Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/23 at 23:59

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

Didn’t Pickford put van dijk out for a season doing something v similar a couple of years ago? It’s dangerous play and needs punishing. No other Goalkeeper leads into 1 on 1s with a leg breaking challenge 

Ollie is thankfully he didn't end up like VVD or Wesley. It was a disgraceful scissored lunge.

16 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The win was most important, the clean sheet a lovely bonus.

McGinn put in a beautifully dogged performance today. My only complaint in regards McGinn is that sometimes he wasn't quick enough to help Cash. 

Digne is really struggling for form. I understand why he started, as Everton are a big strong outfit, and Dyche has injected some extra aggression into their play. Emery clearly selected the biggest, strongest defense and midfield he could have fielded bar Dendonker.

Poor performance overall today though. Struggled to play out, struggled to find teammates with the ball, struggled to build attacks. It was a backs to the wall effort against a poor (but improving) Everton team. Not what I want to see going forward.

The defense as a whole is too slow with the ball, when playing out, defenders taking too many touches. This really needs eed sorting.

Ref was poor today, as usual. Got the important decisions right though.

Buendia did two lovely things, contributed to a goal, and scored one. Otherwise he was constantly giving the ball away. 

Konsa was poor today, he was getting bullied out there today, lacks conviction in possession. 

Cash was dogged, but let McNeil look like a good player.

Mings was solid, looked the most assured of our defenders.

Martinez made a couple of important saves, and his distribution was improved on last weeks showing.

Ramsey worked hard and got Digne out of trouble a couple of times. Gave the ball away less than most.

Kamara had a poor game struggled with the power of Doucore and Onana. Luiz was good on the ball, but overpowered at times.

Watkins made it 5 in 5. Workman like performance, got tackled everytime he tried to take a defender on.

Bailey worked hard, looked lively, but like Watkins had very little service, unlike Watkins lacks the strength to compete for high balls, and balls over the top.

Important win, which was needed to get over 3 disastrous results. Barely kept a clean sheet against a team that's only scored 16 goals in 24 games. 

Good result, must improve!

Brave Post.....In light of some references to negativity in the match thread.

I would call that ...perspective, and an honest and apt assessment.

There is a lot to do, and a long way to go, to improve the overall play.

but a Great result, away, against a team fighting for its life.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, imavillan said:

it's the same as Talkshite....liberate yourself and don't bother with it

some people really need to give their head a wobble

Yeah.....especially those that talk about the game as they see it......and not about next weeks game thats in our dreams.

Its one thing being positive....its another thing maintaining nothing negative exists, and everything is rosey.

I think opinions should be respected from all quarters....positive or negative.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, limpid said:

What does "got the ball" have to do with it? If the intention is to foul, it's a foul. Winning the ball is utterly irrelevant.

Its the kind of thing an ex-player says in commentary.

I see your point, but its hard to establish.

Thats the tricky bit, most of us, wrestle with, inc officials....so they use the ball as the benchmark.

First to the ball, gets impunity....rightly or wrongly.

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think there is an onus on teams at Home, to take the game to the opposition, that requires, keeping the ball, that requires ball control and a physicality, to stay on it, ....I think we still lack a few things, in the team to give us good home form.

We like to let teams have the initiative, defend in numbers, and catch them on the counter.....That lends itself to an away style.

Since Jack has left, we have very few players, who can CARRY the ball with impunity.....we lose it far too easily and far too often....and also give it away, cheaply in passing at times.

I am not sure, it can be coached in to them......I think it will require, new personnel.

I agree with this for the most part...

Emery is an elite Coach though so he will improve some of the current players and won't be too drastic in either selling or buying too many players too soon.

McGinn looks to be a great example, his performances have improved immensely based on the last two games.

Improvements also in the likes of Watkins, Luiz etc.

Villa need a few more winners around though, Guendouzi seems to fit the bill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Ray Davies says Hi.

One time on Twitter I told Dave Davies that they recorded Give the People What they Want all wrong and that it sounded like they recorded it inside a metal tube and that the drums were too loud. 

😆 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Brave Post.....In light of some references to negativity in the match thread.

I would call that ...perspective, and an honest and apt assessment.

There is a lot to do, and a long way to go, to improve the overall play.

but a Great result, away, against a team fighting for its life.

We have to say what we see. Any criticism I give is meant as constructive.

We are a work in progress. Emery has instilled the ability to won ugly, but we can't do that all the time, football doesn't work that way. The best teams can play well and win against weaker teams most of the time, and win ugly against their equals and lessers when they need to.

We need to play well and win against the likes of Bournemouth, Southampton, Brentford and so on. Especially so when at home.

For me Everton, West Ham, and Wolves are exceptions down there as they have real quality. Onana, Doucore, Tarkowski, and DCL (when fit) at Everton. 

I probably wasn't entirely fair as Everton are a big strong outfit of the type that tend to make us suffer. However they lack quality in the final third  and aren't a possession based team, but they dominated us for periods, and created more then us.

• Like 1

Just watched the game back. Good old fashioned away win. Everton put us under pressure with their percentage style Dycheball but, aside from the Konsa ricochet, never really looked liked scoring. We got stuck in our own half a little too much but managed to create enough clear cut chances to win.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Yeah.....especially those that talk about the game as they see it......and not about next weeks game thats in our dreams.

Its one thing being positive....its another thing maintaining nothing negative exists, and everything is rosey.

I think opinions should be respected from all quarters....positive or negative.

Of course people are entitled to their opinion. It's what makes for a healthy debate.

But, have you ever been in the match thread and seen some of the comments?

When we are not playing well or someone is having an off day It's borderline mass hysteria

then, on the other hand, when we are winning, all of a sudden it's Europe here we come.

I for one don't bother with it now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

whats funny @TRO

you are very good at responding to so many posts with prophetic answers...

i ask a question have you ever been in the match thread....and???

come on chap, you are better than that...

• Haha 1

Well done on the three points Villa

Some of the reactions are naive, that was a very good performance as well as win, Everton had just won their previous two home games and are much improved since Dyche has come in, they were always going to make it difficult for us, we're not Arsenal or Man City, we were never going to dominate them just because they're near the bottom of the table, game was just about putting in a good away performance, killing their momentum, and taking our chances, which we did.

Teams much better than us put in these kind of performances all the time and it's seen as one of the hallmarks that makes them such good teams.

We had a lot of pressure on us as well, if we'd have lost would have been four defeats in a row and would have been just four points ahead of Everton, that's just four points ahead of a team that many are saying are favorites for relegation, which I think just goes to show how one game can change people's perceptions, if Everton had have beat us then I bet most of the talk surrounding them now would be about how Dyche is going to keep them up.

Wasn't even as if Everton dominated us either, we had more possession, made more passes, and ultimately were more ruthless in front of goal, maybe because I watched the replay and knew that they wouldn't score, but at no point did I fear our goal was under serious threat, overall we were just about the better team on the day, as much as it would have been nice to be even more explicitly the better team, to have bested them at all was good going considering all the circumstances.

They're going to continue to struggle at times, but we won't be the only team they give a good to between now and the end of the season.

• Like 1

Â