Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/23 at 23:59

Didn’t watch earlier so watching MOTD. Seemed to be a bit shot first half and should have been behind, turned up second half. We’re in transition as a team this year, we’ll be a different animal next year.

Oh and Danny Mills is a knob

Everton fans seem bitter about the penalty. Not sure what they have to complain about. Clearly showed on MOTD Gana didn’t touch the ball but irrespective if he touches the ball he goes straight through the back of McGinn to make the challenge, he takes the player out first. I get that fans see things they want to but it’s basic rules of football nowadays, you can’t go through your opponent from behind. It was a stupid tackle to make. 

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

• Digne - I don't know if it was because he was playing against Everton and the crowd was on his back or if he's losing confidence, but he was dreadful again today.  Blatantly being targeted by the opposition now. 

Good post except for this sentence.  I thought Digne did a great job at the task he was most needed.   McNiel and Muapay (and sometimes others) were overloading our right side and then crossing in.  At least three times Digne was doing his job and marked out the weak side runner and saved us.  He wasn't flashy in the attack, but that was not his primary assignment or where he was most needed.  Nice job in an easily unseen critical role.  (IMO of course)

• Like 2

The contact on McGinn was soft but was clear contact all the same. Whether or not it would have been called a foul elsewhere on the pitch is debatable but the contact impeded McGinn from having a shot so fair penalty in my view 

9 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

The people management I liked today was ... he gave JJ 90 min. And for the people who thought JJ was absent, Unai must have seen something (I thought I did too). I wonder why no Durán minutes ... but is that a good sign?

I think no minutes for Duran are because of the position in the game. He's been useful for injecting energy but he also showed some immaturity against Arsenal particularly over his missed chances. At one nil you need to be sound defensively and decisive when a chance comes. He needs to earn the right to be used at those moments. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, limpid said:

What does "got the ball" have to do with it? If the intention is to foul, it's a foul. Winning the ball is utterly irrelevant.

Its the kind of thing an ex-player says in commentary.

I have watched it loads of times and can't decide how to call it tbh, it's dangerous and it's Ollie's ball to lose so I would say it probably is a penalty........ but the confusion caused by poor officials is killing the game.

It's giving advantages to teams that winge the most and the loudest, Arsenal being the prime example. 

Screenshot_20230226_081114_Chrome.jpg

Didn’t expect a win before the game but it’s about time Villa won this kinda game. Started well and then all of a sudden Everton were all over us. Wasn’t pretty viewing at times, was expecting one of the many McNeil crosses to land in an awkward place at some point. 

Watkins is loving life as the main man like 2 seasons ago, different player under Emery and  with the fixtures got coming up got a chance to extend his run. Was a bit concerned seeing Buendia on the bench as wasn’t sure where the creativity was going to come from in the final third but at least we had the option off the bench. Made an instant impact with the assist for the penalty and took his goal well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Steve said:

How was this not a red?

Didn’t Pickford put van dijk out for a season doing something v similar a couple of years ago? It’s dangerous play and needs punishing. No other Goalkeeper leads into 1 on 1s with a leg breaking challenge 

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Suddenly Ollie is in the form of his life. 

Weird game. Still lots of kinks to iron out but our superiority showed in the end. 

Onward!

Ray Davies says Hi.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Great just to get the points on the board really with a not great performance. Watkins, McGinn & Buendia were our best performers.

Everton turned into Burnley so quick, so credit to Dyche for that. 4 out of 5 wins on the road is top form though, pleasing win. 5 in 5 for Ollie was great to see, he really deserves his flowers atm; great to see Emi pop up with another brilliant goal against this lot again too. Happy days

similar to O'Neill days in the context of good away results, not so good at home.

16 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Excellent away win. Pity there has to be so much moaning on the match thread - some fans are so negative!

Thats what you get Mike, playing Nervy Football....doubters/Nervy fans.

However, it was a great result and a few good passages of play leading to good goals.....I will leave it there.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Emery said in his post-match he needs to find a solution to our home form.

Hopefully starting with a win against Palace.

I think there is an onus on teams at Home, to take the game to the opposition, that requires, keeping the ball, that requires ball control and a physicality, to stay on it, ....I think we still lack a few things, in the team to give us good home form.

We like to let teams have the initiative, defend in numbers, and catch them on the counter.....That lends itself to an away style.

Since Jack has left, we have very few players, who can CARRY the ball with impunity.....we lose it far too easily and far too often....and also give it away, cheaply in passing at times.

I am not sure, it can be coached in to them......I think it will require, new personnel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jareth said:

They also rode their luck with that Pickford save from Watkins - 1-3 would have been a fair result so 0-2 also fair - we were better up top. 

So was Erica

Erica Rowe with the villa lads.jpg

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Every time we play out from the back I am just waiting for us to lose the ball in midfield. We were lucky not to be punished today. UTV

Our Ball control is iffy, to be playing it too often....first touch and it gets under our feet, a bit too much for me to be relaxed with it.

I understand the benefits, but I think its a trade off, too.

Â