate to admit it. They’ve invested so well. Ive always loved Liverpool - I grew up in the north west and that was the night out of choice, the people are friendly and fun and I would certainly never call it a shit hole.

Birmingham is an odd one. I’m sure it’s got it’s places like anywhere else but for an outsider it’s difficult to navigate and “sell” to others, and I don’t find it very friendly to non-Brummies

• Like 1

Ever been to Dortmund? No? Don’t worry you’re not missing much, but they seem to do ok attracting talent.

Thing is, forget the city itself, I don’t think players don’t care that much anymore. Unless it’s London which seems to have its own draw - perhaps because it’s so big and there’s so much going on, you can be fairly anonymous in amongst it all.

I think these days though, as long as the club has an area close by which is fairly affluent and pretty looking, where they can buy a nice big house and live it up with the family and kids, then they’re happy.

Look at Emi Martinez for example, he’s not going large in the city like Big John Carew used to, he’s got the South American contingent round at his having BBQs instead. 

Changes in social culture and added professionalism have removed the need for ‘big city lights’ to an extent, not to mention the want for privacy in a world governed by social media. 

• Like 3

Dunno why people are discussing the relative merits of Birmingham. I would hazard a guess and say they only go there once a week on a Saturday afternoon. They train in Bodymoor Heath, which is closest to Sutton Coldfield, and closer to Tamworth than Brum, and most Villa players live in Little Aston. 

If you offered me a house in Little Aston, I may well take you up on it. I wouldn't be saying, for instance, 'nah, shithole this, get me somewhere in Liverpool'.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Ever been to Dortmund? No? Don’t worry you’re not missing much, but they seem to do ok attracting talent.

Thing is, forget the city itself, I don’t think players don’t care that much anymore. Unless it’s London which seems to have its own draw - perhaps because it’s so big and there’s so much going on, you can be fairly anonymous in amongst it all.

I think these days though, as long as the club has an area close by which is fairly affluent and pretty looking, where they can buy a nice big house and live it up with the family and kids, then they’re happy.

Look at Emi Martinez for example, he’s not going large in the city like Big John Carew used to, he’s got the South American contingent round at his having BBQs instead. 

Changes in social culture and added professionalism have removed the need for ‘big city lights’ to an extent, not to mention the want for privacy in a world governed by social media. 

Agree with this, although you do have to factor in the families. It’s much easier to be foreign, rich and famous in London than Burnley. I think we can definitely attract foreign superstars, but some of them just won’t fancy it… need to have a certain outlook on life and their career to go through with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Dunno why people are discussing the relative merits of Birmingham. I would hazard a guess and say they only go there once a week on a Saturday afternoon. They train in Bodymoor Heath, which is closest to Sutton Coldfield, and closer to Tamworth than Brum, and most Villa players live in Little Aston. 

If you offered me a house in Little Aston, I may well take you up on it. I wouldn't be saying, for instance, 'nah, shithole this, get me somewhere in Liverpool'.

Depends on player and where they are in terms of families...a few of previous squad used to live in City centre. Think Guzan had an apartment in the Mailbox and was walking down the canal in Brindley Place once and Carew just walked past me so no surprise he wanted to be near the action of Broad Street.

If you're taken there's loads of decent areas in Warwickshire or Staffs where you can be at Bodymoor in 20 minutes.

Back on Asensio, would he actually take Bailey's place in the line up? Madrid usually have now Rodrygo as third attacker so assume he's more of an impact sub for them hence wanting to move on.

I hate the way this is all out in the press.

We know it's not coming from us, and that worries me.

Why is his agent leaking this? What reason can there be other than to invite other offers?

I'd like it wrapped up quickly if we are going for it. I'm sure the club do as well. He's not a good enough player to be chasing all summer and upping our offer over and over.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I hate the way this is all out in the press.

We know it's not coming from us, and that worries me.

Why is his agent leaking this? What reason can there be other than to invite other offers?

I'd like it wrapped up quickly if we are going for it. I'm sure the club do as well. He's not a good enough player to be chasing all summer and upping our offer over and over.

Way of the world when your profile begins to rise.

Gone are the days of dealing in silence, methinks. 

• Sad 1

Just now, OhioVilla said:

Way of the world when your profile begins to rise.

Gone are the days of dealing in silence, methinks. 

I think it'd a side effect of dealing in Spain as well.

• Like 1

Maily Dail are now running with this story, albeit the article  could have been  written by anyone on this forum  for all the  insight it contains.

Here

They do however refer to us targeting this as a marquee signing, which I am taking as a coded reference meaning "it's  happening lads, pitch your tents".

Edited by one_ian_taylor
  • Thanks 1

Â