Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

He would smash it for you lot, especially being under a manager who is going to get him confident again

He isn’t really one to take a defender on but he is quite different in that his interplay and ability to find pockets of space to receive a 1-2 is brilliant, just take a look at his goal vs West Ham

Him linking up with someone like Buendia who could play those passes back into him in tight spaces would be brilliant

We have been absolute crap all season, he has been sapped of all his confidence by Brodgers, yet he still managed to bag 13 league goals this season

Would easily get you around 20+ goal contributions next season with European football as well

Sounds like you guys are favourites as he doesn’t want to move too far away from the Midlands

Please give us preference but a loan or 2 though haha

What’s his pressing and defensive work like?  Could he improve on that area? 

10 hours ago, Fox1884 said:

He would smash it for you lot, especially being under a manager who is going to get him confident again

He isn’t really one to take a defender on but he is quite different in that his interplay and ability to find pockets of space to receive a 1-2 is brilliant, just take a look at his goal vs West Ham

Him linking up with someone like Buendia who could play those passes back into him in tight spaces would be brilliant

We have been absolute crap all season, he has been sapped of all his confidence by Brodgers, yet he still managed to bag 13 league goals this season

Would easily get you around 20+ goal contributions next season with European football as well

Sounds like you guys are favourites as he doesn’t want to move too far away from the Midlands

Please give us preference for a loan or 2 back though haha

You need Aaron Ramsey and Archer, do well for you as they did bringing a different dimension to Borough!

On 30/05/2023 at 11:56, Fox1884 said:

Please give us preference for a loan or 2 back though haha

Not just saying it because he scored that Worldie at your place but think Traore would be a decent pick up. If he can stay fit he'd hit double figures in championship so actually wonder if him or even Davis might be included in the deal if there's disagreement over say 5m in the price valuations.

3 minutes ago, floody555 said:

I'd love us to go for Barnes, but I think Newcastle may go in for him as well. If they do then UCL football wins I'm afraid

They've already got Almiron, Gordon and Saint-Maximn as wide options. Also finished the season with Wilson at CF and Isak playing wide left so not sure they need Barnes as much as Maddison.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They've already got Almiron, Gordon and Saint-Maximn as wide options. Also finished the season with Wilson at CF and Isak playing wide left so not sure they need Barnes as much as Maddison.

Yeah that went through my head as well but they're going to need depth in quality to be playing more game next season, Man city can literally name 2 different sides with the depth they have.

We obviously need more depth too, as we've been naming 2 GK's for a while. Just feel the UCL thing has more pull with players like Barnes, Maddison etc..

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think you'll find they're gonna clear house. The nicely nicely approach of not blowing mega millions is over once you secure ECL. Having capitalized on a weak Liverpool, Chelseas, (lol) Spurts etc., and once you get a taste of the sweet elixir, they're gonna want that ECL repeatedly.

It's not sustainable with the overachieving/kinda average squad they have. Save for a few exceptions, they're really a Europa League side.

On 04/06/2023 at 19:05, floody555 said:

Yeah that went through my head as well but they're going to need depth in quality to be playing more game next season, Man city can literally name 2 different sides with the depth they have.

We obviously need more depth too, as we've been naming 2 GK's for a while. Just feel the UCL thing has more pull with players like Barnes, Maddison etc..

Sorry to pick on you for this and I'm sure you and others will disagree, but this thing about City having a squad of players good enough to name 2 different sides just feels like a myth to me that doesn't stand up when looking at their declared squad. It is tiny and mainly gets through seasons due to good rotation by Pep. They regularly name 2 GKs as well or just 7/8 subs. They always seem to have one or two injured which essentially means the team picks itself for bigger matches. 

If you pick:

Ederson

Walker Dias Laporte

Stones Rodri

Mahrez De Bruyne Grealish

Haaland

Then your 2nd team is:

Ortega

Lewis Akanji Ake Gomes

Phillips Gundogan Silva

Palmer Alvarez Foden

They have some brilliant players in there but the whole back line is injury prone or untested, Palmer not shown too much yet and Phillips seems to be struggling with fitness and Gundogan out of contract, Ortega good back up option but a big step down from Ederson. 

To keep it on Villa, I feel the step down in quality would be similar for us but obviously on a different level to Man City, when naming a starting side and then a 2nd team. For me the obvious holes in the side currently is a right back, a solid backup keeper unless we trust Sinisalo and up front there's questions over who can support alongside Watkins and what Duran and Archer will be up to next season, sold loaned or given a chance. Midfield looks very good to me especially with Tielemans potentially coming in. 

I would expect one or both of Bailey / Traore to be leaving if we can get Barnes in which would be no bad thing in the long run. I like both of them and would prefer they are kept on and Emery finds a way to make them flourish, but I also think Barnes seems an obvious upgrade in that position right now, so if it's doable, get it done. We can't wait around forever for the Bundesliga Bailey to finally hit form in the Prem. 

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

Sorry to pick on you for this and I'm sure you and others will disagree, but this thing about City having a squad of players good enough to name 2 different sides just feels like a myth to me that doesn't stand up when looking at their declared squad. It is tiny and mainly gets through seasons due to good rotation by Pep. They regularly name 2 GKs as well or just 7/8 subs. They always seem to have one or two injured which essentially means the team picks itself for bigger matches. 

If you pick:

Ederson

Walker Dias Laporte

Stones Rodri

Mahrez De Bruyne Grealish

Haaland

Then your 2nd team is:

Ortega

Lewis Akanji Ake Gomes

Phillips Gundogan Silva

Palmer Alvarez Foden

They have some brilliant players in there but the whole back line is injury prone or untested, Palmer not shown too much yet and Phillips seems to be struggling with fitness and Gundogan out of contract, Ortega good back up option but a big step down from Ederson. 

To keep it on Villa, I feel the step down in quality would be similar for us but obviously on a different level to Man City, when naming a starting side and then a 2nd team. For me the obvious holes in the side currently is a right back, a solid backup keeper unless we trust Sinisalo and up front there's questions over who can support alongside Watkins and what Duran and Archer will be up to next season, sold loaned or given a chance. Midfield looks very good to me especially with Tielemans potentially coming in. 

I would expect one or both of Bailey / Traore to be leaving if we can get Barnes in which would be no bad thing in the long run. I like both of them and would prefer they are kept on and Emery finds a way to make them flourish, but I also think Barnes seems an obvious upgrade in that position right now, so if it's doable, get it done. We can't wait around forever for the Bundesliga Bailey to finally hit form in the Prem. 

No you're good my bro and I get your point, well put together I might add ;)

TBF that 2nd team albeit with a couple of youngsters thrown in, I think is still pretty strong given Pep ball is the way they're taught.

I'd like to think Villa can fish from the same pool as Newcastle this transfer window with Emery selling our project, but UCL will inevitably have a better pull will certain players. Look it's all speculation at the moment with who we're in for, so I'm taking the stance of laying back and enjoying the ride :) 

UTV

Â