• Ramsey (Coutinho 62)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 67)
    • Bailey (Buendía 67)
    • Digne (Moreno 78)
    • Durán (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/02/23 at 23:59

Just now, S-Platt said:

So where does that matter to a forward pass?

Oh ok, I see what you mean having read back the thread 😃

But it isn't a forward pass that's the thing anyway, it's the position of the receiving player when the ball is played. The ball trajectory doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Fair enough although 3rd was only partly luck, and bear in mind Odegaard has missed an absolute sitter.

3rd was offside , simple as that, line of view was blocked. We hit the cross bar right before they scored , yes they did have more of the game but the poor decision cost us. 

• Like 1

The corner D is classed as at the byline hence you can't be offside at a corner.

But you can play a forward pass if the player is behind you when you play it so I guess I am wrong in that sense 😜 

think of going threw on goal 2 against the keeper!

Anyway we played decent today I am happy and 3 sheets to the wind.

UTV

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Explaine?

Forward or backward pass is irrelevant. It’s not in the offside rules and never has been. Only the relative positions of players matter.

For example, you can play a backwards pass and be offside, if an attacker runs backwards from an offside position and collects the ball.

4 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I was at the game today. I don’t make many  because I live far away. You see things differently when at the game and a few things struck me. 

Martinez is way over used in open play in my opinion. Not only in playing out from the back but I was surprised how often we worked the ball back to our goalkeeper from advanced positions in the field. Furthermore, I don’t rate Emi particularly highly with this role. He’s not terrible but his distribution isn’t brilliant. Same for Konsa and Mings. Too much of our play seems to revolve around triangles between Emi, Mings and Konsa. I thought Ben White was very impressive and superb on the ball.

Villa Park is an amazing place. And you can sense the hunger of the crowd for success. My overriding feeling is positivity in spite of today’s disappointment. It feels like Martin O’Neill’s first season to me. We have a leaner squad primed for reinforcements and you can tell improvement is coming. Or we can hope at least. 

On a side note, I thought Douglas Luiz was a joy to watch. As was Kamara. I also thought Coutinho played well. 

I think that is  a valid point on Martinez. I think the rise of ball playing goalkeepers is one of the biggest changes in football in the past 10-15 years along with very attacking full backs and the death of the big man- little man two up top tradition. 

I hope you enjoyed your day apart from the last 8 minutes. 

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

Doug needs to go down at that point holding his face and VAR takes a look.

We're too soft , to willing to accept this type of shit with no ding dong. 

Their 3rd goal should have kicked off a whole escapade of protests , instead we just accepted the decision and walked away watching Arsenal celebrate a goal that should not have stood, plain and simple. Even if Emery got a red card protesting then I would accept it as a will to win, it's the difference between winners and losers. Arteta would have gone to the European court of appeal  if a decision like that had gone against him, he did last week and a ref got sacked.  

I totally agree - we need to be more aggressive in these incidents and less like little kitties rolling over to have our tummies tickled. Stop letting the big teams walk all over us. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think that is  a valid point on Martinez. I think the rise of ball playing goalkeepers is one of the biggest changes in football in the past 10-15 years along with very attacking full backs and the death of the big man- little man two up top tradition. 

I hope you enjoyed your day apart from the last 8 minutes. 

Thanks. Disappointing but a good day out. At least we got a few cheers. 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Forward or backward pass is irrelevant. It’s not in the offside rules and never has been. Only the relative positions of players matter.

For example, you can play a backwards pass and be offside, if an attacker runs backwards from an offside position and collects the ball.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. You can't be offside if you're behind the ball when it's played - if you receive the ball from a pass where the ball starts ahead of you, then you're onside. 

That's why you can't be offside from a corner - you start behind the ball.

• Like 2

If we're looking at the refereeing, I also think Arsenal should be picking up a fine for Xhaka and the celebrations.

He'd been substituted and made the decision to run from the bench right across the pitch to get involved in the celebrations - he ran past the referee who told him to go back and then the ref booked him when he was making his way back to the bench (and got an earful from Xhaka for it).

I appreciate that players get emotional, but letting one that isn't playing come off the bench and run 60 yards across the pitch is the dictionary definition of "failing to control your players".

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. You can't be offside if you're behind the ball when it's played - if you receive the ball from a pass where the ball starts ahead of you, then you're onside. 

That's why you can't be offside from a corner - you start behind the ball.

No I’m saying if an attacker is ahead of the player with the ball and runs away from goal to collect a pass that was passed backwards. Some think a backwards pass is a thing in the rules but it isn’t.

Wish we had a player like Odegaard. Thought he was excellent today and really bossed the game.  I reckon this is the kind of player Unai will look for in the summer and probably from Spain. A player that demands the ball throughout and really makes things happen. Controls the game. I like Buendia but I just don’t think he’s on the level we all want.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we're looking at the refereeing, I also think Arsenal should be picking up a fine for Xhaka and the celebrations.

He'd been substituted and made the decision to run from the bench right across the pitch to get involved in the celebrations - he ran past the referee who told him to go back and then the ref booked him when he was making his way back to the bench (and got an earful from Xhaka for it).

I appreciate that players get emotional, but letting one that isn't playing come off the bench and run 60 yards across the pitch is the dictionary definition of "failing to control your players".

Wonder if they get a fine , doubt it , were are to soft. Arsenal pressure the refs to swing decisions their way, we need to do the same.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wish we had a player like Odegaard. Thought he was excellent today and really bossed the game.  I reckon this is the kind of player Unai will look for in the summer and probably from Spain. A player that demands the ball throughout and really makes things happen. Controls the game. I like Buendia but I just don’t think he’s on the level we all want.

Yeah I think the key thing Emery will be looking for is decision making. Odegaard is a great decision maker. Our midfielders still look a bit naive at times.

• Like 1

Â