Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

Don’t think he’s got the technical ability for what we want tbh. This is all extremely speculative still. He's too one dimensional for our system, and only scored 34 league goals in 145 games, and is prone for giving away fouls. For the potential prices I just don't see him being a target for us regardless of their league status. He's a talented player for sure but not what we need. 

Non-starter for me at this point. We don't leak transfer targets unless we want to do so and the deal is done. 

I’m not massively excited by Harvey Barnes but he is a decent player who I’m sure would improve us. If Emery wants him and thinks he’s what we need to get to the next level, or more ‘part’ of what we need, then that’s fine by me. I’d still hope we can bring in a Williams or Kang-In. 

He scores way more goals cutting inside on his right foot, he’s not a natural left winger. He’s 25 and only gone into double figures this season, the highest previous was 9 goals. But averaged around 6 goals and various assists. We will have higher targets for sure. We’ve got enough wingers who blow hot and cold as is. 

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Don’t think he’s got the technical ability for what we want tbh. This is all extremely speculative still. He's too one dimensional for our system, and only scored 34 league goals in 145 games, and is prone for giving away fouls. For the potential prices I just don't see him being a target for us regardless of their league status. He's a talented player for sure but not what we need. 

Non-starter for me at this point. We don't leak transfer targets unless we want to do so and the deal is done. 

Is that a bad goals return? I dont remember us having too many comparable to that in the premier league in recent years. Plus he is one goal in every three games this season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

It's really simple, but we lack players who rack up pure goals and assists. Who else other than Watkins in this squad could you say could realistically hit 10 Prem goals in a season? Brighton have four, for comparison.

The bedding in period for Barnes will be much simpler, too: no need to move houses given Bodymoor Heath is an hour's drive away. Combined with Leicester's probable relegation and the fact they're broke as it is, and I think it'll end up being a deal too good to turn down.

Think these are good points. 

One thing I would add is normally when a team get relegated it's because they both concede too many and don't score enough, whereas Leicester are unusually lopsided, having scored basically as many as we have. Their attack is pretty good, they've just been a complete shambles defensively. 

Now I suppose one retort to that is 'you defend as a team', and maybe Barnes doesn't provide enough cover for his full back; truthfully I don't watch them enough to have an informed opinion. But I think there's an argument that defensive positioning is something Emery can teach, whereas close ball control and explosive pace is something Barnes has that sets him apart from our current players. 

More I think about this the more I think it's a pretty good idea. 

• Like 1

Miles better than any wide player we have, always delivers solid numbers. Would be a good upgrade to the squad. 

I'm a little confused that there was a big hard on for Ferran Torres but not Barnes. 

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Is that a bad goals return? I dont remember us having too many comparable to that in the premier league in recent years. Plus he is one goal in every three games this season. 

He would be ahead of the likes of Bertie in the current squad, but I’d see him firmly on the bench otherwise, not a starter for me with the fees bandied about. The litmus test is if this a purple patch of goals.  

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think these are good points. 

One thing I would add is normally when a team get relegated it's because they both concede too many and don't score enough, whereas Leicester are unusually lopsided, having scored basically as many as we have. Their attack is pretty good, they've just been a complete shambles defensively. 

Now I suppose one retort to that is 'you defend as a team', and maybe Barnes doesn't provide enough cover for his full back; truthfully I don't watch them enough to have an informed opinion. But I think there's an argument that defensive positioning is something Emery can teach, whereas close ball control and explosive pace is something Barnes has that sets him apart from our current players. 

More I think about this the more I think it's a pretty good idea. 

But a closer look at his stats show there’s only been two seasons where he’s registered over 5 assists. 12 goals in that team is a great return but with only one assist isn’t as consistent as before. If they drop, I think £25m is fair price but I wouldn’t have him starting but as a good bench option and occasional starter.

I’d definitely take him just to stop him playing against us!

That aside he always looks a threat and his numbers are good.  Doesn’t necessarily strike me as an ‘Emery player’ though.

Barnes has always struck me as a winger that has good basic technical skills (touch, striking, finishing) and works hard but is reliant on his strength and pace to make anything. A bit of a flat track bully. Not necessarily a bad player, and were you to put him in our team tomorrow we're a better side, but not that revelatory either. I'd hope if we were looking to sign someone like Barnes, we'd be looking for better. And I don't think we're good enough to be talking to him saying 'You're a squad option'.

• Like 2

If Unai wants him, then I want him.

A player I’ve always rated, has perhaps gone a little bit stale at Leicester but still putting out good numbers despite their terrible season.

Could be a bargain to be had here, would definitely be an upgrade on Traore as a wide player.

• Like 1

145 games played, 34 goals and 25 assists for barnes in the premier league since 19/20, the season we came up. Thats some very good numbers considering he has been in a poor team this year and is still only 25 years of age. Has also played 12 Europa League games and got 4 goals and 2 assists. Definitely not going to turn my nose up at this signing

50 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

But a closer look at his stats show there’s only been two seasons where he’s registered over 5 assists. 12 goals in that team is a great return but with only one assist isn’t as consistent as before. If they drop, I think £25m is fair price but I wouldn’t have him starting but as a good bench option and occasional starter.

If I create 500 chances for you but  you only score 3 is that my fault or yours?

Â