• Ramsey (Coutinho 62)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 67)
    • Bailey (Buendía 67)
    • Digne (Moreno 78)
    • Durán (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/02/23 at 23:59

First time I think his subs haven't worked. I usually don't understand them but they improve us.

Ramsey was quiet again.

Luiz off hurt us, but I understand it as he was on a yellow.

Duran can't lead the line like Ollie yet.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

First time I think his subs haven't worked. I usually don't understand them but they improve us.

Ramsey was quiet again.

Luiz off hurt us, but I understand it as he was on a yellow.

Duran can't lead the line like Ollie yet.

It’s all opinions. For me I didn’t understand the subs either but I thought they worked. Arsenal were all over us until he made tha changes. When we changed the team we stabilised the game and even had two good chances to win. They obviously got two goals and closed the game out but I don’t think that was because of the changes, they actually helped turn the tide of the game IMO. 

• Like 1

For 90 minutes, we was ok....but sadly the 6 minutes extra time is what defines us right now.

for 90 minutes Arsenal can only muster 2 goals, reactively, but in 6 minutes, they proactively double their score.

something is sadly wrong with this team....it happens all too often.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wish we had a player like Odegaard. Thought he was excellent today and really bossed the game.  I reckon this is the kind of player Unai will look for in the summer and probably from Spain. A player that demands the ball throughout and really makes things happen. Controls the game. I like Buendia but I just don’t think he’s on the level we all want.

I thought Zinchenko looked class too.....that's what full backs look like.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought we were unlucky not to come away with a point in what was a pretty even game, we got to 92 minutes at 2-2 having just hit the bar and forced a decent save out of their keeper, so it's disappointing to be going home on the wrong end of a 4-2 scoreline.

There's absolutely loads to be positive about in that game though, I thought our overall play was really good, individuals played well, we looked dangerous, we had a threat from the bench and we have a manager who won't be easily pleased.

I thought we looked pretty solid in defence (yeah, I know, but we still did), lively and creative in midfield and threatening up top where I thought Ollie had the Arsenal defence worried all game. 

The managers substitutions were good, if a little surprising; I think you'd struggle for anyone else that would have taken Doug and Emi B off when he did, but I thought they all added something - it was particularly pleasing to see how much danger we added up front with Bailey and Duran - those two can be a huge threat in the last half hour of games, they're a handful for tired defenders.

And yeah, Arsenal found a way in the end, a bit of extra quality perhaps, a bit of extra 'need' at the top of the table, and a great big chunk of luck, with our effort against the bar falling generously for their defence and theirs going in off the back of our keeper.

I watched today's performance and couldn't help but think we look like a team that's not far off being able to compete at the top end of the table for European places, and then I remember having felt this way before a couple of times and it never seeming to quite come to fruition and I wondered what the extra bit we're missing might be. Hearing Emery's post match comments I think might have provided an answer to that question - he's not happy we played well, he's not suggesting it means we're heading in the right direction, he's angry, unsatisfied and on the players backs - I like that. I like it a lot. We look like a team that aren't far off being able to compete at the top of the table and we're led by a man who looks like he will not rest until we are. Good.

For Arsenal, I didn't see the Saka challenge that might have been a sending off well enough, but I can confirm that I could clearly see that he is a whiney little bitch all day long if that's helpful. I think epic wins do things for the character of sides and this one will have made them feel that the title is written in the stars this season - they might be right and I hope they beat City to take it. They have some really good players, enough fight, enough pace and enough ability to do so and Odegaard is for me one of the most underrated players in the country; he's superb. I'm sure they'll have a lovely journey home. They've been lucky today, but Champions often are.

Traditionally, after losing to City and Arsenal back to back, we'd put in a lacklustre effort against a bottom half team that are struggling - given Emery's response to this one, I think we might be pleasantly surprised.

Well f*** me, I’m off to find the nearest brick wall I can run through

23 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Yep and this one blasted into the top corner. didn't end up hitting leno for an own goal.

It's worse than that, read the report the Sun published, unbelievable.

SCREEN TO BE BELIEVED VAR shambles as John McGinn’s opening goal contentiously ruled out vs Arsenal… even though ref’s screen NOT turned on

10 hours ago, The_Steve said:

MOTD ignore the offside goal. Typical. 

Of course they will, doesn't fit with the big 6 bias, if that would have been a Villa goal it would have been chalked off 100%

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we're looking at the refereeing, I also think Arsenal should be picking up a fine for Xhaka and the celebrations.

He'd been substituted and made the decision to run from the bench right across the pitch to get involved in the celebrations - he ran past the referee who told him to go back and then the ref booked him when he was making his way back to the bench (and got an earful from Xhaka for it).

I appreciate that players get emotional, but letting one that isn't playing come off the bench and run 60 yards across the pitch is the dictionary definition of "failing to control your players".

Agreed but I can’t find any record of Xhaka getting booked, which if true is annoying as I had money on him to be carded

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I thought Ben White was very impressive and superb on the ball.

You are right, he is, he is so much more than just a CB, he is almost another outfield player. I thought Him and Saka were very good, Saka was almost their most offensive and effective player, it’s no wonder he is grabbing the headlines.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

For 90 minutes, we was ok....but sadly the 6 minutes extra time is what defines us right now.

for 90 minutes Arsenal can only muster 2 goals, reactively, but in 6 minutes, they proactively double their score.

something is sadly wrong with this team....it happens all too often.

That’s an over reaction @TRO? We just put together a very decent attack resulting in a Bailey shot brilliantly touched onto the bar. They do the same sort of thing and their shot also rebounds onto Martinez’s unfortunate head - it’s a freak, tiny margins, sliding doors.

We pressure a corner in literally the final moment a the walk in the resulting transition in our open goal. Final whistle goes. 

Horrible, a distortion of the game, 2-2 in extra time only moments before.

Â