• Ramsey (Coutinho 62)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 67)
    • Bailey (Buendía 67)
    • Digne (Moreno 78)
    • Durán (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/02/23 at 23:59

11 hours ago, The_Steve said:

MOTD ignore the offside goal. Typical. 

MOTD take a very simple approach to things like that goal. They won’t bring it up unless the manager complains about it in the post match interview. 

That’s why Areteta complains about every throw in that he thinks is wrong. It builds up the perception among the fans and in the media that they are constantly in the wrong side of decisions. It’s something Mourinho did too. It’s an “us versus the world” mentality. 

I thought that the players gave everything they had yesterday and were as devastated as we were when those two late goals produced a score that more than flattered the Gooners, and their obnoxious entitled fans. I thought that a point was the least that we deserved and that opinion was reinforced when Forest stole a point with a late goal, from a game they could have been 5 down in, before they equalised, without a huge slice of luck.

Talking of luck, we really had none yesterday. Bailey hits the bar and the moments later they do the same, but in their case the ball bounces in off Emi's head and then in a moment of madness Emi decides to go up for a late corner. I'm sure I wasn't alone in predicting that would be very likely to end in tears and so sadly it did. Both late goals came in "Fergie Time", after the referee decided to penalise Emi for time wasting, having been implored to do so by their fans and players. Those two late goals cued wild celebrations from their players and their bench, despite their obvious relief and gloating, title races are seldom won in March though.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I’m reading on Twitter, that one of the goals of theirs should not have stood. Any merit in this?

Looked blatantly offside, but you know, Scum 6 and all that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

That’s an over reaction @TRO? We just put together a very decent attack resulting in a Bailey shot brilliantly touched onto the bar. They do the same sort of thing and their shot also rebounds onto Martinez’s unfortunate head - it’s a freak, tiny margins, sliding doors.

We pressure a corner in literally the final moment a the walk in the resulting transition in our open goal. Final whistle goes. 

Horrible, a distortion of the game, 2-2 in extra time only moments before.

that is simply denial of what has become, repeated scenario's.

The two goals were sublime, but you failed to reference the breaching of our goal, once again....our XGa is the worst in the league, under UE, when will the penny drop.

may I remind you, respectfully....There are 2 parts to football and attacking is not the only one.....no one is arguing, we had some great passages of play.....but Arsenal was camped in our half, second period.

Its not a freak or anything like a freak or tiny margins....its conceding 11 goals in 3 games with 2 full houses at Home.....Its simply not good enough.

You mention our close shaves, but Arsenal equally had misses, they would normally put away.

Look, we cannot concede at the rate we are and claim ambition......It simply doesn't stack up.....as unpalatable a discussion as it is, its reality, we stink defensively.

We need to sort the defensive side of our game out before it consumes us and this becomes, most games, else we will be dragged in to the unthinkable.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AstonMartyn88 said:

Agreed but I can’t find any record of Xhaka getting booked, which if true is annoying as I had money on him to be carded

That is annoying, I've just checked and I can't find it anywhere either, but I'm sure I saw it with my own eyes. 

image.png

Whichever, though, this is completely wrong no matter what the circumstance - we shouldn't have players that aren't involved in the game running 70 yards across the pitch and getting involved in celebrations. I hope there's some sort of complaint put in.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

*Other than Forest, Bournemouth, Fulham and Everton.

3 teams who are just acclimatising to the league in their first season back and one in ownership dissarray.....but under UE we are the worst.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our xGA is 9th best in the league according to this.

https://footystats.org/england/premier-league/xg

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 11.21.57.png

well the one presented by Laughing Chimp last night must be wrong then......I am talking about in UE's tenure.....maybe our wires are crossed.

but we don't need stats to prove our goals against dilemma....its shocking.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

well the one presented by Laughing Chimp last night must be wrong then......I am talking about in UE's tenure.....maybe our wires are crossed.

but we don't need stats to prove our goals against dilemma....its shocking.

It's shocking if you have a memory that lasts for three games.

We've conceded eleven in three games that included Manchester City and Arsenal.

We conceded three goals in our previous four Premier league games.

We've got some things we need to iron out, but we're not a defensive shambles, we've had a couple of individual errors, we need to work on defending short corners and we need to settle into playing out from the back.

We're not "the worst in the league" and I don't think it helps anyone when we make stuff up.

• Like 3

Having had time to think about yesterdays game......I am more Angry.

The only redeeming feature is that, Unai's angry too....which seems in contrast to some views....He was clearly fuming.

I have never been one to search for positives in a 4 goal reversal at home.....I'm more inclined to search for reasons why the 4 goals was conceded, to rectify the next game....and turn the next result in to a positive.

