Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/23 at 23:59

16 hours ago, imavillan said:

whats funny @TRO

you are very good at responding to so many posts with prophetic answers...

i ask a question have you ever been in the match thread....and???

come on chap, you are better than that...

I was defending folk, in the match thread.....saying what they saw.

I might possibly have prophetic views on our overall direction......but games in advance are more difficult....generally, I admit, I have no idea....our football is not convincing enough for me to predict.

The point I was getting at , is when folk talk about the game in question, and others start talking about moments in other games.

Its like.....We might go on a run now, but we might not.

15 hours ago, useless said:

Well done on the three points Villa

Some of the reactions are naive, that was a very good performance as well as win, Everton had just won their previous two home games and are much improved since Dyche has come in, they were always going to make it difficult for us, we're not Arsenal or Man City, we were never going to dominate them just because they're near the bottom of the table, game was just about putting in a good away performance, killing their momentum, and taking our chances, which we did.

Teams much better than us put in these kind of performances all the time and it's seen as one of the hallmarks that makes them such good teams.

We had a lot of pressure on us as well, if we'd have lost would have been four defeats in a row and would have been just four points ahead of Everton, that's just four points ahead of a team that many are saying are favorites for relegation, which I think just goes to show how one game can change people's perceptions, if Everton had have beat us then I bet most of the talk surrounding them now would be about how Dyche is going to keep them up.

Wasn't even as if Everton dominated us either, we had more possession, made more passes, and ultimately were more ruthless in front of goal, maybe because I watched the replay and knew that they wouldn't score, but at no point did I fear our goal was under serious threat, overall we were just about the better team on the day, as much as it would have been nice to be even more explicitly the better team, to have bested them at all was good going considering all the circumstances.

They're going to continue to struggle at times, but we won't be the only team they give a good to between now and the end of the season.

I think under the circumstances, that was a tremendous win.....good performance, not for me sadly.......If you include scrapping for the win, yes, but it was not one for the purists.... we got caught on the ball far too often for me to say, good performance.

I think the goals tinkered with the view of the game......as for threats, Konsa' s inadvertent ricochet, back across goal was enough for me, to thinlk of as a threat....and all for Emi's fab save from Onana, was too close for comfort too.

However, I am a win first, play well second, kind of fan.....so I am well pleased.

I still don't think we are playing convincing football, with any consistency, so I have that to look forward to......we have really good moments or passages of play to score our goals, we don't dominate any teams, with any regularity.

Thats still to come for me.

It was a good win and a good performance.

Good performances are more than just dominating teams, sometimes a different kind of good performance is required, which is what we did on Saturday.

If a team like Arsenal put in a performance like that against Everton they get praised for finding a way to win.

Anyone who doesn't think it was a good performance is just under estimating the task that was at hand, Dyche has given them a big lift, especially at home where they've won the the last two, they were always going to give us a difficult game with the crowd and momentum behind them.

It's easy to say we should be doing this and that, or that we should be playing like which ever team happens to be doing well at the moment, I remember people begging for us to play like West Ham a year or so back, they weren't dominating teams, they were putting in battling performances, defending well, and scoring when they had a chance, which is what we did in this particular game.

I watched replay with Brian Little on co-commentary and he's in agreement with me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I think under the circumstances, that was a tremendous win.....good performance, not for me sadly.......If you include scrapping for the win, yes, but it was not one for the purists.... we got caught on the ball far too often for me to say, good performance.

I think the goals tinkered with the view of the game......as for threats, Konsa' s inadvertent ricochet, back across goal was enough for me, to thinlk of as a threat....and all for Emi's fab save from Onana, was too close for comfort too.

However, I am a win first, play well second, kind of fan.....so I am well pleased.

I still don't think we are playing convincing football, with any consistency, so I have that to look forward to......we have really good moments or passages of play to score our goals, we don't dominate any teams, with any regularity.

Thats still to come for me.

I thought we were poor. Didn't once cut them open, gave the ball away too much. Luiz, Bailey  cash poor. 

3 hours ago, useless said:

Good performances are more than just dominating teams, sometimes a different kind of good performance is required, which is what we did on Saturday.

If a team like Arsenal put in a performance like that against Everton they get praised for finding a way to win.

