• Traoré (Bailey 64)
    • Digne (Moreno 64)
    • Durán (Buendía 80)
    • Young (Cash 80)
    • Chambers (Watkins 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/03/23 at 23:59

One of various concerns is that we let Benrahma have 10 (ten) shots. For goodness sake. Just as well it was Benrahma and not Benzema, for example.

* Well Benrahma's good but what I mean is if it had been one of the top strikers in the world we'd probably have lost.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

To be fair, all the players are really playing for is to stay top of the bottom half. No chance of getting past 11th because Chelsea seem to have a vice like grip on 10th. You can tell they’ve got one eye on next season already, but we’ve got Steven Gerrard to thank for our season being over by March. Gonna be a long two months. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

Will take the point and move on. Played some good stuff at times but I think a draw was a fair result. 

Glad to see Watkins score again, should have had a second. Leon Bailey really starting to frustrate me now. It’s a very very soft pen but it was silly of Bailey to put his hands on him like that as it just gives the ref a decision to make and it would not be overturned by VAR so we’ve gifted them an easy chance to get back into the game. 

Was worried about Mcginn in midfield but he played well tbh. 

Would have lost this game under previous managers, so happy to take the point and hopefully get a win against Bournemouth to set us up nicely for a busy April. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, robby b said:

Kurt Zouma just now: "that was their only chance and they scored". Really? Ok Kurt so why exactly were you looking the other way when we had our other three attempts on target? Or do you just like to be very biased and tell barefaced lies perhaps? 

Was probably too busy thinking about the next cat he plans to kick...

Out of ten

Martínez 7 Good game

Cash 6 Not as bad as some think

Konsa 7 I thought it was one of his better games

Mings 7 Like Chambers was under-hitting some of his passes, otherwise imperious.

Moreno 7 My player of the match, but it could have gone to any of the sevens.

McGinn 7 Liked what I saw

Buendía 6 A lot of effort, which I think counts ... and again not as bad as some think

Luiz 7 I think he missed Kamara, but he looks really assured

Ramsey 6 Again I thought he was a lot more involved and effective than some think

Bailey 5 Soft penalty.

Watkins 7 Beautiful header.

Traoré 5 To me seemed a bit of a Bailey clone. But probably deserves some slack in that his first PL game in a while.

Digne 6 Too short a cameo, did OK

Durán 6 Too short a cameo, did OK

Young 6 Did OK

Chambers 5 hmmn.

Referee ... average

Unai ... some interesting subs, particularly giving Traoré a 30 min run. The game seemed to be played in slow motion for me. Villa try to open up West Ham and then play through them. Some nice moments of actual football. And West Ham settled down over the top and chase.

Result not really surprising given our injuries and small squad, which is telling:

Kamara missing

Buendia was a little ineffective 

Bailey was ineffective 

Ramsey was ineffective

So three being in effective isn’t great. We didn’t have upgrades available to these guys so a draw is OK away from home I guess?

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Our defeats under emery in League are Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Leicester (due to errors). Drew with West Ham and Wolves and won the rest. (including wins over Spurs, United and Brighton). 

We aren't going to get Europe but we really can get top 10 as I feel Fulham are there for us to catch for sure.

It’s a decent record isnt it? Bodes well for next season. But you are right, we know we have thrown points away in those results so it could be even better, but 3 points today would have helped. I think we can finish top half.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I continue to not understand the reactions on here at times, some of the stuff on the first page is just daft sorry.

I saw about 80% of the game and it looked fairly even to me, we had a couple of glorious chances, they had some good opportunities too. I didn’t see / haven’t seen the penalty but by all accounts it was soft as baby shit, again. 

West Ham away is not an easy match, a draw is a reasonable result particularly if we follow up with a win next weekend.

I feel the same way mate. A couple of good results and some fans think we should be winning every game. This is a game we would have lost in the past. We really should be looking at the positives. 

Also we saw today why selling Ings while we could was a good move. Very ineffective.  I’d love us to have Bowen though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Was probably too busy thinking about the next cat he plans to kick...

Blimey, I'd totally forgotten that he was the footballer who kicked his cat. I was just annoyed that it's blatantly rubbish what he said about us, having just "one chance". And as well as our four on target, though I didn't watch the match, I bet one or two of our eight off target attempts were decent chances.

• Like 1

Loved the little tactical switch after 60/70 mins by Emery.

Once we put the more defensively astute full back options on we gained control of the game, West Ham just couldnt get out of their half.

Love having a manager that can spot things like this and react to it.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I continue to not understand the reactions on here at times, some of the stuff on the first page is just daft sorry.

I saw about 80% of the game and it looked fairly even to me, we had a couple of glorious chances, they had some good opportunities too. I didn’t see / haven’t seen the penalty but by all accounts it was soft as baby shit, again. 

West Ham away is not an easy match, a draw is a reasonable result particularly if we follow up with a win next weekend.

Yeah we're at 1.77 ppg which is 67 over a full season. Which is in the hunt for CL last season form. We'd have ended 6th 4 points of Spurs in 4th

People need to see our 13 game form for what it is. The epitome of what we are aspiring to do as a club.

• Like 1

Soft penalty given, but I think it was a penalty.

Bailey doing a classic forwards attempt to win the ball back without considering the consequences or his position on the pitch. He turns and runs in to Paqueta, who had barely moved because his touch was rubbish and didn't get the ball out of his feet. That might be considered bad luck, but he's got to have more awareness than just blindly running into a forward that is facing away from goal in the Penalty area. You can't assume in that scenario. A defender knows this.

When Paqueta then gets the ball away and tries to run after the ball, Bailey's right leg is directly behind Paqueta's left leg, so as he lifts his left foot up to run, it hits Bailey's leg, bounces straight back into the ground and he falls over.  VAR is never overturning a ref that gives that as a penalty, as there was contact. The hand on the shoulder was nothing,  but that isn't what VAR should have been looking at anyway, although probably was and probably is what they didn't overturn it on.

Spam should have had a penalty a few minutes later anyway, so even if the above was a soft decision that could have gone either way and unluckily for us went against, we then got lucky that they didn't have another.

The rest of the game was a borefest because West Ham don't even attempt to play football. They don't press, they don't pass. They're atrocious and will deservedly go down if they continue like that.

We had plenty of chances to score a second, so feel like a draw was a fair result overall.

We did OK considering our best player is injured and another sign of our progress that a draw away to West Ham feels like a lost 2 points. 

• Like 1

Â