Its not negative to search for improvement, that in itself is positive.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's shocking if you have a memory that lasts for three games.

We've conceded eleven in three games that included Manchester City and Arsenal.

We conceded three goals in our previous four Premier league games.

We've got some things we need to iron out, but we're not a defensive shambles, we've had a couple of individual errors, we need to work on defending short corners and we need to settle into playing out from the back.

We're not "the worst in the league" and I don't think it helps anyone when we make stuff up.

XGA aLLOWED.png

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Having had time to think about yesterdays game......I am more Angry.

The only redeeming feature is that, Unai's angry too....which seems in contrast to some views....He was clearly fuming.

I have never been one to search for positives in a 4 goal reversal at home.....I'm more inclined to search for reasons why the 4 goals was conceded, to rectify the next game....and turn the next result in to a positive.

Its not negative to search for improvement, that in itself is positive.

The ref gave them their 3rd goal, it broke the offside rules, the 4th was a direct result of the 3rd .

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

that is simply denial of what has become, repeated scenario's.

The two goals were sublime, but you failed to reference the breaching of our goal, once again....our XGa is the worst in the league, when will the penny drop.

may I remind you, respectfully....There are 2 parts to football and attacking is not the only one.....no one is arguing, we had some great passages of play.....but Arsenal was camped in our half, second period.

Its not a freak or anything like a freak or tiny margins....its conceding 11 goals in 3 games with 2 full houses at Home.....Its simply not good enough.

You mention our close shaves, but Arsenal equally had misses, they would normally put away.

Look, we cannot concede at the rate we are and claim ambition......It simply doesn't stack up.....as unpalatable a discussion as it is, its reality, we stink defensively.

We need to sort the defensive side of our game out before it consumes us and this becomes, most games, else we will be dragged in to the unthinkable.

Yes we can be good losers in exciting games and some of our counter attacking football is sublime but the fact is we give away the ball too often. That could be down to Martinez , the back 4 but as a team we dont keep the ball well enough. If we keep the ball they cant hurt us. Also theres too many fundemental mistakes happening. Mings not playing the percentages for their first goal, no marking for the short corner in which the same thing happened against Stevenage. We have to be more switched on than that. 

Yes it was Arsenal we played against and they are a very good team but Everton with lesser players showed how you can beat them and  some knock their defenders but i would take Tarkowski over Mings or Konsa anyday. 

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

XGA aLLOWED.png

Now, I'm not an expert on these things, but it does seem to marry up with what, I see on match days recently....and I don't make things up, that was a cheap shot, by the way......This was not produced by me, but was presented by "Laughing Chimp" to highlight our poor defending under UE......to me, it seems relevant.

you seem to fail to acknowledge the Stevenage and Wolves capitulation.....you also seem to fail to acknowledge Nottingham Forests result yesterday against the mighty City, when you sugar coat our recent no shows.

We have a serious issue to fix, to avoid any relegation issues....if you think we can gun sling our way out out this, best of luck.......its easier to stop goals than score them.

I was as aware as you was yesterday, with our superb passages of play, but its simply cosmetic, when you concede 4....but did you also fail to see the long periods of occupation in our half, in the second period.

I am equally, aware of the value of the opposition, the same opposition, who we led for most of the game.....In snooker terms, we can't keep losing on the black.

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

The ref gave them their 3rd goal, it broke the offside rules, the 4th was a direct result of the 3rd .

I wish our lads just protested and challenged the third goal, we shouldn’t just roll over and accept it, especially with such an obvious offside. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes we can be good losers in exciting games and some of our counter attacking football is sublime but the fact is we give away the ball too often. That could be down to Martinez , the back 4 but as a team we dont keep the ball well enough. If we keep the ball they cant hurt us. Also theres too many fundemental mistakes happening. Mings not playing the percentages for their first goal, no marking for the short corner in which the same thing happened against Stevenage. We have to be more switched on than that. 

Yes it was Arsenal we played against and they are a very good team but Everton with lesser players showed how you can beat them and  some knock their defenders but i would take Tarkowski over Mings or Konsa anyday. 

Paul, I am with Luke Robinson UTV podcast.......I'm sick of it.

I get all the plaudits for the fancy play.....but we still lost and all these opponents are laughing at us.....That don't sit well with me.

We can moan about MOTD, but we write our own script, we are becoming irrelevant, with these results.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Paul, I am with Luke Robinson UTV podcast.......I'm sick of it.

I get all the plaudits for the fancy play.....but we still lost and all these opponents are laughing at us.....That don't sit well with me.

We can moan about MOTD, but we write our own script, we are becoming irrelevant, with these results.

Yes I saw that and many times I dont agree with him but on this I do. 

Â