• Traoré (Bailey 64)
    • Digne (Moreno 64)
    • Durán (Buendía 80)
    • Young (Cash 80)
    • Chambers (Watkins 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/03/23 at 23:59

22 hours ago, Mantis said:

Not too dissatisfied with that. Was always going to be a tough fixture and we played well at times, not so well at other times.

As usual, West Ham got all the decisions. Outside of the top 6 they're easily the most favoured club for some reason.

You can't have an olympic stadium in the Championship

17 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

What game where you watching?

Bailey looked like he had just got out of  bed and did not  give a rats arse..he did not track back either for the most part.

He has been poor lately just like he was in germany..runs too hot and cold..needs to be given his marching orders in the summer.

McGinn was poor for numerous games. How is he doing now? Matty Cash, likewise. 

It's usually the way with wide players, they can sometimes look anonymous, but to question his commitment, that's just wrong. A player who doesn't care is not going to sob his heart out when missing a sitter. Like I said, it was McGinn who was getting it from all sides, but now he's found some form, let's pick on someone else. Villa fans love a scapegoat, fortunately, I'm not one of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

What do people on here criticising the pace of play want us to do yesterday.  Kick the ball long or pass risky balls through 4-5 players to speed it up?  Because that’s exactly what Moyes wanted 

I take your point ... you can only play what's in front of you.

Despite thinking we were the better team ... West Ham outshot us, had more shots on goal and out cornering us. The discussion Kentvillan and I were having is why rate Unai as average.  I was asking has he brought out the best in our players. Bailey, in particular, Chambers and perhaps Ramsey and Cash (I thought the latter 2 were fine).  A draw at West Ham is not a bad result, but West Ham are not a great team, hence my average rating for Unai. 

On 12/03/2023 at 15:59, DJBOB said:

Rotten little set up Moyes has for West Ham. Yes we should’ve had more quality but what god awful watching for West Ham fans. 11 players back in a low block and then long route 1 punts when they get the ball. 

Hope they go down. 

The famous West Ham way 

• Haha 1

Just watched the game back. 1-1 seems about fair given the chances at both ends, although the penalty award was ridiculous.

I thought we would see more teams use the same tactics as Leeds and Leicester against us with a high press through the middle but West Ham sat off then played diagonals which seemed to work for them. I think the long diagonal balls are something we will have to accept on the left hand side if we are going to play with an attacking full back like Moreno but I wonder if Emery will try to shore up the right side of our defence rather than have another attacking player like Cash.

Little surprised at some of the criticism of Ramsey. He played quite well I thought, making intelligent runs forward and should've had an assist. Motm goes to McGinn for a nice controlled performance in an unfamiliar role. Mings, Konsa, Moreno, Buendia and Watkins were also good.

More power and pace at the top end of the pitch would give our attack an added dimension. Watched Newcastle yesterday vs Wolves and they had too much power for them with Isak, Almiron, Saint-Maximin etc. Signing Duran is a good start and adding another like Williams would help also.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mantis said:

We don't time waste from the first minute though?

Literally in the first few minutes Martinez had the ball at his feet for about a minute waiting for someone to close him down.  I know there are reasons to want to pull someone out of position but there has to be a limit.  What if no-one closes him down, do we just settle for 100% possession and a draw?  

13 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

The home team westham played a 4-1-4-1 and their striker basically sat in the centre circle without pressing.  

What do people on here criticising the pace of play want us to do yesterday.  Kick the ball long or pass risky balls through 4-5 players to speed it up?  Because that’s exactly what Moyes wanted 

We've had a whole weeks rest and preparation, they played a few days before and had a decent travel home.  I just think we could have pushed them a little harder that's all. 

17 minutes ago, Adman said:

Literally in the first few minutes Martinez had the ball at his feet for about a minute waiting for someone to close him down.  I know there are reasons to want to pull someone out of position but there has to be a limit.  What if no-one closes him down, do we just settle for 100% possession and a draw?  

Yeah ... it was great. If you were a West Ham fan, how pissed off at that would you have been?

Edited by fruitvilla

1 hour ago, Adman said:

i think we can all agree that's an absurd question.  no home team is ever going to sit back for 90 minutes and let that happen.....  West Ham did not, and it pulled them out as intended.  If it takes a few minutes to set the tempo, strategy, and spacing, it's absolutely the right thing to do.

12 hours ago, Adman said:

We are away from home, it's upto the home team to push the game especially when they need a win so badly. Its 'clever play' from us and long may it continue.  Once we have a base built on this 'clever play' we can become more expansive. 

14 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

Just watched the game back. 1-1 seems about fair given the chances at both ends, although the penalty award was ridiculous.

I thought we would see more teams use the same tactics as Leeds and Leicester against us with a high press through the middle but West Ham sat off then played diagonals which seemed to work for them. I think the long diagonal balls are something we will have to accept on the left hand side if we are going to play with an attacking full back like Moreno but I wonder if Emery will try to shore up the right side of our defence rather than have another attacking player like Cash.

Little surprised at some of the criticism of Ramsey. He played quite well I thought, making intelligent runs forward and should've had an assist. Motm goes to McGinn for a nice controlled performance in an unfamiliar role. Mings, Konsa, Moreno, Buendia and Watkins were also good.

More power and pace at the top end of the pitch would give our attack an added dimension. Watched Newcastle yesterday vs Wolves and they had too much power for them with Isak, Almiron, Saint-Maximin etc. Signing Duran is a good start and adding another like Williams would help also.

Agree with this - really need someone to consistently be able to win duels 1v1 when attacking their third. Ollie is great at many things but beating people with the ball isn't one of them. Moreno and JJ combined well so most of our attacking went down their way until they started hitting diagonals behind Moreno. And Bailey, bleh...

The high press that Leicester and Leeds used is a high gamble for the opposing team too and Moyes cynically decided to play like the away side. I think you might occasionally get a Leicester result against Villa with the way we're playing under Emery but it risks a lot of exposure for their back line and was something that Moyes wasn't willing to risk and just wanted to ground it out and potentially knick something on a cross or a corner where we're vulnerable.

Edited by DJBOB

Â