Anyone who doesn't think it was a good performance is just under estimating the task that was at hand, Dyche has given them a big lift, especially at home where they've won the the last two, they were always going to give us a difficult game with the crowd and momentum behind them.

It's easy to say we should be doing this and that, or that we should be playing like which ever team happens to be doing well at the moment, I remember people begging for us to play like West Ham a year or so back, they weren't dominating teams, they were putting in battling performances, defending well, and scoring when they had a chance, which is what we did in this particular game.

I watched replay with Brian Little on co-commentary and he's in agreement with me.

Hard Place to go to but def not a good.performance. we  couldn't put a string of.passes together and everton were camped in out half. For me a lack of width is killing us and we need a player who can do what Bailey is supposed to do. Poor performance

• Like 1

On 26/02/2023 at 11:09, TRO said:

Brave Post.....In light of some references to negativity in the match thread.

I would call that ...perspective, and an honest and apt assessment.

There is a lot to do, and a long way to go, to improve the overall play.

but a Great result, away, against a team fighting for its life.

Great Post. Just watched the game back and we were poor in most departments.  Luiz was poor and gave the game away, no inter play between the ayers to open up everton and as you say, passing out of defence has not.born fruit yet. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

I think its about opinions.....I accept much of what you are saying and I also accept it doesn't have to be champagne football to be a good performance......A good solid defensive display, can render a good performance.

but I think its hard to be caught on the ball, lose the ball, and give it away cheaply, with regularity, and say thats a good performance.....a good result, yes.

I think we need to show more quality on the ball, both offensively and defensively, to claim good performances.....its all in context of course.

I say this with respect, I think you are confusing results with performances......Arsenal may have played with quality in their play, but lost, it happens......I just thought some of our player was untidy,  scrappy and uneasy on the eye, despite being determined and resolute....as much as I applaud us for being resolute, untidy play can smack of unconvincing.

I will take wins, all day long over spectacle, but if we are to move up the league our work has to be more convincing, we will not convince outsiders playing like that first half.....The result of 0-2 was fine, nowt wrong with that.

I am not trying to be critical of our result, it was great.....just trying to say, what we have to do, consistently, to convince outsiders we are the real deal.

Edited by TRO

Good result but not a great performance.

We have players that are far to casual on the ball and in closing the opposition down when they have the ball.

We struggle to win 50/50's. We stop playing when we think the refs going to blow or think he should be blowing. We have players whos arms are in the air requesting offsides / fouls while the opposition continue to play or we pause on the ball waiting for the ref to blow when we should be just carrying on playing.

We have many diamonds but also a few players who are not consistent enough and can be reckless and half arsed. We need at least another leader on the pitch who's willing to give both barrels when these players start to lose concentration.

We are still very much a work in progress but the resilience we showed against Everton was fantastic and shows we are growing as a squad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tinker said:

Good result but not a great performance.

We have players that are far to casual on the ball and in closing the opposition down when they have the ball.

We struggle to win 50/50's. We stop playing when we think the refs going to blow or think he should be blowing. We have players whos arms are in the air requesting offsides / fouls while the opposition continue to play or we pause on the ball waiting for the ref to blow when we should be just carrying on playing.

We have many diamonds but also a few players who are not consistent enough and can be reckless and half arsed. We need at least another leader on the pitch who's willing to give both barrels when these players start to lose concentration.

We are still very much a work in progress but the resilience we showed against Everton was fantastic and shows we are growing as a squad.

really good resume....I am with you 100%

On 26/02/2023 at 01:49, rubberman said:

I hope they do. Alongside Southampton, Bournemouth, Leeds and West Ham. 

(possibly a bit greedy to hope for a rule change to 5 teams relegated) 

Rubberman,  can you add Man City to the list in your application for a rule change!

On 28/02/2023 at 06:55, Nigel said:

Does anybody still read match threads this long after a game?

Yes. Just on the last page now.

It's my train commute reading. 10 minutes snatched on the way in and home 

Avoid reading it before then 👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes. Just on the last page now.

It's my train commute reading. 10 minutes snatched on the way in and home 

Avoid reading it before then 👍

I think no one will read this conversation..... 

• Haha 2

Â