Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

14 hours ago, Genie said:

Why would we specifically want a left footed right winger? A right footed right winger is generally considered a more balanced player.

Inverted wingers have been a thing for at least a decade... longer

Edited by Kiwivillan

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Probably longer, Messi was playing on the right when he was a teenager, and Robben as well round that time.

Does the position Bailey plays has to be left footed?  Watching Bailey play there last season, his best assist has been when he stayed on his right and got a cross, I think we've scored a few goals like that last season.  Maybe a right footed proper winger playing there would get less goals but more assist, as we have planety of runners coming into the box for tap ins.

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yeah I get that, but I’d have thought we’d be shopping for “a good winger”. If he’s left or right footed then it doesn’t matter as long as he has end product. 

I get there’s lots of examples of inverted wingers but then there’s lots of “standard” wingers too.

On 13/06/2023 at 14:30, duke313 said:

Leicester fans seemingly think they will get £50m+ for him? He's not going to cost that much surely? I'd have thought relegation would have halved his fee?

Leicester fans are idiots. Of course they aren’t going to get 50m for him. They have just been relegated with one of the highest wage bills (outside sky 6) in the premier league. They aren’t in a position to make silly demands for players. 

10 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

For me max price is 40 + 5 mill addons. 

Don't think Leicester being in the championship can demand anymore than that. He'll want to leave so they are in a weak bargaining position. 

I wouldn't pay more than 25m and even then, I'd much rather we signed someone who will fit our system better than he probably will. 

I'm not against this signing at all. He is a very good player, still young.

If anything, it's a bit of a similar signing Leicester made with a certain Mr Albrighton. That's worked out well for them and him. 

Hope we can get him, as long as it's a reasonable fee. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Yeah I get that, but I’d have thought we’d be shopping for “a good winger”. If he’s left or right footed then it doesn’t matter as long as he has end product. 

I get there’s lots of examples of inverted wingers but then there’s lots of “standard” wingers too.

The purpose of an inverted winger is to create overloads in the middle. This has two effects one you out number the opposition in the middle infront of their penalty area, the second is it creates space on the flank for the overlapping fullback. 

On the left we do this to great effect With Ramsey and Moreno. However on the right the fullback is more conservative, so a right winger that's happy to go down the line and hit the byline actually makes sense, however if they are happy to go inside as well as hug the line then that would be better. 

Williams for example is right footed with a strong left foot (practically two footed). Torres is right footed with a good left foot. 

Bailey is happy to go either side too. His right foot crossing is fairly decent, but his left foot is lovely.  

Barnes doesn't really fit this profile. He is also poor with his passing and interplay. He doesn't make much sense for either of our flanks.

• Like 2

Barnes was only linked by speculative media links. Would we be interested? Sure, we cast a wide net. Would be in for a deal? Probably not. He’s not the fit we need and lacks the qualities Unai wants in a winger. He’s going probably going to West Ham for £25-30m once the Rice deal is done. 

Barnes was excellent when he played for the Baggies and has got into double-figures for the last three seasons in the Premier League (13,11, and 13).

He would be ideal for a team which likes to defend and attack on the break.

His assist figures are poor for a winger (3 last term) and so he very much likes to cut-in and shoot, rather than create for others.

I am not sure he suits Villa's needs, given Emery's style of play, but I am sure he would suit a lot of clubs.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

I wouldn't pay more than 20m.

I expect Leicester will believe Barnes adds more value than £20m in their attempt to return to riches of the Premier League. Unless Barnes refuses to play in the Championship, I'd be very surprised if they accept less than £30m.

To be honest I don't think that bid is actually as ridiculous as it first seems, Leicester aren't gonig to get much over thirty million for Barnes, and Maddison is in the last year of his contract, he's not a player that's going to be worth fifty million plus when he only has one year left. If both leaving Leiceter, I wouldn't be surprised if it's only around sixty million that they get for the duo.

Â