Match Thread: Brentford v Villa

limpid

That was poor from us, poor 1st touches, poor hold up play and them pressing us into mistakes.

I know watkins states he has been told to stay in the middle and conserve his runs but not to the extent he is static,  which he has been.

The balls to mcginn have failed and moreno isn't managing bar 1 or 2 times, to get down their right. 

Ramsey had 2 decent moves where he made poor choices and they had possession again 

We need to wake up for the second half as we don't seem to have got out of 1st gear

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

The convention as it stands has nothing to do with whether they're absolutely certain or not, and that's the problem. They're being told to leave the flag down even when they know, which apart from anything else could lead to a situation where a player gets an otherwise avoidable injury during what is essentially dead play. It's absolutely daft and the example you provide is about poor officiating rather than whether the rule is good or not.

It's not, it's shite.

That’s not true. I’ve seen lots of examples of players being five yards offside and the flag goes up and the ref gives the offside because there’s no doubt about the decision. 

The example I gave is fine. There will always be potential for poor officiating. Hence, better leave it to a VAR review if the linesman isn’t sure about his decision. Ultimately the right decision gets made. 

The injury argument is daft. They’re just playing advantage, not being sent to a war zone. 

Very tough half. We’ve looked good in flashes, but Brentford the better team. They are nullifying our left side. Watkins hasn’t had a kick. Buendia looking good - just a fraction of the execution of his ideas. The sooner Kamara back the better. Dendonker sloppy today. 

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

He has been irritating me all round really.  Not as much as Birtles though.

I actually think he's been our best player, had our only serious shot on target and been drifting off their backline very well. Just hangs onto it a bit too long again but they're finding it difficult to pick him up so we need to keep feeding him the ball and hope he can find some space and killer pass.

• Like 2

Multiple players struggling with Brentford playing a tight mid block (compressing the space for Buendia/JJ/McGinn) when we have the ball in our own half but outside our own box. 

Then when we progress into their half, Brentford drop into a 532 and shields passes into the double pivot, letting Mings and Konsa have the ball. Similar to West Ham and Leicester away. 

Need to be a bit braver with the ball within our own half and when we progress into there’s. 

• Like 3

All a bit flat - not really created much - they're trying to get Mbuema on Moreno for power and Schade on Young for pace and we're stuttering a bit - Emi Buendia holds on to the ball for far too long - there's a lot of pressure on him to create, but so much of what we're doing breaks down on him - he's had McGinn wide open out wide two or three times but elected to dither on it.

We'll need to step up in the second half.

Fairly happy with the first half, it was always going to be tough. It’s pretty even so far but we really need to sharpen up second half, I’m not entirely comfortable with the amount of last ditch tackles we’re having to make. We need to gain some control in midfield, and find a way to get Watkins more involved. 

Oh and whoever that idiot dinosaur of a co-commentator is, I wish he’d **** off! 

• Like 1