Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/23 at 23:59

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We have the mother of all curses over Everton don't we?

drunk-dancing-phd.gif

Yes we do! They must be so fed up with us these days.

They ruined my last day out at Villa Park... I suppose I have just about forgiven them but haven't forgotten. They're the only team that have beaten us out of the home games I've been to.

I generally don't like giving MOTM to a man that only played about 30 minutes, but Buendia almost broke my bias.  Went for Watkins over 90, but SJM was in the running as well.  A clean sheet (despite the match thread moaning) actually seemed reasonably comfortable to me.  We are slowly growing into a work it out from the back slowly kind ot team.  But it's by no means a polished product yet.  Our playing it out s too reliant on a predictable pattern rather than any real fluidity which is necessary for it to really work beautifully.   Clean sheet, Ollie kept his streak, the boys are learning the system.  only petty things to complain about.

• Like 2

Not going to lie, that was one of the worst ref'ed games I've seen this season.  I'd be fuming if I was an Everton fan.

MOM - Ollie - Outstanding when the ball came his way.  Getting back to his best with hold up play.

Honorable mentions:

• Kamara - Outstanding again today as well.  Back to his best on both sides of the ball.  His passing forward is something special at times and I found myself amazed he was able to thread the needle on several key passes forward.
  • McGinn - I was critical of him in the first half, but he was everywhere in the 2nd half.  Buendia on for Bailey allowed him more space on the ball and options forward.
  • Mings - Kept us in the game with his goal line clearance and covering for Konsa's mistakes.  Unsung hero at the back once again.
  • Martinez - Another fantastic save in the first half to keep us in the game again.  
  • Buendia - Singlehandedly turned around our non-existent attacking threat when he came on. Deserved his goal and worked hard off the ball.

Improvement needed:

• Bailey - N'Zogbia 2.0 again...  It's really like playing with 10 men when he can't be bothered.  Needs to be the first player replaced this summer.
  • Digne - I don't know if it was because he was playing against Everton and the crowd was on his back or if he's losing confidence, but he was dreadful again today.  Blatantly being targeted by the opposition now.  
  • JJ - Was a little better in the second half, but was completely anonymous in the first.  Short on confidence right now and needs a goal to turn it around now.

Manager Performance:  Another solid win.  Players are short on confidence after 3 losses in a row, but after our two goals, we comfortably saw that out.  I'm continuing to back Emery 100%, regardless of the results.  He's a proven winner and he's going to get us back into Europe within 3 seasons at this rate.  That said, we will win some ugly games like this and lose others we should win, but that's part of the process.  

6 minutes ago, robby b said:

Yes we do! They must be so fed up with us these days.

They ruined my last day out at Villa Park... I suppose I have just about forgiven them but haven't forgotten. They're the only team that have beaten us out of the home games I've been to.

Tbf though during the 2010s when we were circling the drain we only very rarely beat them, and used to get smashed at Goodison Park every season it seemed.

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:
  • Digne - I don't know if it was because he was playing against Everton and the crowd was on his back or if he's losing confidence, but he was dreadful again today.  Blatantly being targeted by the opposition now.  
  • JJ - Was a little better in the second half, but was completely anonymous in the first.  Short on confidence right now and needs a goal to turn it around now.

I must have been watching the game on a different channel.

• Like 3

If you voted for any of these as PotM

Martinez, Cash, Mings, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Watkins, Buendia ... I agree with you.

Digne, Moreno, Konsa, Ramsey were OK

The penalty was really soft ... so soft it wasn't
Buendia's goal ... a thing of beauty.

The win was most important, the clean sheet a lovely bonus.

McGinn put in a beautifully dogged performance today. My only complaint in regards McGinn is that sometimes he wasn't quick enough to help Cash. 

Digne is really struggling for form. I understand why he started, as Everton are a big strong outfit, and Dyche has injected some extra aggression into their play. Emery clearly selected the biggest, strongest defense and midfield he could have fielded bar Dendonker.

Poor performance overall today though. Struggled to play out, struggled to find teammates with the ball, struggled to build attacks. It was a backs to the wall effort against a poor (but improving) Everton team. Not what I want to see going forward.

The defense as a whole is too slow with the ball, when playing out, defenders taking too many touches. This really needs eed sorting.

Ref was poor today, as usual. Got the important decisions right though.

Buendia did two lovely things, contributed to a goal, and scored one. Otherwise he was constantly giving the ball away. 

Konsa was poor today, he was getting bullied out there today, lacks conviction in possession. 

Cash was dogged, but let McNeil look like a good player.

Mings was solid, looked the most assured of our defenders.

Martinez made a couple of important saves, and his distribution was improved on last weeks showing.

Ramsey worked hard and got Digne out of trouble a couple of times. Gave the ball away less than most.

Kamara had a poor game struggled with the power of Doucore and Onana. Luiz was good on the ball, but overpowered at times.

Watkins made it 5 in 5. Workman like performance, got tackled everytime he tried to take a defender on.

Bailey worked hard, looked lively, but like Watkins had very little service, unlike Watkins lacks the strength to compete for high balls, and balls over the top.

Important win, which was needed to get over 3 disastrous results. Barely kept a clean sheet against a team that's only scored 16 goals in 24 games. 

Good result, must improve!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Everton always pick Iwobi against us and it's like playing against 10 men.  It's like the opposite to when I see Iheanacho on the Leicester team sheet and it feels like we give them a goal or two head start.  What a shit pointless player he is.

Shame Andre Gomes is out on loan as he usually plays against us and is always without fail crap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Exactly as expected. They were niggling to play against and took a while to break down, but comfortable in the end. 

We needed the creativity of little Emi and you could see us growing back in confidence. 

Downsides - big Emi getting another time wasting card and it's still really nerve-wracking watching them play out from the back. 

• Like 1

Â